White Noise from 5G iPod?
Nov 9, 2005 at 3:07 PM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaipemw
Alfo,

It sounds like there's something wrong with your iPod in that case. The noise that I hear is barely audible at all--I had to really actively listen for it. I think that you should either call Applecare or exchange your new iPod, personally.

You were correct. I went back and tried a different one, and the noise was still present but very faint, so I exchanged my iPod. Thank you for your advice!

Nov 29, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #32 of 35
I just got some UM2's today and this was the first thing i noticed. I believe that one of those small impedance adapters really might help. I listened using a radio shack volume adapter via a SIK line out and there is no more hiss. (though this is a little cumbersome. I went back and forth a bunch of times listening to different material and i really don't notice any adverse affects. The high frequencies sound the same (someone mentioned they might get muddy). It's a bummer to realize the iPod has this issue. i tried it a 5G video iPod, a 4th gen b&w iPod, and a 3rd gen iPod.! Whatever, if a little impedance adapter can solve this hiss issue, then i'm happy. Does XIN still make them? FWIW these UM2's sounds amazing, much nicer that the Super.Fi pro5's that i just sent back--those are way too dark.)

Nov 29, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #34 of 35
oops.. i just tested again. Above I mentioned all our iPods having hiss issues with these phones. Actually the 3rd gen 20gig has a LOT less. Strange. But yes, with the volume adapter there is no noise at all using the line out. using the my XIN supermicro, there is some hiss.

Nov 29, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #35 of 35
KSC-35 to 75 ohm adapter to amp to line out of ipod (turbodock) = no white noise or hiss. In that chain, it's probably the 75 ohm adapter that's filtering it out, if it exists. Yes, I'm too lazy to...nm just did it. No hiss direct KSC-35 to the headphone out of the ipod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back