Who here is NOT buying MW2?
Nov 13, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #181 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok ok good points.
tongue.gif

I know a lot of people who have abandoned their pcs for gaming due to cost. I'm inclined to agree with them. You get a console that will always have support and will be optimised. No fiddling around with drivers [especially multi gpu . . .ugh]. No need to upgrade for 3-6 years depending on when you entered. It's a much better from an economical perspective to be a console gamer. These friends of mine are much more hardcore than I am yet I have a pc only.

Honestly, I'll smile if and when pc gaming goes boom but as the 360 has shown, consoles can make a dent. . . actually a massive whack in pc gaming. No it's not about graphics, it's about cost and mass marketing. You can sell a console fairly easily and say that you have 4 years before the next one comes out. Look at gpus for the pc. Good luck. I'm still rolling with SLI 275s and also have a 260 in the non gaming rig [this one] and they are outdated and by next gen will struggle against a single gpu core. Woot, value for money! Did I even mention the depreciation with pcs? A 8800 Ultra was about 1200AUD in 2007 and would be worth about 100AUD now. That's some depreciation there.
tongue.gif

Whoa there, you have SLI GTX275's? Do you play at 2560x1600 with full AA or something? Of course it's going to be really, really expensive when you are upgrading most likely unnecessarily every year to the bleeding edge parts. I bought my e8400/hd4850 computer for like $650 last year, and I play most games on very high with lots of AA, but only on my 1360x768 hdtv. I've easily saved over a hundred dollars just because the games get cheaper much faster and are on sale more often, the DLC is usually free, and some mods greatly extend the life of some games. Compare that to consoles where game prices might drop $10 after 6 months to a year and most content costs more than it reasonably should. I understand that the cost difference between console games and pc games is even greater outside the US.

So unless you are obsessed with upgrading every time something new comes out, I'd say the costs even out or that PC might even be cheaper if you buy enough games. And this is in addition to previously stated advantages to PC's. You can also don't have the $50/yr xbox live fee, either.

The only thing I agree with you is the drivers and managing your computer. This can be a pain, but it is the cost of the flexibility of the PC platform. A small cost to pay for what you get, IMO.

P.S. How can you even look at console games when you have such a powerful PC? It has got to be like comparing xbox 360 to PS2.

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #182 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using:

WinXP Pro SP3
2GB value ram
Core Duo 3.0Ghz
HD4850 512mb (year old drivers)

And the single-player game runs decent at 720p with no anti-aliasing and graphical quality set to "normal". I was having serious slowdown issues on the airport level though, and I get drops when the action gets hectic. I'm just past BURGER TOOOOOOWNNN.

Try leaving on windows task manager when you are playing and see if your memory usage goes above 2GB. If it does, then the game is accessing a page file from your HDD, which could be your problem.

Nov 13, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #183 of 218
In the airport level it's the engine choking, too many on screen npcs. I even got some slowdown while mowing down civilians on my 3.2ghz q6600 4gb ddr2 1066 gtx295 system

Nov 15, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #184 of 218
I just beat the SP and *spoilers*...

..That was one short campaign. It was fun while it lasted, but it really didn't seem as meaty as the original MW. Kinda like how Resident Evil 5 was compared to RE4, I would say.

Quote:

Try leaving on windows task manager when you are playing and see if your memory usage goes above 2GB. If it does, then the game is accessing a page file from your HDD, which could be your problem.

Probably, although I have read that game isn't fully optimized for PC, and that the game can run iffy on Ati 4800s. And my rig is pretty bleh now...

Nov 15, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #185 of 218
Yeah I haven't played it nor am I going to, but I think the RAM would be behind stuttering. If it's actually the engine that can't even handle it though, then that's pretty disappointing.

Also, I have the same rig, except with 4GB of RAM and some overclocking. FWIR, MW2 isn't extremely more resource hungry than MW1, so you should be getting much better performance than you are. Perhaps it's time to update your drivers?

Nov 15, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #186 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was one short campaign. It was fun while it lasted, but it really didn't seem as meaty as the original MW....

And my rig is pretty bleh now...

Hehe, yup happens every 2 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickosha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand that the cost difference between console games and pc games is even greater outside the US.

So unless you are obsessed with upgrading every time something new comes out, I'd say the costs even out or that PC might even be cheaper if you buy enough games. And this is in addition to previously stated advantages to PC's. You can also don't have the $50/yr xbox live fee, either.

The only thing I agree with you is the drivers and managing your computer. This can be a pain, but it is the cost of the flexibility of the PC platform. A small cost to pay for what you get, IMO.

