Whistling noise on Monster Turbine Pro Gold
Jan 12, 2011 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

indigosun

New Head-Fier
This is my first pair of expensive headphones. I get a really annoying whistle on certain parts of a lot of songs when using these. I've tried several input devices (ipod nano didn't have enough volume, but macbook and macbook air both gave me a lot of whistling when the volume was turned up to 80%+)... I don't know if this is a common problem or an actual defect? Any ideas? I know I can send them back and get them replaced but I live in China and got them sent over from the UK, so sending them back right now would be a bit of a pain. Thanks for any help!

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 3
To be truthful with you, normally at 80%+ volume limits (on the ipods) there are major distortions in sound quality, and one of those characteristics is the whistling characteristics. If you got 90%+ you get some crackle as well. You might want to consider getting an amp. The MT Golds aren't supposed to make a whistling noise regardless of sound level. So it's one of two things. The headphones are defective, or your source doesn't have enough power to driver your headphone at that level.

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
To be truthful with you, normally at 80%+ volume limits (on the ipods) there are major distortions in sound quality, and one of those characteristics is the whistling characteristics. If you got 90%+ you get some crackle as well. You might want to consider getting an amp. The MT Golds aren't supposed to make a whistling noise regardless of sound level. So it's one of two things. The headphones are defective, or your source doesn't have enough power to driver your headphone at that level.

you shouldn't have a problem with any of the sources mentioned above, I think the headphones are the culprit here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back