Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Mar 24, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #226 of 1,413
Hey Abe.
Don't get me wrong. I understand, and am not judging your actions (that's way beyond my station), merely pointing out that stories like this have created some serious firestorms here.
I also stated that if you're ok with what transpired... it's all a matter of conscience as what you did was perfectly legal.

And... judging by the lack of negative reaction on this thread... it appears like tacit approval from the onlookers.

Cheers

shane

hey shane,

I want to thank you for your warnig. I perhaps caught you on the wrong meaning.
I didn't know that cases like this can be my own grave here. so thank you shane.

Don't get me wrong either, I didn't want to attack you or similar, just wanted to make my clear my point of view :)

So we perhaps can have a digital whisky here? :wink:
Jokes by side, thank you again :)

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #227 of 1,413
I would have done exactly the same. :wink:

Never had a blue label. Only had their red and black label (which was on the rocks, too) once and I didn't really like them. Perhaps I will buy a black label to test it in some friendlier environment. It seems like it's a pretty good whisky, most people seem to like the black one.

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #228 of 1,413
Just to clarify, it wasn't buying headphones cheap that caused problems. It was people then trying to flip them here for a profit. If you were to open up a for sale selling those bottles of blue label for $100 a bottle here, it'd cause the same difficulty.

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #229 of 1,413

Quote:
I would have done exactly the same. :wink:

Never had a blue label. Only had their red and black label (which was on the rocks, too) once and I didn't really like them. Perhaps I will buy a black label to test it in some friendlier environment. It seems like it's a pretty good whisky, most people seem to like the black one.

Thank you apatN :) I see you come from the Netherlands, I ordered my Westone ES5's in you country via Variphone :wink:

Yes the black label isn't that bad for the price but it is a sipy whisky I think.

Quote:
Just to clarify, it wasn't buying headphones cheap that caused problems. It was people then trying to flip them here for a profit. If you were to open up a for sale selling those bottles of blue label for $100 a bottle here, it'd cause the same difficulty.

Of course this aspect makes the whole story another one!
I didn't even dare to think about selling my bottles, I'm to greedy with my whisky xD No just joking.

So my final words to this subject, if you have the opportunity to try some Blue Label, try it, IMHO it is worth it :)

cheers

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #230 of 1,413

Quote:

You are absolutely correct that the possibility of flipping the cans raised the level of ire even higher, but iirc no one actually sold them in that manner, but many bought. There were many who were lambasting the buyers simply for purchasing at this mistake pricing. I was one of those who purchased, and so I was very involved in the ensuing fray.

And let me apologize right now for the gross OT.

And as for Black or Blue label. Not to my liking. Give me an Islay single malt.
wink_face.gif

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #231 of 1,413

Quote:

You are absolutely correct that the possibility of flipping the cans raised the level or ire even higher, but iirc no one actually sold them in that manner, but many bought. There were many who were lambasting the buyers simply for purchasing at this mistake pricing. I was one of those who purchased, and so I was very involved in the ensuing fray.

And let me apologize right now for the gross OT.

And as for Black or Blue label. Not to my liking. Give me an Islay single malt.
wink_face.gif

Hey,

I'm not that much into abbreviations, so what means OT ^^'

Never heard of it but I'm young so :wink: will try it at the first opportunity :wink:

By the way, just today I bought a 18 years Macallen Single Malt ... extremely interesting flavor and indeed good for the price :wink:

good night

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #232 of 1,413
OT=Off topic

Macallan is a solid reliable stand by.  Kind of the Montecristo of malts to my mind.  Consistent quality that won't offend you and appeals to a wide audience.  Though I'm just a Lagavulin and Romeo y Jullietta/Hoyo de Monterrey guy.  Habanos of course.  

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #233 of 1,413

Quote:
Macallan is a solid reliable stand by.  Kind of the Montecristo of malts to my mind.  Consistent quality that won't offend you and appeals to a wide audience.  Though I'm just a Lagavulin and Romeo y Jullietta/Hoyo de Monterrey guy.  Habanos of course.  

All true.
And yes... good taste in both scotch and cigs, my friend. But I'm also just fine with my Caol Isla and AVO-XO. 
wink_face.gif

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #235 of 1,413
Shane, I'm surprised you don't like Johnny Black. It's a very inoffensive whisky where the main single malt in the mix is Caol Isla. Personally I have to be in the mood for Caol Isla (got a bottle of the cask strength), but I'd quite happily tuck into Johnny Black anyday. I guess price is also an issue, but that doesn't stop me from smacking into Lagavulin 16 hard when I have some :frowning2:

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #237 of 1,413

Quote:
Shane, I'm surprised you don't like Johnny Black. It's a very inoffensive whisky where the main single malt in the mix is Caol Isla. Personally I have to be in the mood for Caol Isla (got a bottle of the cask strength), but I'd quite happily tuck into Johnny Black anyday. I guess price is also an issue, but that doesn't stop me from smacking into Lagavulin 16 hard when I have some :frowning2:

I'm surprised too.
blink.gif
 But there is a certain flavour in the mix that just didn't appeal to me. Having said that... First, it's been a long time since I've had it, and second, I'm always willing to give it another go... or two... or three, just to be able to pinpoint the exact issue.  
wink.gif

@ khaos974
Great price! Lagavulin is my 'go-to', regardless of mood or 'event'.

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #238 of 1,413
I just watched National Geographic's documentary about how Jack Daniel's is made. Sure, it's a bit corny (hehe) as with all the NG documentaries but it was great to have a visual presentation about the whole factory. I learned some new stuff and it's impressive, to say the least, to see how much work it takes to make one bottle of Jack. I can only recommend watching it. :)

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #240 of 1,413
I would not consider myself a connoisseur of whiskey but I really like it. Since I have lived in Northern Ireland for some time now, my preferred whiskey brand is Bushmills. I've visited the distillery a few times and always buy loads of stuff in the factory shop. Recently I got 2 bottles of 12yr single malt that is only sold in that shop and also 2 bottles of 16yr anniversary whiskey tht htey sell there. Both were very nice and my friends enjoyed it a lot too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back