Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Mar 4, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #211 of 1,413

Quote:
I can't believe you guys have spent almost a page discussing how to manipulate a drop or two of water into your malt.  I'm beginning to wonder if some of you should be drinking at all.  Definitely not operating heavy machinery or designing rockets.  
tongue.gif
wink.gif

imagine how much ranting they'll do when they're drunk

Mar 5, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #212 of 1,413

Quote:
I can't believe you guys have spent almost a page discussing how to manipulate a drop or two of water into your malt.  I'm beginning to wonder if some of you should be drinking at all.  Definitely not operating heavy machinery or designing rockets.  
tongue.gif
wink.gif

...and that comes from someone with 5640 posts on a forum discussing headphones
wink.gif

tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #213 of 1,413
I see tweaking your Scotch with water to get the best nose and palate from it as being no different from tweaking your audiophile gear to get the best sound.

But to each his own, all that really matters is that you enjoy whatever it is you're doing.

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #214 of 1,413
Friend of my mother's showed me his whisky collection the other day. Unbelievable. Him and his wife used to own a liquor import company here in SA. She's got a ridiculous wine collection and he's got the whisky collection. A conservative estimate of the value of his collection is about $100k. Has 2 bottles that go for 17k GBP each (according to recent auctions at Christies). The rest is stuff from 60's 70's to present day vintage starting at 10 years and going through to 50. Needless to say, I'm nurturing our relationship like a mofo.

Mar 19, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #215 of 1,413
Any way he can adopt you? 
wink_face.gif

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #217 of 1,413
lmao!! Yeah...."I'm 35, I won't be any trouble, honest!!"

I do feel a little bit sorry for him though (well, not *that* much). You can't really drink such expensive whisky. It's too expensive. You can only really keep it or sell it. I guess it's an investment of sorts but it only gains value because its rarity, not because it's maturing in the bottle.

Though, the scene in sideways comes to mind where the guy glugs his prize bottle in a mcdonalds cup :)

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #218 of 1,413
I'm having some right now, actually. It's one of my favorites.

Quote:
Another good option, tho it's irish and not scotch, is Red Breast 12.  It's a very unusual whiskey, but it's quite good.  Very nice character, and about as far from an Ardbeg as you can get.

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #219 of 1,413
Hey,

Whisky haha Funny story, I went to a shop here in Luxemburg and there were several wines and whiskies priced down. So I just took a look at them. Right there, before my eyes stood 10 bootles of Blue Label...and the price tag underneath said 8.99€...in my mind they were around 150€. So I took a bottle and took it to a scanner. As I thought they cost 149.99€. 

Now guess what I did...

Right! I took one bottle to the cash desk and she asked me 149.99€. Then I told here that the price tag just said 8.99€ and not 149.99€. The woman behind the desk turned all white, called an assistant and they indeed sold me a Blue Label bottle for 8.99€ :D

Now comes the funny part :wink: Behind me stood my girlfriend with the rest 9 bottles and she got them also for the same price :D

(by the way, this Blue Label is indeed very good IMHO)

Abe

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #220 of 1,413
[size=10.5pt]Yeah... well here's another funny story.[/size]
[size=10.5pt] [/size]
[size=10.5pt]Several months ago many people on the (full size) Headphone forum purchased a certain headphone at an outrageously low price (about 1/10th regular cost). Before it was confirmed that it was a mistake, some people got upset at the purchasers for taking gross advantage of an 'obvious' error. Some withheld judgment, and others just said... 'who cares'. Once it was revealed to in fact be a mistake, some real fireworks occurred as the ‘you must return them’ side was pitted against the ‘but it was their mistake’ side.[/size]
[size=10.5pt] [/size]
[size=10.5pt]It got seriously ugly. Some Head-fi’ers were banned. The thread was edited and locked.[/size]
[size=10.5pt] [/size]
[size=10.5pt]Taking advantage of a mistake can get you caught up in a world of self righteous indignation. Both sides might have a valid point, but in the end it’s a matter of conscience. If you feel it was the right thing to do… if you feel justified and have no issue with a local store (and I don’t know the circumstances) losing money on this miss-pricing, then that’s your business. But know that you might have opened yourself to some serious criticism for doing so.[/size]
[size=10.5pt] [/size]
[size=10.5pt]Be aware, some don’t find things like this very funny…[/size]

