Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Feb 16, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #258 of 1,413
Scotch - I'm a big fan of the Balvenie (double wood and portwood) and the Macallan 15. 
Blended scotch, JW black or green. 
Irish - Bushmills "Black Bush"
Bourbon - meh, I enjoyed the Buffalo trace bourbons enough, but not enough to bother with keeping any on hand. Since I usually only use bourbon in cocktails, I tend to keep a bottle of Makers Mark around.
Rye - Sazerac or Old Overholt. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #259 of 1,413
I find Macallan 15 to be incredibly boring - it does wake up with a drop of water, but still doesnt really do anything for me.  As far as highland whisky goes, I by far prefer Highland Park 12

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #261 of 1,413

Quote:
I find Macallan 15 to be incredibly boring - it does wake up with a drop of water, but still doesnt really do anything for me.  As far as highland whisky goes, I by far prefer Highland Park 12

I can dig it. I'm definitely more a Speyside man. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #262 of 1,413
I've been a bourbon man myself for several years now. I started out with Maker's, which I really like a lot. Lately I have been trying to find cheaper comparable options. I started with a bottle of Evan Williams Black, which wasn't too bad, but not totally my thing. I decided to try another wheated bourbon and am currently drinking a bottle of Wellers Reserve, which is good, but a little strong at 110 proof.

This weekend, during a nice valentines dinner with my girlfriend, I decided to try some new bourbon. I had a glass of Black Maple Hill Small Batch 8 Year. Definitely the best bourbon I have had. Several others with me who had it also agreed, one of them a frequent visitor to Kentucky and many of the distilleries. It was smooth, with a little sweetness, but still had some bite at the end. I will definitely be picking up a bottle if I can ever find one, especially because the price seems very reasonable on it.

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #264 of 1,413
Yamazaki's delicious. It would definitely be in my collection.

Quote:
just wondering. what do you guys think of the whiskeys coming from japan. yamakazi and hibichi 12 and 18 year old seem to be getting alot of praise latly.

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #266 of 1,413

Quote:
just wondering. what do you guys think of the whiskeys coming from japan. yamakazi and hibichi 12 and 18 year old seem to be getting alot of praise latly.

My friend was just over there, doing a tour of the highlands, and said that many scotsman were drinking the Yamakazi... as good as many of theirs, and cheaper. I've not tried them myself, but I am definitely curious. 

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #267 of 1,413
I had been almost exclusively a Scotch drinker until a few years ago.  Now I primarily drink Bourbon but still occasionally enjoy Scotch.

Bourbon is a bit more affordable than Scotch but the prices are climbing due to the increased demand for it.

I'm afraid to post what my favorites are because they are already getting hard to find and more and more expensive.

I'm going to attend an Irish whisky and food pairing dinner next week at a Cleveland establishment called the Grovewood Tavern.  We'll be sampling 5 different Bushmills including one that is no longer available.  This could lead to exploring another variety of spirits.

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #268 of 1,413
My Monkey Shoulder arrived today - it is my new favorite spirit.  It's a vatted malt, from 3 speyside single malts.  Such depth... sublime

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #269 of 1,413
I tried my first single malt scotch whiskey this weekend. I have to admit it was pretty awful tasting, but it was also cheap. I have always preferred bourbon and American/Canadian whiskeys.
My favorites are Jim Beam - Black Double Aged, Jim Beam - Devils Cut. I also picked up some Jack Daniels - Tennessee Honey this weekend which I thought was pretty good.

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #270 of 1,413

Quote:
I tried my first single malt scotch whiskey this weekend. I have to admit it was pretty awful tasting, but it was also cheap. I have always preferred bourbon and American/Canadian whiskeys.
My favorites are Jim Beam - Black Double Aged, Jim Beam - Devils Cut. I also picked up some Jack Daniels - Tennessee Honey this weekend which I thought was pretty good.

As a Scot, let me tell you it's a single malt whisky, not whiskey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back