P.S. How can you even look at console games when you have such a powerful PC? It has got to be like comparing xbox 360 to PS2.

Ok addressing the above
smily_headphones1.gif

Firstly pc tech is pretty pricey, mostly due to the ER risk.

I have never thought about the games being cheaper but you'd have to play a heck of a lot of games to recoup the difference. Secondly, most current pc games have crazy DRM. ie, Mass Effect can only be installed 3 times. You can easily sell a used PS3/360 game as there is no DRM.

Regarding drivers, I actually enjoy driver hunting. I get all excited when a new driver is release and want to see just how much better it is with my fav titles. It's no where near a hassle as it was 2 - 3 years ago.

I play my friend's console and have more fun than me playing on my pc with superior graphics. Playing with friends when they are next to you is the fun part. Sure, games like Crysis still look amazing but meh. I enjoy my pc.

Nov 15, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #187 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickosha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I have the same rig, except with 4GB of RAM and some overclocking. FWIR, MW2 isn't extremely more resource hungry than MW1, so you should be getting much better performance than you are. Perhaps it's time to update your drivers?

It might be, I'm just wary when it comes to updating ati drivers. Most of the recently games I've played worked fairly well, so I didn't feel the need to take a risk.

Anyways I finished the game, and the slowdown wasn't detrimental to overall experience. It may have been more a of a "loading" issue, cause when I'd transition from certain areas to others, I'd notice a few seconds of stutter.

Nov 15, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #188 of 218
Just got MW2 today. Only played the first mission. Impressions so far:

I HATE the lack of lean. There were many times when I wished I could lean round corners and found myself tapping the E button, only to end up slashing at the air.

The audio samples seem to be pretty bad quality on my system, especially the voice. Also the centre channel isn't being used for some reason. Could be something to do with my PC though.

The FOV seems to be set to around 60 at default since they haven't bothered changing it for the PC port. This makes everything seem claustrophobic as I'd normally have it at around 85.

Which brings me to the lack of console. Luckily there is a mod which brings it back and allows the FOV to be changed to something more respectable. Sadly, this has to be done every time the game is played which is quite annoying. If the console is there, why did IW decide not to allow the user to enable it? Surely it wouldn't have been hard to do so...

On the bright side, the blood splatter is marginally nicer in this and I find myself fearing getting hit because of it. Not sure exactly why. I also like the sense of urgency. The trademark over-the-top Hollywood movie style is still there and I love it.

Nov 15, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #189 of 218
For preface, I put about 200-250 hrs of play time into MW1, and that was before I reformatted my computer and did the 1->55 thing again, and I plan on doing it again with MW2. I am peeved about the dedicated server, console, etc but I love PC gaming because usually there are people much smarter than me that figure out how to get around all the junk.

I am not sure what most people complain about with 2 year life-cycles for PC's. I built a PC in 2003, and it lasted until 2008. Ok I couldn't jack the graphics all the way up like I could in '03, but the games were playable, and all it took was a graphics card upgrade for ~150 to get another 1-1.5 years out of it. I built a new rig almost 2 years ago and I can still play every game that comes out at full settings, and I didn't even buy a top-end card at the time. You have to be a little more careful with parts selection but getting a PC that lasts a long time is easily done, especially now that the graphics cards being put out are monstrous and destroy every modern game.

Nov 15, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #190 of 218
Nov 16, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #191 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by devin_mm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dedicated servers cracked:
Modern Warfare 2 Servers Cracked Within Days After Release

Not responsible for anything that happens if you try this blah blah blah....

That isn't quite accurate.

It only allows users to host/join spec-ops co-op 2-player games.

Nov 16, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #192 of 218
Not me. Oddly this year has me gamed out. Only thing I've played has been Guild Wars and for less than 30 hours total. Don't know why I've felt this way. Maybe too many are starting to play alike. I'm waiting on Diablo 3. Maybe that will kick it back in for me.

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #193 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the airport level it's the engine choking, too many on screen npcs. I even got some slowdown while mowing down civilians on my 3.2ghz q6600 4gb ddr2 1066 gtx295 system

Are you running 4 x 1gb or 2 x 2gb RAM?

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #194 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not me. Oddly this year has me gamed out. Only thing I've played has been Guild Wars and for less than 30 hours total. Don't know why I've felt this way. Maybe too many are starting to play alike. I'm waiting on Diablo 3. Maybe that will kick it back in for me.

While you wait, pick up Torchlight.
gs1000.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #195 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I feel your pain. Nothing has held my interest ('cept L4D) very long, Fallout3, Mass Effect, etc.. all unfinished. Even worse, I just upgraded my computer and can't find a cherry poppin' title to break in the new vid card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back