Who here cuts their own hair?
Apr 20, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #31 of 54
Been cutting my own hair for about 15 years. I've really got it down. I dont even have a regular buzz-job or anything, it starts off at about 1/8" at the bottom and blends into about an inch and a half on top. People can't believe it when I tell them I did it myself. I've even got the shaped neck hair shaving down to a science. My clippers paid for themselves way back when.

Apr 20, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #32 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dam mate, where do you get a barber for 5 quid? im paying in the ranks of 15 for cheap and 20 for usual - so i quit and just clipped my way to the evil look i now have

His normal price is £6.50 but ive always gone to him so he always knocks some off. There are far more hairdressers/barbers in St. Andrews than is healthy tbh and most are in the £7-£8 region for a quick clipping cut.

I dont think I've ever had to spend more than £10 on any haircut.

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #33 of 54
been doing it for 21 years, since I was 13. Started out with my moms leg razors and ended up with three large bald spots. Went to Canadian tire minutes later, minutes after I got home I was hooked. I use scissors, regular and thinning, and clippers too. I do the back as well. Lately I have been just shaving it, too easy. Try it out, nothing to lose.

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #34 of 54
I've been cutting my hair with clippers for the past 8 years. If you click on my avatar you can judge for yourself if I did a good job.

Just recently though I've started shaving my head for the sake of avoiding serious headphone hair. So not only has my wallet suffered from head-fi, but so has my hair.
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #35 of 54
I've been sporting a buzz cut for years now. Doesn't take too much time, though maybe in the future I'll learn how to trim my neck thoroughly. Not too long ago, I bought an Andis Professional Pivot Motor Clipper/Trimmer Combo to replace the Wahl clipper I've been using, and it's given the smoothest cuts I've ever felt. Not bad for around $60. Clipper oil makes a difference if you want a real even buzz cut.

Apr 21, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #36 of 54
I typically cut my hair once a year, whether it needs it or not. Usually it's in August/July. This is done with scissors, then my shaving razor. By winter I'm usually bushy again and keep a beard until the robins are chirpy. I'm not averse to getting a professional trim when the occasion arises, though. My wife likes my hair longer, and actually never quite likes the first few weeks of a bald husband.

but paying serious money for haircuts is bollocks.

If you go the no-cut route for extended periods the key is to care for your head very well - use a nice oil to massage the scalp every now and again, and keep the hair vibrant right to the tips.

Even when I had dreadlocks in college, there seemed always women wanting to play with them because they weren't natty and full of bugs. Actually I used a good quality shampoo with a floral scent. I think it worked out still spending less on shampoo than haircuts...

Apr 21, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #37 of 54
I am cheap, I cut my hair with a Wahl barbering kit. I start with the right side then left side blade attachments and then from there, I just use progressively longer blade attachments,till I reach the top. I do as good a job as my old barbershop did, but I don't have a lot of hair left to cut. I definitely couldn't do a scissor cut very well on my own. I even cut my three boys hair, but they are at an age where they don't want to comb their hair and they don't care what their hair looks like. I can say though as time goes on my skills are getting better.

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #39 of 54
The wife does mine...she cuts it very short...1/8" on the sides and back and about 1/4" on the top. I think I need to go a little longer. A buzz cut and a goatee and people have said I have a "maniacal" look to me.
eek.gif

Apr 21, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #40 of 54
I've been cutting my own with a Wahl trimmer for a year or two now. One nice short length all over, easy as can be. My wife helps me with the neck line, but hasn't let me down yet.

Apr 21, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #41 of 54
I used to pay about $18 for a buzz-cut at a pro hair-shop. Did that for years; until one day, I was at Walmart and found a set of Sunbeam clippers/trimmers (same as my stylist used), for $13.97 plus-tax. If I'd have used them once and thrown them away; they still would have been cheaper than paying someone to do it. I'm still using them, four years later (I just make sure to lube the blades before and after use)...and they have more than paid for themselves. I use 2 mirrors to see what I'm doing, and get the back even. Easiest way I've ever saved money, and still be able to look good and feel good! I love cutting my own hair
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #42 of 54
I shaved my own head for awhile but the beard trimmer I would use would always die about half way through, more then once I walked out the door forgetting to finish the job. I don't cut my own hair anymore..

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #44 of 54
I cut off my middle-age man ponytail and purchased some dog clippers 13 years ago and have been buzz-cutting my own hair ever since. It's saved me both time and a considerable amount of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back