Who Here Hates Emo!?!?!
Apr 11, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #31 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by Trounce
Don't fear, though; I did the same when I got over emo. It'll pass, and you'll realize that you miss some of your favourite songs, and occasionally, as I do, revisit them, for a chuckle or a cry, depending on your mood.

Edit: Spelling.

It's so funny how so many who are turning 20 talk about "getting over" emo.. kind how I talk about how I "got over" hair metal back in the 80's..

How many here got INTO Emo at the age of 32?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and I still spin my Quiet Riot and Ratt albums on occasion too
wink.gif
Right after ORANGE RHYMING DICTIONARY. (in my opinion one of the best albums of the 90's..)

-jar

Apr 12, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #33 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by electic
Umm.....what the Kurt cobain have to do with this?

many people made the complaint that these Emo kids have nothing to be sad or pissed about seeing as how they have record deals, fame, etc..

I was just making the point that the same could be said for other musicians... Kurt Cobain being one of them.

-jar

Apr 12, 2004 at 12:07 AM Post #34 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by terrymx

btw, for those want to know, you should check out katatonia.com and listen to some of their samples and read the lyrics, it will give you a very good idea of what emo is. i do enjoy some of their older work though, brave murder day is a very good album.

hmmm..

I can just see the tour now..

Jimmy Eat World, Get up Kids and Katatonia..

should go over like a lead balloon.

not bashing Katatonia mind you.. I love their music. They definately have their own thing going on.

Probably wouldn't call it emo though.

-jar

Apr 12, 2004 at 1:34 AM Post #36 of 70
SDRE invent emo??? Maybe pop emo. Il love sunny day real estate...after mineral and pedro the lion probably my fave band of all time but they surely didnt invent emo. They were about ten years late for that. If you really want all the nit picky truths about emo then visit www.fourfa.com That guy pretty much goes into all the history of it. Its pretty lame and interesting at the same time. Its funny but it all comes down to semantics eventually. Labels suck lol

Apr 12, 2004 at 11:30 AM Post #37 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by silentperfection
SDRE invent emo??? Maybe pop emo. Il love sunny day real estate...after mineral and pedro the lion probably my fave band of all time but they surely didnt invent emo. They were about ten years late for that. If you really want all the nit picky truths about emo then visit www.fourfa.com That guy pretty much goes into all the history of it. Its pretty lame and interesting at the same time. Its funny but it all comes down to semantics eventually. Labels suck lol

I've been a Husker Du fan since 1985 or so.. I always connected with them because they sung about feelings and relationship stuff instead of politics or partying. I liked that. I was never as much into the DC scene.. only started listening to Rites of Spring a few years ago (how did I miss them?!?!)..

SDRE didn't invent the style, but to me, they laid the template for a thousand bands that followed them in the 90's. They might not have invented, but they updated, and certainly moved the genre forward. I think Weezer being involved in all of this is purely accidental
wink.gif

-jar

Apr 12, 2004 at 4:31 PM Post #38 of 70
EMO is awesome man...if you ever see Taking Back Sunday live you'll fully understand how complicated that music is to perform; it's no easy power-chord smashing music, it's really intricate at it's core.

Give a listen to Taking Back Sunday, Thursday, Brand New and Saves The Day, they all rock.

Apr 12, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #39 of 70
how can people bash personal preferance? trounce said this best so ill just add my thoughts.

sure i listen to emo, and its not because i like the cry myslef to sleep and slit my wrists. is the music is good, ill listen, simple as that.

Apr 12, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #40 of 70
Quote:

EMO is awesome man...if you ever see Taking Back Sunday live you'll fully understand how complicated that music is to perform; it's no easy power-chord smashing music, it's really intricate at it's core.

Intricate? Really? Classical music is intricate. Jazz is intricate. Metal is intricate. But emo? IMO, no.

Apr 12, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #41 of 70
I think he's talking about the shred aspect of those bands, it's basically shred over lots and lots of noise (rock?).

Weezer, Modest Mouse, and SDRE all popularized emo and set it off in a different direction, thus starting the different branches of emo we see today. And early weezer is SO emo, how could you deny that?

Apr 13, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #42 of 70
I can see where you are coming from electic. Most mainstream music blows, but emo is especially annoying due mostly to the whining vocals, and annoying fans. But that makes sense. Think about the most annoying person you know. Now, think about them whining about something. Its a given.

There are, however, alot of good "emo" bands. Someone told me that fugazi and at the drive in were emo, so I made an attempt to check the genre out. There are alot of bands out there that have all the intricacies of metal, they just supplant high pitch whining/screaming for growling/screaming, and use sappy melodies instead of hyper-polka drum beats.(hey, everyone else is generalizing, why can't I)

I was told once that I like "screamo", so maybe I am off point calling it emo, but Glassjaw, Sparta, Coheed and Cambria, Thursday, and are all good bands.

I may be a little biased in this though. Being a musician myself, I tend to pay very little attention to the singer in a band, I see them more as another instrument. Plus, limp bizkit and my ex girlfriend have already made me a pro at tuning out vocals when listening to music.

Apr 13, 2004 at 8:20 PM Post #43 of 70
do you base what type of music you listen to on a certain bands fan base? i didnt think so...

Apr 13, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #44 of 70
No, but I base how annoying certain music(bands, sub genre's, whatever) is based on its fan base.

Example.
I like Radiohead's music alot. I never bring it up around people because most fans are zealots, and it annoys me. That is with a band I actually like.

Apr 14, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #45 of 70
Can we come to a consensus on a definitive emo band that defined, shaped and was the godfather of emo, like nirvana was to grunge, Miles to Jazz
wink.gif
. I'd love to check this emo stuff out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back