White Noise from 5G iPod?
Oct 30, 2005 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

xaipemw

100+ Head-Fier
I guess I hadn't noticed this before, since there was always some very slight background noise wherever I was, when I listened to my new 5G iPod. However, just a few minutes ago I decided to listen to some music with my Super.fi 5 Pro's. I plugged them in, automatically turning my iPod on. And I noticed a very faint white noise, even before I started playing my music. To do a test, I unplugged the phones, and the noise disappeared. It's not something that I could hear with music being played, even quiet music. And its not something that drives me crazy either. But, am I the only one with this issue? Is this normal?
confused.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaipemw
Is this normal?
confused.gif

Yes it is normal.

Oct 31, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaipemw
I guess I hadn't noticed this before, since there was always some very slight background noise wherever I was, when I listened to my new 5G iPod. However, just a few minutes ago I decided to listen to some music with my Super.fi 5 Pro's. I plugged them in, automatically turning my iPod on. And I noticed a very faint white noise, even before I started playing my music. To do a test, I unplugged the phones, and the noise disappeared. It's not something that I could hear with music being played, even quiet music. And its not something that drives me crazy either. But, am I the only one with this issue? Is this normal?
confused.gif

do you get the same white noise with your HD650 plugged directly into the pod?

Oct 31, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
do you get the same white noise with your HD650 plugged directly into the pod?

I'm not certain. I'll do a test right away, and then report.

Oct 31, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #6 of 35
Just did a test, with my HD650 plugged directly into my iPod. Of course, I had to turn the volume way up in order to replicate the same volume level at the Super.fi's. As far as I could tell, I could not hear any of that static/white noise.

Grr.... does this mean it's an impedance issue? I still don't fully understand that concept. More power is required to drive the Senns, that I know. And they sound pretty freakin' nice unamped out of my 5G iPod, interestingly enough. Apparently the lower impedance phones pick up on this noise?
confused.gif
Sorry for the ignorance.

Oct 31, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 35
I've noticed the same thing with my 5G 60GB iPod through my Shure e5c earphones. There is a little background white noise, it doesn't worry me too much though... after starting the music, the noise is still there, but it doesn't worry me unless I listen for it.

I'm impressed with the amplifier in it though, with the Shure e5cs I tend to run it at about 5 - 10% volume otherwise it's too loud! I guess one possible solution would be to put in a small resistor voltage divider (kind of like the Ety ER4P-S adaptor) and turn up the iPod a bit more.

So you're not the only one
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: I think it's because of the high sensitivity of the earphones in question here, as you turn down the volume on the iPod, the constant noise (independent of volume) becomes more significant relative to the music.

Oct 31, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #9 of 35
I just tried out my 5G 30GB with Shure E3C's. I started a nice loud song, paused it, and turned the volume all the way up. No noise whatsoever. No change with the earphones plugged in and unplugged.

Oct 31, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzbait
I just tried out my 5G 30GB with Shure E3C's. I started a nice loud song, paused it, and turned the volume all the way up. No noise whatsoever. No change with the earphones plugged in and unplugged.

You're probably more likely to notice it with the volume down near zero, the white noise is constant, so it will be louder relative to the music when the music is softer.

Nov 1, 2005 at 10:14 AM Post #12 of 35
I have the same problem with my iRiver H120 and the UE Super.fi 5 Pro. A constant quite background noise independent from the playing music and the volume. It goes on if you turn on the player
rolleyes.gif

Regards
Michael

Nov 1, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzbait
I just tried it again (Good thing I was listening to some Big Pig while reading Head-Fi) with music playing, but volume turned all the way down. No sound could be heard.

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain very well... the volume has to be above zero. As soon as the volume hits zero, the hiss stops, I guess the iPod turns off the DACs or amplifiers or something when the volume hits zero.

Like I said, it's a fairly quiet output anyway, so I'm not complaining much about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back