Who has recabled his/her HD 800? (What difference does it make?)
Jan 4, 2010 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JaZZ

Headphoneus Supremus
Actually I'm perfectly happy with my HD 800, at the latest after modification. But I'm curious if the sound can be further improved. So what sonic difference does the new cable make on your pair compared to the stock cable?

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 13
If you're wondering, are you really "perfectly happy"?
wink.gif

I'm perfectly happy with you baby, its just that Elisha Cuthbert will always catch my eye.

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're wondering, are you really "perfectly happy"?
wink.gif

I'm perfectly happy with you baby, its just that Elisha Cuthbert will always catch my eye.

Good example!
wink.gif
But I'm indeed very happy with the HD 800. I don't need a change. But I'm curious if it gets even better. I wouldn't say no.

The hottest candidate so far is Moon Audio's Silver Dragon.

So people with experience with a recable, please post your findings in detail!
regular_smile .gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 13
I have the Blue Dragon cable, and there is definitely more detail and bass than the stock cable.

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good example!
wink.gif
But I'm indeed very happy with the HD 800. I don't need a change. But I'm curious if it gets even better. I wouldn't say no.

The hottest candidate so far is Moon Audio's Silver Dragon.

So people with experience with a recable, please post your findings in detail!
regular_smile .gif

A fully decked out APS V3 cable costs roughly the same as a Silver Dragon and is known to be a bit better.

Jan 4, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A fully decked out APS V3 cable costs roughly the same as a Silver Dragon and is known to be a bit better.

Can you link me to a corresponding review/comparison, if you don't have first-hand experience yourself?

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 13
I went with the Moon Audio Blue Dragon because I prefer a warmer sound. The Blue Dragon provided more bass and warmth while retaining tight quality bass. I think soundstaging and transparency also improved. When I talked to Drew, he said that more of his customers were choosing the Blue Dragon over the Silver Dragon for the HD800 where as the opposite is true for the HD650. Within the Moon Audio brand, I think the copper cables are a better match for the HD800 than silver. In fact, Drew feels the Black Dragon would be the best match for the HD800 but he can not fit the heavier cable to the Senn connector so its not available. Hope this helps.

Jan 4, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveM324 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went with the Moon Audio Blue Dragon because I prefer a warmer sound. The Blue Dragon provided more bass and warmth while retaining tight quality bass. I think soundstaging and transparency also improved. When I talked to Drew, he said that more of his customers were choosing the Blue Dragon over the Silver Dragon for the HD800 where as the opposite is true for the HD650. Within the Moon Audio brand, I think the copper cables are a better match for the HD800 than silver. In fact, Drew feels the Black Dragon would be the best match for the HD800 but he can not fit the heavier cable to the Senn connector so its not available. Hope this helps.

Yeah, thanks. I've read about Drew and his regret about the incompatibility of the Sennheiser plug. I think with the darker voicing from my modification my HD 800 should be compatible with the Silver Dragon, though. Anyway, I'm thankful for further recommendations.

Jan 5, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #9 of 13
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/re...cables-301979/

Second page he mentions that he heard both the Silver Dragon and the APS V3 side by side and they were very similar. There are also many comments throughout the forums from people who have heard Moon Audio and APS cables who prefer APS. Also, the APS is somewhat cheaper, with a more flexible sheath and debatably less prone to tangling cable.

My impressions from conversations with both company owners also makes me lean towards APS.

While both had EXCELLENT response time, Alex of APS was always making sure he had everything straight and it was exactly what I wanted (I am ordering an APS V3 recable in about 2 weeks), and doing everything he could to accommodate my needs.

OTOH, it seemed as though Drew was always trying to rush the sale. For example, I asked for a simple price quote and got about a 5 word answer followed by "How would you like to pay?". There was no effort made to see if everything was correct, if there were anything extra he could do, it was just all about the sale. What Alex did, on the other hand, was customer service at his finest.

I'm not trying to trash Drew here at all, I'm simply stating my personal impressions from pre-sales conversations with both companies as well as opinions I've heard.

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 13
The original poster said he has the Blue Dragon, not the Silver Dragon. I have the Blue Dragon as well and found that it definitely enhanced detail over the stock. With the 800 sound signature, I would not go with a Silver cable.

I'm not going to get into customer service aspect, as to only say I have not seen anything negative about either vendor. I also cannot say how the APS sounds since I have not heard it.

I would be careful in making blanket statements when you have not heard as of yet any of the cables being discussed.

Quote:

Second page he mentions that he heard both the Silver Dragon and the APS V3 side by side and they were very similar. There are also many comments throughout the forums from people who have heard Moon Audio and APS cables who prefer APS. Also, the APS is somewhat cheaper, with a more flexible sheath and debatably less prone to tangling cable.

My impressions from conversations with both company owners also makes me lean towards APS.

While both had EXCELLENT response time, Alex of APS was always making sure he had everything straight and it was exactly what I wanted (I am ordering an APS V3 recable in about 2 weeks), and doing everything he could to accommodate my needs.

OTOH, it seemed as though Drew was always trying to rush the sale. For example, I asked for a simple price quote and got about a 5 word answer followed by "How would you like to pay?". There was no effort made to see if everything was correct, if there were anything extra he could do, it was just all about the sale. What Alex did, on the other hand, was customer service at his finest.

I'm not trying to trash Drew here at all, I'm simply stating my personal impressions from pre-sales conversations with both companies as well as opinions I've heard.

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 13
I have been very pleased with my Silver Dragon cable. It is clearly better than the stock cable. I can't tell to what extent this is because it is balanced and the stock cable is SE, because it is better made, or because it is heavier guage. I suspect all three. Also, I found Drew very pleasant to deal with, and his estimate of how long the cable would take was accurate.

I can't offer a comparison of Silver Dragon cables with APS 800 cables. However, I was able, at a local meet in DC, to compare my HD 800, with a Silver Dragon cable, against an HD 800 with the $1,400 Stefan Audio Voice cable and an HD 800 with a Blue Dragon cable. This is reported in a thread in the High-End forum on balanced 800's. The cables were all balanced. I tested the pair of headphones on my system and then on the system of the owner of the other respective headphone. I used several CDs (actually SACDs) that I am familiar with, with classical, jazz, and rock.

The test of the two Dragon cables was particularlly easy in that the owner of the cable had a Singlepower amp with two balanced outputs, so that it was just a matter of taking one headphone off and putting the other on. I did not hear any differences in the two cables, even though one is silver and the other copper.

I also did not hear any difference between my cable and the Voice, which is copper. 4N6, the Voice's owner, did hear some differences and found that the Voice provided a little more detail, but the differences were minor.

If either of the two copper cables had made a significant improvement, I would have been quite interested in acquiring it, and so my wallet was relieved by the test.

YMMV.

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Which is meaningless, as you have only read things and have no personal experience yourself. Best to speak from your own experience, or not speak at all.
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried two cables on my HD-800s, a DIY one using CryoParts OCCC and an APS v3. The latter I prefer slightly, as it leaves the highs nice and open. While at first I appreciated the copper cable, in the end I decided I like the silver/copper combination better. Importantly, the re-cable helped smooth the highs and bring out a little more bass.

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

This would make a lot more convincing argument if that linked thread had 800 in it. B/c case A (in your case APS V3 > Dragon) applies to can A' does not imply case A will apply to can B. As stated in another thread I'd keep personal speculations on a tight leash if I were you. Analyticity of a function in a real plane is not equal to that of the identical function in the complex plane. Anyway this thread has got me pretty interested about recabling my 800. $300 cables appear more reasonable than the $1400 counterpart so far. I will do some further reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back