Who else prefers the Etymotics over the Shures?
Jul 23, 2005 at 1:10 PM Post #91 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
perfectly happy with the Shure signature for a year. Then on a whim bought the er-4s, only because so many swore by them. Sold Shures.

Mine is a similar story. Bought E3, bought ER6i, stopped using Shures, bought ER4S. Sold the Shures

Jul 7, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #92 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Mine is a similar story. Bought E3, bought ER6i, stopped using Shures, bought ER4S. Sold the Shures

Hate to resurrect a dead thread.. especially one as hot as this one. Sure sure.
biggrin.gif

My story is the same. Bought the E5c, heard an ER4, sent back the E5c, bought the ER4. To me it was pretty much the easiest decision I've made in audio.

I listen to all kinds of music, but I have a jazz piece from the Montreal hifi show a couple years ago, and on the ER4s if I close my eyes, they're right there in front of me. The phones disappear and the sound comes from in front of me. The only cue that tells me they're not there is the lack of sound pressure everywhere else.

Which makes me wonder. Is it possible we all *hear* IEMs differently? Above and beyond just sonic perception. Could it be that my ER4 sounds different to me than it does to others, because of ear canal shape, tympanic membrane dimensions, hearing loss, etc?

Jul 7, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #93 of 182
What's with the war?

Love them both!

ER4P, E4G, ER6, ER6i, liked them all, but didn't really like the E2 and E3 though.

Brand fanatism is bleh
orphsmile.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #94 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyron
What's with the war?

Love them both!

ER4P, E4G, ER6, ER6i, liked them all, but didn't really like the E2 and E3 though.

Brand fanatism is bleh
orphsmile.gif

It's not brand fanatism. I haven't heard any other Ety products and I'd dump them in a second if Shure came out with something that to *my* ears sounded better than them. I'd like to hear the E500.

I'd also love to give some UE-10s a listen if I wasn't scared of gettin screwed in the custom ear moulding process.
mad.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #95 of 182
The story is different here. Bought er6...no good...sold...bought er4...w00t! sold to finance another phone....tested e4...no good...luckily i didnt buy them...tested E500...no good...

So...yes...I prefer etys
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #96 of 182
I wear my ER4P's on Mondays and Wednesdays and the E5C's on Tuesdays and Thursdays and the E4C's with foamies at the gym and the UE-10's with the earmolds whenever I want a serious dedicated listening session.

I enjoy them all for different reasons just like my hankerin's for Cherry Garcia and Chocolate Mouse Royalle.

If I had just one choice for a desert island it would be the UE-10's for > $500 and the the E5C's for < $500.

Jul 7, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #97 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
people just get passionate about the the things they stick in their canals.
rolleyes.gif

insertion of a triflange into a sensative canal FTW!!!

i think im an ety guy. i do want to try out the shure e4's, but i am fairly sure that multiple drivers are not for me.

Jul 7, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #98 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyron

Brand fanatism is bleh
orphsmile.gif

Pick a brand and become a fanboy to that brand. Or Die.

Oh wait.......................
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I just realized how old this thread was. One of my first threads. Lazarus much??

Jul 8, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #99 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
Pick a brand and become a fanboy to that brand. Or Die.

Oh wait.......................
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I just realized how old this thread was. One of my first threads.

You've come a long way baby!
blink.gif

I missed this one...Ety for me.

Jul 8, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #100 of 182
Ety ftw!
biggrin.gif

To me, there's no point in buying the expensive audio stuff if you don't want the most accurate reproduction of the sound, and even with their age-old formula (and with one driver!), Etymotics as you see from this thread, has established a huge fanbase, and I'm proud to be one of their followers
etysmile.gif

Jul 8, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #101 of 182
I love my er4p's(soon to be er4s's). They just sound more "realistic" and "live" than other IEM's. This is coming from someone who constantly listens to real live music - play in an orchestra 24/7.

Jul 8, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #102 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
You've come a long way baby!
blink.gif

I missed this one...Ety for me.

Yeah I recall coming here for info on IEMs then leaving. That was a year ago. See sig for progress of illness since. Really crazy.
frown.gif

Jul 8, 2006 at 11:35 AM Post #104 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfire
Which makes me wonder. Is it possible we all *hear* IEMs differently? Above and beyond just sonic perception. Could it be that my ER4 sounds different to me than it does to others, because of ear canal shape, tympanic membrane dimensions, hearing loss, etc?

Our own perception of sound is all we have, and whilst we all share the same
basic specifications no ones anatomy is identical to another's.
Headphones on the other hand are pretty much identical so it follows that
if we could make some sort of frequency response graph that also included
the effects of ones own individual anatomy, they would all sound/measure a little differently.

Jul 8, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #105 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
Bet you will all sell the etys for the E500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MUAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sell? I never sell. You should know that by now.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back