Who here is a high school audiophile?
Nov 14, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #437 of 1,284
Nov 14, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #438 of 1,284
My parents payed for half of my amp, since it's DIY. But my headphones and my computer ($850, built it myself) as well as all my games (sold them all recently to fund audio) were paid for by me.

I'm sitting on a hefty stack of bills currently, so I need to decide what to buy now. I'll probably build another amp.

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #439 of 1,284

Quote:
My parents payed for half of my amp, since it's DIY. But my headphones and my computer ($850, built it myself) as well as all my games (sold them all recently to fund audio) were paid for by me.

I'm sitting on a hefty stack of bills currently, so I need to decide what to buy now. I'll probably build another amp.

Eh I wish I had a stack of bills. Selling PS2 with 50 games for $50. :frowning2: 

Again, it's less of can I afford than can I buy it without my parents freaking out at me. DIY is such a risky business for newcomers. 

Nov 15, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #440 of 1,284

Quote:

Quote:

Eh I wish I had a stack of bills. Selling PS2 with 50 games for $50. :frowning2: 

Again, it's less of can I afford than can I buy it without my parents freaking out at me. DIY is such a risky business for newcomers. 

Yeah, its not that I cant really afford it, its that my parents would kill me if I spent any more of the money i have been saving so I resort to selling my stuff and using that money to buy more headphones. I'm not sure if $400 is considered hefty but for me $300 is like $0 so right now i just think to myself that all i have is $100, its a great way to prevent me from spending any more.
Ps2+50 games for $50? thats an amazing deal, Why such a low price? i might consider buying that since my stupid fat ps3 broke so now all I have is the slim one but It wont play ps2 games.

Nov 15, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #441 of 1,284

Quote:

HD800

You best be trollin'.

I think I said this several million pages back, but I really never thought there were that many of us here when I made this thread... Amazing.

Nov 15, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #442 of 1,284

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, its not that I cant really afford it, its that my parents would kill me if I spent any more of the money i have been saving so I resort to selling my stuff and using that money to buy more headphones. I'm not sure if $400 is considered hefty but for me $300 is like $0 so right now i just think to myself that all i have is $100, its a great way to prevent me from spending any more.
Ps2+50 games for $50? thats an amazing deal, Why such a low price? i might consider buying that since my stupid fat ps3 broke so now all I have is the slim one but It wont play ps2 games.

I can relate. My parents understand how much audio and diy mean to me, and give me free reign over how I spend my funds. As long as I don't buy drugs, they are happy. I have my own bank account and as long as it doesn't go below $100 for emergencies, I'll be fine. Also, my parents fall under the "NOT STRICT AT ALL" category, but that is a blessing and a curse. As far a DIY goes, just tell them you are interested in building something, like a cmoy (start cheap, trust me), and after you have some skills ask them to buy you a new soldering iron in exchange for some chores or something. Worked for me, I even convinced my Dad to pay for half of my Minimax, as I've said before.

I can afford all my stuff because I don't really spend money on anything else. I don't have any game systems or significant money pits besides audio. 

Nov 15, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #443 of 1,284

Grade: 10th 

Sennheiser 555, Klipsch Image S4 (Broken), Little cheap IEMs

Motorola Droid 16gb, iPod Touch 8gb 2nd gen (selling), Sony E-series Walkman, and awaiting the S:Flo2!

I got all of this for stacking tires for a guy I knew over the summer.

Nov 15, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #444 of 1,284

Quote:
Yeah, its not that I cant really afford it, its that my parents would kill me if I spent any more of the money i have been saving so I resort to selling my stuff and using that money to buy more headphones. I'm not sure if $400 is considered hefty but for me $300 is like $0 so right now i just think to myself that all i have is $100, its a great way to prevent me from spending any more. Ps2+50 games for $50? thats an amazing deal, Why such a low price? i might consider buying that since my stupid fat ps3 broke so now all I have is the slim one but It wont play ps2 games.

Bootleg games. LOLOL.

In all seriousness, I don't know why I don't just spend it. Sure they'll beat me, but I'll have a nice pair of headphones to hide behind after. ^^
I haven't even spent any of the money I actually made myself. It's all random birthday money, New Years money, etc.

Nov 15, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #446 of 1,284

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah, its not that I cant really afford it, its that my parents would kill me if I spent any more of the money i have been saving so I resort to selling my stuff and using that money to buy more headphones. I'm not sure if $400 is considered hefty but for me $300 is like $0 so right now i just think to myself that all i have is $100, its a great way to prevent me from spending any more. Ps2+50 games for $50? thats an amazing deal, Why such a low price? i might consider buying that since my stupid fat ps3 broke so now all I have is the slim one but It wont play ps2 games.

Bootleg games. LOLOL.

In all seriousness, I don't know why I don't just spend it. Sure they'll beat me, but I'll have a nice pair of headphones to hide behind after. ^^
I haven't even spent any of the money I actually made myself. It's all random birthday money, New Years money, etc.

lol nice, but what you could do is, say that there was a super sale and the headphones were half off so they wont be as mad. lol, bad idea but it works for some people.

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #448 of 1,284

Quote:
Quote:
Equipment:
Headphones: HD 800, Denon AHD 2000, Kossportapro
IEM: Sennheiser IE8, Shure se210
Amp: Ymb M^3, Ibasso p3+
Dac: Carat ruby MKII
source: Macbook pro 13, An old marantz CD player.

Lol what? How can you guys afford this stuff? I'm 15 as well but all i have is an ipod touch, a ps3, an m50, and an ie6. Do you guys with expensive stuff around this age pay for your own things? Maybe thats a reason why I have like nothing.

Of course I do. I've been saving for like 1 year. I study in a private school so I have a high allowance and started to save up about a hundred bucks per month. And as for my laptop, my school requires me to bring a laptop to school so my parent bought 1 for me. Whats more is that the other kids at my school has an even more expensive laptop like the MBP 15 or a fully customized Alienware mx17 which cost like 2500$+.

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #449 of 1,284
Nov 16, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #450 of 1,284

Quote:
Quote:
You best be trollin'.  
I think I said this several million pages back, but I really never thought there were that many of us here when I made this thread... Amazing.

Im not trollin around. See for yourself.

You put us all to shame. It's easier to argue buying a $2500~ laptop versus buying $2500 in headphone equipment. I envy you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back