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #221 of 1,413
[size=10.5pt] [/size]
[size=10.5pt]Several months ago many people on the (full size) Headphone forum purchased a certain headphone at an outrageously low price (about 1/10th regular cost). Before it was confirmed that it was a mistake, some people got upset at the purchasers for taking gross advantage of an 'obvious' error. Some withheld judgment, and others just said... 'who cares'. Once it was revealed to in fact be a mistake, some real fireworks occurred as the ‘you must return them’ side was pitted against the ‘but it was their mistake’ side.[/size]
[size=10.5pt] [/size]
[size=10.5pt]It got seriously ugly. Some Head-fi’ers were banned. The thread was edited and locked.[/size]
[size=10.5pt] [/size]
[size=10.5pt]Taking advantage of a mistake can get you caught up in a world of self righteous indignation. Both sides might have a valid point, but in the end it’s a matter of conscience. If you feel it was the right thing to do… if you feel justified and have no issue with a local store (and I don’t know the circumstances) losing money on this miss-pricing, then that’s your business. But know that you might have opened yourself to some serious criticism for doing so.[/size]
[size=10.5pt] [/size]

Well said. I try to be as honest as possible, so I don't buy on mispricings. But it's not my place to judge the decisions of others.

Mar 23, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #222 of 1,413
Very good, the Blue Label?

Certainly not at EUR 150.00, I would say that below EUR 60.00, it would be a very good buy.
At 8.99, well, I truly would mind ten bottles.
beerchug.gif

Mar 23, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #223 of 1,413
Very good, the Blue Label?

Certainly not at EUR 150.00, I would say that below EUR 60.00, it would be a very good buy.
At 8.99, well, I truly would mind ten bottles.
beerchug.gif

Yes, Johnnie Walker Blue Label Scotch Whisky :wink:
IMHO I find that it tastes good. In comparison with a Macallan I prefer the Blue Label, although I really like the taste of the cark from the Macallen.

Oh that would be too cheap here in Luxemburg. For 60€ you perhaps get the gold label and then it surely is priced down... so you're one lucky dude then :wink:

Abe

Mar 23, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #224 of 1,413

Quote:
[size=10.5pt] [/size]
[size=10.5pt] [/size]
[size=10.5pt] [/size]
[size=10.5pt] [/size]
[size=10.5pt][/size]

Hey shane55,

As far as I'm concerned, I'm ok with the situation and haven't got any problems with the store or something else because they realized their mistake. The problem (or not) here is that if a store has priced down articles they have to write this down for example in a flyer, magazine, advertisement or something else. They even have to write down until what time they price down something. It is even worse if they write the clause 'until end of stock'. (an example later on) So if they did the mistake to price down this whisky they simple have to take this mistake because they can't change the price until the time or the stock is over/has expired. So in this case it is ok, I juste bought what I bought and didn't 'steal' them. It could have been another customer who checked the mistake, but it was me, so it doesn't matter how you turn the situation, it would have turned out the same. (except for the ten bottles perhaps, but who knows)

Here the other example. While the release of the PlayStation3 in one of the countries next to me, the PS3 was priced down by 1/3 (it was only the release) and they wrote on their ads until end of stock. Of course they were all sold out the first day and they HAD to sell it for the price they offered it. Now, here is the question: are they now 'stolen' or is it ok ? Of course it was a mistake and even the media told the story, but the price had to remain the same because the law want's it this way.

So with my whisky it is the same story, except for the ten bottles, but honestly, what would you do with 2 or 3 PS3's ? Basically it is the same idea. 
I want to make clear that it wasn't my intention to 'steal them', I just benefited from the priced down articles, nothing less, nothing more. 

Of course you now can argue about wether it is ok or not. Basically I'm a really honest man, (I even pay the 1 cent overprice for petrol while the cashier always says it is ok) and I don't go against my principles. But even if I wanted to pay the fully 150€, I can't (and believe me it is not my first bottle of Blue Label for the full price). I was just lucky to be the first to discover the priced down whisky.

So in the end, how I said before, it doesn't matter how you turn the situation, it would always come to the same end. They would have been sold for 8,99€. All of them.

Abe

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #225 of 1,413
Hey Abe.
Don't get me wrong. I understand, and am not judging your actions (that's way beyond my station), merely pointing out that stories like this have created some serious firestorms here.
I also stated that if you're ok with what transpired... it's all a matter of conscience as what you did was perfectly legal.

And... judging by the lack of negative reaction on this thread... it appears like tacit approval from the onlookers.

Cheers

shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back