Who here is a high school audiophile?
Nov 30, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #511 of 1,284
Was gonna get into headphones, had a whole plan set up back in April after stalking the forums for a year...But i realized full sized home-listening headphones weren't too practical for my music needs. Needless to say, I've spent too much on speakers since
rolleyes.gif

Grade:

Gear:
Martin Logan Motion 4s
PSB B25s
Energy ESW-C10 sub
Harman/Kardon HK3390
Mav. Audio DAC

JH5pros next week(ish)! Excited to get back into the portable world 
smile.gif

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #514 of 1,284
The problem with people younger than ~21 is your ears haven't fully developed. Even people in excess of ~21 can still have their ears change due to things like substantial gain or loss of weight, (etc).
I personally would love to buy some JH13s but have put it off until I'm older (17 at the moment). Hence why I'm surprised to see someone at the age of 14 going for them.

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #515 of 1,284
So I woke up WAY too early to find my dad at my door before going to work. He let me get up and open my Grado's. Right when I opened the box I was pumped! They look beautiful (I like the retro stye) and I couldn't wait to use them. First impression was a teensy bit a of a let down. I just came from the fairly bass heavy porta pros. BUT, after about 10 minutes, they sounded great! I don't know if it was because I was tired, but now the bass is sounding loads better. The mids and highs sounded fantastic in the first place however.

Bass aside, there is one word for these cans....guitars! All the metal I listen to, feel like brand spankin' new material to me. Separation is fantastic and I can now hear highs like never before. I am still waiting for the bass to kick up a tiny bit, but right now I am very happy with these. Thanks Grado for making great phones!

(Edit: The bass is perfect now. These cans are magical 
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #516 of 1,284
Congrats on the JH5s. I'm going to get either JH5s or JH13s sometime in the next few weeks as well, and I'm 18. I'll certainly be able to report on any fit issues.

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #517 of 1,284

Quote:
The problem with people younger than ~21 is your ears haven't fully developed. Even people in excess of ~21 can still have their ears change due to things like substantial gain or loss of weight, (etc).
I personally would love to buy some JH13s but have put it off until I'm older (17 at the moment). Hence why I'm surprised to see someone at the age of 14 going for them.

A remold for a full grown ear is about 5 years. It's about 3 for growing young adults and individuals who has gone through their grown spurt. So it's fine to go for customs if you sound like and women or a man, rather than  a girl or boy.

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #518 of 1,284

Quote:
So I woke up WAY too early to find my dad at my door before going to work. He let me get up and open my Grado's. Right when I opened the box I was pumped! They look beautiful (I like the retro stye) and I couldn't wait to use them. First impression was a teensy bit a of a let down. I just came from the fairly bass heavy porta pros. BUT, after about 10 minutes, they sounded great! I don't know if it was because I was tired, but now the bass is sounding loads better. The mids and highs sounded fantastic in the first place however.

Bass aside, there is one word for these cans....guitars! All the metal I listen to, feel like brand spankin' new material to me. Separation is fantastic and I can now hear highs like never before. I am still waiting for the bass to kick up a tiny bit, but right now I am very happy with these. Thanks Grado for making great phones!

(Edit: The bass is perfect now. These cans are magical 
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Some people call that burn-in
I'd say you just experienced your ears getting used to headphones for the first time. grats!

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #519 of 1,284

Quote:
Some people call that burn-in

I'd say you just experienced your ears getting used to headphones for the first time. grats!

I can't say whether it really was burn in or me getting used to it, but man am I glad it happened 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #521 of 1,284
I guess I'll take this opportunity to say hello! This may be my first post on these forums but I've been creeping around for almost a year now. Im 16, a junior in high school, quite poor, and am a noob when it comes to audio-related things (hopefully spending time around this fine forum will change that). As of now I own an iPod Touch 2g with a FiiO e5 amp (lol), AKG K518 LEs, AKG K81 Djs, ViSang R02s, and Sennheiser CX300s. I listen to mainly electronic (Favorite song right now: Dinka - Elements 5un5hine Rmx) but get a craving for RnB and rock every once in a while.

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #522 of 1,284
16, Sophmore year, Im starting a conspiracy at my school. For good headphones! :)

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #523 of 1,284

Quote:
I guess I'll take this opportunity to say hello! This may be my first post on these forums but I've been creeping around for almost a year now. Im 16, a junior in high school, quite poor, and am a noob when it comes to audio-related things (hopefully spending time around this fine forum will change that). As of now I own an iPod Touch 2g with a FiiO e5 amp (lol), AKG K518 LEs, AKG K81 Djs, ViSang R02s, and Sennheiser CX300s. I listen to mainly electronic (Favorite song right now: Dinka - Elements 5un5hine Rmx) but get a craving for RnB and rock every once in a while.

Welcome, sorry about your wallet.

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #524 of 1,284
Actually Bob I have seen that thread. I did something similar to my PortaPros, which tamed the bass and let more highs through for sure, but I am too afraid of messing up my new babies. How do you feel about putting bowl pads on some 80is?

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #525 of 1,284

Quote:
Actually Bob I have seen that thread. I did something similar to my PortaPros, which tamed the bass and let more highs through for sure, but I am too afraid of messing up my new babies. How do you feel about putting bowl pads on some 80is?

Use bowls unless you wear glasses
But if you are going to buy pads I'd say buy HD414 pads
The mods are pretty safe if you remember to use a ballpoint pen to poke holes, not something thinner or sharp
my 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back