who else hates ipods?
Dec 13, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #151 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apples column view in osx was around before creative's blatant patenting of its use in portable players and i am quite sure that is why apple was not happy at giving to the demands of creative at first. so, they bloody well ripped eachother
basshead.gif

I was also (and actually a bit more) talking about the ID3 tag browsing. Creative, I believe, was the first to ever implement this form of navigation. (i.e. Album, Artist, Songs) I don't doubt, however, that there was a bit of idea "stealing" going both ways. Again, I'm sort of happy that this stealing even takes place because it pushes the limits of all next generation players, as a whole, and not just a specific manufacturer out-doing themselves again. Who knows if what I think is the perfect DAP for me ever would have been manufactured if it weren't for that competition?

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #152 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We all seem to adore the underdog ... until it actually does well at which point we turn and adore something else instead.

I think this is mostly an issue with items that contains elements of subjectivity. Sound is subjective past a certain point, and fashion/brand is definitely subjective. An MP3 player is something you will carry around with you, so it is unsurprising to me that some people would consider it as an accessory, as part of clothing, where style matters (to some people).. think of it like a watch - there are people who don't care, yet others consider an important piece of accessory (and I see no reason to criticise). This is different from items like, say, a CPU, where the performance can be more objectively assessed [with benchmarks - though it is worth noting that some benchmarks will favour one type of CPU design over another]. 12-18 months ago, many computer enthusiasts favours AMD chips. But these days, it is pretty hard to back the underdog, when Intel's chip have reclaimed the performance crown.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that the average audio enthusiast can overlook the style/brand of an MP3 player, and focus just on the 'performance'.. that is, sound quality and feature set. In terms of feature sets, it's a win-some, lose some. The iPod requires may require accessories for what other players include in the player (i.e. radio). It may not have the best screen (last time I checked, I favour the Creative Vision:M - but I've not looked into DAP for a while). But it does support lossless, has a lineout, and is overall pretty lightweight for the capacity. People should weight their needs when making decisions. If someone put zero weight to 'smart playlists', then it doesn't count for anything. Overall though, I don't think that the iPod feature set is particularly inferior. That leaves sound quality, which again, is subjective. I sometime hear people comment that the iPod has 'crap quality'. I do remember being underwhelmed when I tried a 2nd Gen iPod a few years back, but when I tested between the iAudio X5, iPod 5G and Creative Vision:M, I didn't find the iPod to be inferior to the other two. I could've been very happy with any three, and I really couldn't find a favorite between the X5/G5 (both of which I prefer slightly over the Vision:M).

My point (which I am dragging it a little), picking among top tier MP3 players is almost solely subjective. I think that is what makes it easier to root for the underdog when it comes to MP3 players. If someone doesn't care that much about the specific feature sets, can't tell that much appart from the SQ, they'll go for what they think is 'coolest' or 'least uncool' (can't have the iPod alternatives be 'cool' or the whole argument falls appart doesn't it?).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just don't like Apple and their bullcrap advertising and slandering of other companies. Yeah, Microsoft isn't doing that great of a job, but Jobs doesn't have to go insulting it in commercials and advertisements. Their products are good, but their fanatical fanbase insists too much that everyone should convert to their product.

Umm. In terms of slandering, I would like to see some examples: it could be that Apple is worst than other companies - but frankly, I don't recall any commercials where Apple takes it on it's competitors. I know the current Nano advert at the cinemas in the UK make no reference whatsoever to other MP3 players.

And in terms of business practices.. I am far more fearful of Creative. Anyone remember Aureal? I would say that Creative make decent sound card these days, but I also have to wonder how much progress we would have seen had Aureal not been wiped out. And it makes me wonder. What would the DAP market be like if it was Creative who had the largest market share.. Yes, Apple is taking advantage of their position with iTune store, and DRM does get marked down in my book. But there are worse ways they could abuse their positions.

Dec 13, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #154 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What sort of itches my back is how the iPod is touted as being so easy to use and what not because of it's UI, however this was blatantly stolen from the Creative line of DAP's.

Man, I can't believe this thread is still going, but I guess I'll add a little more too.

I can only assume you're doing lite history here, pulled from the headlines, because no one who's made any public commentary on the Creative/Apple case (Creative called it the 'Zen Patent,' but it's really a 'Nomad Patent' - nice PR spin) believe Creative invented 'hierarchical navigation' or that Apple 'blatantly' ripped it off (I think I stole this method when I alphabetized by LPs in the late 70's). Creative did though get the patent from the USPTO (Apple has plenty of silly patents too) and Apple paid. But even granting that Creative magically invented organizing by artist/album/song title (and for some reason only went after Apple - funny they never went tried Sony, etc.), for someone with experience who went from the NJB to the iPod, yes even then the iPods GUI, scroll wheel and iTunes integration is 'easier' than the total NJB experience (which certainly wasn't difficult). There are plenty of things to complain about the iPod, but 'blatantly' ripping off the UI from Creative isn't one of them. Care to defend that statement?

Dec 13, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #155 of 155
I don't own any ipods, but I think they still fill a good niche in the market.

(I realize "niche" is a little contradictory considering how much of the market they own, but that's not my point)

I like messing around with mp3 players. It's fun for me to stick rockbox on something, tweak the eq constantly, manage my folder trees to organize my music better, etc. This habit doesn't really stop with mp3 players; the same goes for computers or pretty much any tech toy, but obviously not everyone wants that.

The ipod is great as a gift because people can plug it in and start using it right away with itunes. It's a no brainer, and it's going to sound pretty awesome to most people's ears - my sister loves hers, and I think she'd just get fed up with trying to figure something else out or why she can't use her itunes music on a different player.

I also like that the ipod pushes the market around.

While causation mght be a stretch based on what we know, I would guess that the nano pushed other mp3 player manufacturers to make cheaper flash based players. The presence of itunes pushed others to come up with music marketplaces as well (which leads to the current day DRM debacle, but that's another issue). It might even be reasonable to infer that the shiny/scratchy surface of the ipod made other manufacturers think "hey, let's make sure to make ours scratch-resistant."

Now I'll probably never buy an ipod since I'm just stuck-up about buying technology that everyone already has, but thanks to apple's success and aggressive development, I think it's forced other mp3 player makers to get off their tails and keep pace.

-my two cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back