Who Here Hates Emo!?!?!
Apr 10, 2004 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

electic

100+ Head-Fier
I do because...

1. They whine about how life is **** when their lives can't be that bad seeing as how they have record contracts, groupies, fame, etc.
2. They pretend to constantly be depressed
3. The hair over one eye just pisses me off for some reason
4. Compared to bands from the past and present that also deal with not fitting in, such as Nirvana, they have absolutely no musical talent.
5. Grown men crying in a mosh pit, in a hardcore/emo concert, is just the saddest most ironic thing one can see.

Apr 10, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 70
Oh lord, another overgeneralization of a genre thread. Let me continue on the theme.

I hate rap: It's nothing more than black guys who rap about molesting women and dealing drugs.

I hate techno: It's souless music for people who are unable to perform any legitmate genre.

I hate jazz: It's nothing but large scale instrumental masturbation.

I hate country: It's just drunken hicks banging on their instruments.

I hate pop: It's overproduced crap made by artists with no legitmate talent.

Do i really need to continue? Your blanket statements are ingorant and while they may apply to a few people, you're condemning an entire genre that you're clearly not very famliar with in an attempt to earn favor with head-fi'ers equally as foolish.

Apr 10, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 70
i hate music. period.

i wear headphones to muffle noise.

team sonic isolation.

Apr 10, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #7 of 70
What do you mean? Give a list of "Emo" artists who fall outside the mold of bitching about life with long hair and crying at concerts? with pleasure:

Promise ring (All but wood-water)
Mineral
Weezer (Pinkerton and the blue album)
Rites of spring
Sunny day real estate
The getup kids (First two albums)
Pedro the lion

Mind providing a list of the artists you listened to while making your opinion?

Edit: You post is unclear, so i'm guessing it's either what i had above, or what i think of emo as a whole.

There's bad emo, i'll be the first to admit that. If you're basing your entire opinion of the genre on dashboard confessional, of course you're going to hate it, but there's so much outside of that cookie cutter crap, that you need to see before bashing the genre as a whole.

Really, there are no "bad" genres, just bad artists

Apr 10, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 70
I dislike whiny sounding vocals in general whether in "emo", some of the pop-punk stuff currently out there like Simple Plan (they don't count as emo, right?), a some country music, a fair amount of "comtemporary" R&B. Otherwise I could give a rat's rear about "emo," I just hate listening to some loser whine, regardless of what the backing music sounds like.

Apr 10, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 70
Here is a list of "artists" that I put into the genre of emo... Dashboard Confessional, Something Corporate, Story Of The Year, The Bled, The Used, Yellowcard, Static Lullaby, Taking Back Sunday, and The Getup Kids.

I totally disagree with some of the artists that ebonyks has provided for his list of artists that fall outside the mold of "emo", such as Weezer. Weezer is more rock mixed with a some pop, and they are influenced by bands such as KISS and Black Sabbath.

Apr 10, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #11 of 70
You need to check on your musical termonlogy, weezer is as emo as they come. Hell, they were one of the first bands to wear the label of emo. After all, emo is just short for emotional hardcore (Or atleast it was at one point)

AMG has a pretty set of musical genre explinations, and while they're slightly odd sometimes (They consiter at the drive in emo for some reason), it tends to be fairly accurate for a referance.

And the emo bands you mentioned are mainstream emo, that's where the crap is
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 70
This is what I am talkign about...

Ebonyks,

Well, I can see that we will get no where arguing about Weezer, but my point is just that the "emo" I speak of, Dashboard and the others like them, are full of crap. They are hypocrites and they piss me off
mad.gif

But I would really like to hear your take on bands such as Thrice, Avenged Sevenfold, and Thursday. Every magazine that I read puts them into the genre of metal, but I think that the members of real metal bands, such as Mayhem or Immortal, would have something to say about that. IMO I think that these bands are scremo/emocore and are just as bad as any other "emo" band out there.

Apr 11, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #15 of 70
stuartr: I'll keep the response clean.

To me, i don't define any spefic genre as a "good" or "bad" genre. And while i'm personally not famliar with bands like thursday, i'm willing to bet i would classify them as metal, even if they are bad metal. Metallica, for instance, would be classified as all metal in my mind, despite having a huge difference in quality in their releases

Users who are viewing this thread

Back