Who here is a high school audiophile?
Nov 20, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #481 of 1,284
Lol, avoid cheap soldering irons. I just got my Hakko 936 soldering station and soldering has become literally 10 times easier than it used to be.  I recommend saving up for one that is actually good, and save yourself the trouble. Kinda like headphones. 

Also, buy nice solder and flux. 20 feet of Cardas Quad eutectic solder is 5 dollars on ebay, and I bought my soldering station for like $50.

Also, the 936 is built to last. You won't have to buy another one if you treat it right.

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #483 of 1,284
My friend had that exact one. The soldering iron itself was good, but having a stand connected to the station isn't a good thing. He had to buy his own stand, which added a lot to the price. I still say you should save up for a nicer one, IMO. Although that does look to be the best soldering iron for that price, if you own a stand already. 

I just want to say that the 936 is a great deal at $50, and I would gladly pay $100 for it.

Nov 24, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #485 of 1,284

Quote:
tablet pc? You should definitely go for the iPad right now. I was all for the android tablets that aree coming out now (mainly the Archos 101) but if i really step back; I love android 2.1 on my captivate but IMO... It really is made for phones and they have a little ways to go to get it right for tablets. With ios4 coming out for the iPad soon it can only get better.

If the iPad's price was more reasonable, I'd probably go for that, because honestly, the only reason for getting a tablet in my opinion is for fun stuff and browsing, and there are waaaaay more apps for Apple's creation than Android. And if they could actually support a stylus to write stuff with would be extra nice too.

And I was thinking about Android 3.0, not the current 2.2.
Quote:
The 936 is a brilliant piece of kit.

x2

Nov 24, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #486 of 1,284

Quote:
My friend had that exact one. The soldering iron itself was good, but having a stand connected to the station isn't a good thing. He had to buy his own stand, which added a lot to the price. I still say you should save up for a nicer one, IMO. Although that does look to be the best soldering iron for that price, if you own a stand already. 

I just want to say that the 936 is a great deal at $50, and I would gladly pay $100 for it.

I ordered it. Should arrive 30th-3rd. I will finish the Cmoy then. I also got Helping Hands, desoldering wick, and extra tips. All from Parts Express. 

Nov 24, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #487 of 1,284
I thought I was back in the late 60's with a Eico tube amp,Garrard TT,and a pair of Dynaco A-25 speakers.But then again my perception may have been affected by the drugs.
eek.gif

Nov 24, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #489 of 1,284

If the iPad's price was more reasonable, I'd probably go for that, because honestly, the only reason for getting a tablet in my opinion is for fun stuff and browsing, and there are waaaaay more apps for Apple's creation than Android. And if they could actually support a stylus to write stuff with would be extra nice too.

And I was thinking about Android 3.0, not the current 2.2.

x2

Yea, I wasnt referring to 2.1/2.2 for tablets... But if youre willing to wait then I'd say yea, wait for 3.0 for the upcoming tablets next year. I was willing to get an android tablet but I needed something somewhat big to type notes on and stuff.

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #492 of 1,284

Quote:
When we go to university, and residence, how is it going to work with headphones? I feel like someone is going to steal my stuff. If they see it.

That's why you keep it tucked away out of sight and if possible, on your person. Also, I would avoid bragging about how expensive your stuff is, the average guy is just going to want the iPod.

Nov 28, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #493 of 1,284
Spray paint them Hello Kitty pink or Q701 green.
biggrin.gif

Well what stuff do you have? Odds are that most people won't know what they are and won't steal them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back