Who here is a high school audiophile?
Nov 18, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #469 of 1,284
I literally have no room to put any thing. I have a good sized desk but its very cluttered. My DAC is atop my computer my headphone either go on a stuffed animal or also atop the computer. I have about six inches of mouse moving space too.

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #470 of 1,284

Quote:
I literally have no room to put any thing. I have a good sized desk but its very cluttered. My DAC is atop my computer my headphone either go on a stuffed animal or also atop the computer. I have about six inches of mouse moving space too.

Try sticking it all in a college dorm room. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #471 of 1,284

Quote:
Quote:

Try sticking it all in a college dorm room. 

My college dorm desk is surprisingly large. Much larger than I'll have in my apartment next year. Plus I'll have more gear then. My headphone gear shall be getting its own shelf.

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #472 of 1,284

Quote:
My college dorm desk is surprisingly large. Much larger than I'll have in my apartment next year. Plus I'll have more gear then. My headphone gear shall be getting its own shelf.

Must... not... throw... something... at.. you.

I want to get my headphones their own rooms. Sadly it has to be connected to the computer. For now anyways. 

Nov 19, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #473 of 1,284
Ha I just told me Dad I'm going to spend $700 on a new turntable. Should have seen his jaw drop. I've since warmed him to the idea but he still thinks I'm nuts.
Similar thing when I bought my SM3s. I let him have a listen and he absolutely loved them, he asked how much and I said ~$400. He just shook his head with a smile.
The best was when I told mum I was going to buy a new HiFiMan HM-602 for like $400. It was literally the 5th player I'd bought in so many months. I tell them it's a great buy, they just way "your money..." with a "it's over my head" look on their face.

I don't have much money and earn cash by helping out at a local farm once a week. The pay is rubbish but when you earn enough to buy that next piece of gear you've been saving for, man it's great. I'm currently 17 and just finished high school. I'd estimate to date that I've spent over two grand on my gear.

Nov 19, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #474 of 1,284

Quote:
I'm currently 17 and just finished high school. I'd estimate to date that I've spent over two grand on my gear.

HOLY crap!!! TWO THOUSAND ON AUDIO...IN HIGH SCHOOL!!!

I thought I was extreme for spending 600 dollars on audio. but then again you have a job, and I don't. Did you have to pay for your car?

I'm 17 in like 3 weeks btw. I'll be asking for parts for a DAC. DIY is so addicting (and not cheap.)

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #475 of 1,284
I don't own a car, don't need one. My parents have a car that I can use anytime I want. But yeah, audio is basically my only hobby. The only other thing I spend money on is my bodyboarding gear, but I already own everything I need and it takes awhile for it to wear out.

Music is a big part of my life. Throughout school I was literally listening to music for 4-5 hours a day. Now I'm home a lot more, even more so. I'm quite content with my current gear. Once I get a new cartridge for my turntable and some new speakers I should be content for many years. I figure, while I'm young and have a disposable income spend money on things I enjoy and audio is even easier to justify because if you buy quality stuff it should last you into the future. Now I'm close to having a decent set up, I can focus more on building my cd and record collection
wink.gif

EDIT: Oh and that 2 grand figure is probably closer to 1.8. But it's the total of what I've spent on my current gear (excluding my laptop). If you added up the total amount I've spent on gear in the past year - that would be a scary figure.

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #476 of 1,284
Grade: Senior
Portable gear:Ipod touch 8 gig(trying to sell)
Cans: Sennheiser HD448, Grado SR 80i
Home set up: Computer, Sound card:audigy2, Little Dot MK II+ tube amp.
soon to have: Ultrasone HiFi 780/2400, BeyerDynamic DT770pro(250ohm)

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #477 of 1,284

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Equipment:
Headphones: HD 800, Denon AHD 2000, Kossportapro
IEM: Sennheiser IE8, Shure se210
Amp: Ymb M^3, Ibasso p3+
Dac: Carat ruby MKII
source: Macbook pro 13, An old marantz CD player.

Lol what? How can you guys afford this stuff? I'm 15 as well but all i have is an ipod touch, a ps3, an m50, and an ie6. Do you guys with expensive stuff around this age pay for your own things? Maybe thats a reason why I have like nothing.

Of course I do. I've been saving for like 1 year. I study in a private school so I have a high allowance and started to save up about a hundred bucks per month. And as for my laptop, my school requires me to bring a laptop to school so my parent bought 1 for me. Whats more is that the other kids at my school has an even more expensive laptop like the MBP 15 or a fully customized Alienware mx17 which cost like 2500$+.

...I go to a private school and I don't get no allowance and haven't in 7 years. And we're not allowed to use anything with an LCD screen at my school. And my parents made me volunteer for a hospital instead of getting a job to get money for new stuffs.

Going back to a topic a few pages ago, my parents are actually both lenient and against this. They like that I make/mod my headphones instead of spending megabucks on new headphones but they find it unnecessary. But my dad's all for me saving up for a tablet to use as a new source (which will probably turn into saving up for an integrated amp and CDP since I can't think of too many reasons to buy a tablet over audio stuff since it'd get more use), which will involve a new dac/amp...
confused_face%281%29.gif

Nov 20, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #478 of 1,284

...I go to a private school and I don't get no allowance and haven't in 7 years. And we're not allowed to use anything with an LCD screen at my school. And my parents made me volunteer for a hospital instead of getting a job to get money for new stuffs.

Going back to a topic a few pages ago, my parents are actually both lenient and against this. They like that I make/mod my headphones instead of spending megabucks on new headphones but they find it unnecessary. But my dad's all for me saving up for a tablet to use as a new source (which will probably turn into saving up for an integrated amp and CDP since I can't think of too many reasons to buy a tablet over audio stuff since it'd get more use), which will involve a new dac/amp...
confused_face%281%29.gif

tablet pc? You should definitely go for the iPad right now. I was all for the android tablets that aree coming out now (mainly the Archos 101) but if i really step back; I love android 2.1 on my captivate but IMO... It really is made for phones and they have a little ways to go to get it right for tablets.

With ios4 coming out for the iPad soon it can only get better.

Nov 20, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #479 of 1,284

Quote:
I don't own a car, don't need one. My parents have a car that I can use anytime I want. But yeah, audio is basically my only hobby. The only other thing I spend money on is my bodyboarding gear, but I already own everything I need and it takes awhile for it to wear out.

Music is a big part of my life. Throughout school I was literally listening to music for 4-5 hours a day. Now I'm home a lot more, even more so. I'm quite content with my current gear. I figure, while I'm young and have a disposable income spend money on things I enjoy and audio is even easier to justify because if you buy quality stuff it should last you into the future. Now I'm close to having a decent set up, I can focus more on building my cd and record collection
wink.gif

That is pretty much my justification as well. I figure once I'm in college (hopefully, I am really regretting not working hard up till now. crap sucks, but I don't have anyone to blame but myself.) I won't be able to afford new gear, so I am spending my money until then on things to last all the way through college, like my computer and other things. If I can't get into college, then I am preparing for menial labor

Hopefully my 12 tech credits will count for something in college. I kind of doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back