Who Here Hates Emo!?!?!
Apr 14, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #46 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
Can we come to a consensus on a definitive emo band that defined, shaped and was the godfather of emo, like nirvana was to grunge, Miles to Jazz
wink.gif
. I'd love to check this emo stuff out.

Weezer. Blue album...it was just re-released and remastered w/ a full CD of b-sides included...you should really get it. That album defined the roots of EMO.

Amazon has it for a really good price

Apr 14, 2004 at 4:03 PM Post #48 of 70
Well, although these guys weren't the first to do it, they've probably became the best at it...here's my top picks in the EMO catagory:

Taking Back Sunday - "Tell All Your Friends"

Brand New - "Deja Entendu"

Thursday - "War All The Time"

Saves The Day - "Stay What You Are" (their newest album went pop, yuck!, but this album rocks)

A.F.I. - "Sing The Sorrow" (best album purchase I've made in recent memory)

At least, hit up iTunes & sample the stuff, at best, buy them all, if you dig EMO, these albums are heavenly. TBS & Thursday took me awhile to like, but they grew on me and are now 2 of my favorite bands.

Apr 14, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #49 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
ehh.. weezer?? i got weezer.

any else more typical of emo?

My Essential Emo Albums:

Rites of Spring - END ON END
Jawbreaker - 24 HOUR REVENGE THERAPY
Sunny Day Real Estate - DIARY
Texas is the Reason - DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE?
Jets to Brazil - ORANGE RHYMING DICTIONARY
Braid - FRAME AND CANVAS
Jimmy Eat World - CLARITY

Those should keep you busy.

Apr 14, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #50 of 70
masonjar got the closest

rites of spring is generally considered as the very first true emo band within the hardcore scene. i really don't see how weezer can be said to be emo. pinkerton kinda comes close with the heavily distorted wall of guitars but other than that they are just a pop rock band. nothing else. they are definitely not the definitive emo band people are saying they are.

i would check out rites of spring to sample the roots of emo...then check out both sunny day real estate (particularly first two albums if looking for the forebearers of emo) and mineral (both albums) these two groups took the dc hardcore emo sound and revised it and that has now been bastardized by all the bands now. im not sayin those bands such as the ones southpaw listed are bad...i like a few of them. its just to say they are emo is pretty much wrong and to say that they are typical emo is wrong. emo used to mean a particular sound but now has become a type of pop rock and a catchphrase. certainly these bands have been influenced but would you call blink 182 punk? or pop punk? thats why i like to call it pop emo. not emo though.

so anyways

rites of spring (early emo)
sunny day real estate and
mineral (second wave of emo in mid nineties)
all other recent bands vary so much in sound that its hard to say if they are emo or not but some are really really good

Apr 14, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #51 of 70
Why do people feel the need to be such haters?
It's a lifestyle choice you don't need to listen to or agree with..... your just making things worse.

Apr 15, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #56 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by electic
AFI?!?!?!?
EMO!?!?!?
NO!
HELL NO!

everytime I hear them on the Radio I think, man they are so jumping on the emo bandwagon.. they totally sound like Jimmy Eat World crossed with At the Drive In. They might not have been emo at one point, but from what I've heard, they're really leaning that way now.

-jar

Apr 16, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #57 of 70
Quote:

AFI?!?!?!?
EMO!?!?!?
NO!
HELL NO!

Sue me. So they aren't 100% hardcore l337 EMO, but that CD is amazing & shouldn't be missed by any EMO/rock fan.

Apr 16, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #59 of 70
"Black Sails..." is my favorite of AFI's too but...EMO??? What you be smoking?

See, that's the problem with emo. "Emotional music" is such a vague way to define a genre, no one knows what the hell is emo and what isn't.

Apr 16, 2004 at 3:11 PM Post #60 of 70
Quote:

I love AFI so dont get me wrong...but I hate emo,which they are not, they are EAST BAY HARDCORE

all I know is.. I was listening to the radio the other day, heard this song, and I thought to myself... hmmm what EMO band is this? I waited around until the DJ said "AFI."

that's my story and I'm sticking to it
biggrin.gif

-jar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back