Who else didn't find the Princess Sophia their "Cup of tea" ?
Jan 11, 2011 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Carmantom

1000+ Head-Fier
I recently bought a Princess Sophia as a result of all the glowing reviews.  I am using it with WA6-SE.  I am using it with a pair of 6DE7s - Sylvania and then I tried it w/ my RCAs w/shield. 

The soundstage wide, but to me not very deep.  I found the bass able to go very low, but with little impact.  A little to bloaty for my taste.  The mids were a little to tubey for me.  The treble on the other hand was delightful.  Crisp, airy and well defined.

I thinking I will go back to my best combo to date. NOS   CBS 5U4GB Rectifier along with a pair of 6DE7s GE Double Triode.  I find this combo to be very deep and punchy in the base.  Very wide soundstage, and holographic.  Mids are mildly romantic, no too tubey and the highs are not as crisp as the Sophia but plenty defined for me.

I will try some more tube rolling w/ some more 6de7s and some 6ew7s as well as well as some large 6ew7s.  Maybe I will find  some reason to hold onto the Sophia.  Otherwise, out she goes.

Maybe the EML 274B Mesh plate will be more p[leasing to me.  from what I read it serves up bass with more punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back