Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Jul 2, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #16 of 1,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I first had a dram of Lagavulin 16 yo I thought it was possibly the most wonderful drink I ever tasted. I've got a bottle now and don't find it so incredible. Inconsistent bottlings or the whisky equivalent of reverse burn in?

Lagavulin is very smoky, its a wonderful flavour, but its powerful. If you're drinking it straight then it'll take a few sips to let the burn and flavour settle and be appreciable. Or you can, like you did last time, add distilled water or ice.

One serving suggestion I saw seemed like a good idea. You get a glass of chilled mineral water and a seperate glass of straight scotch, take a sip of the water, and then a sip of the scotch. There's just enough water remaining on your taste buds to lessen the impact of the scotch, without really diminishing the flavour the way diluting/drinking it with ice does.

For me, my favourite scotch has to be Glenfidditch 12. I've tried all sorts of scotches over the years, some very expensive - Johnny Walker Blue, Green and Gold, Lagavulin 16, Glenfidditch 21 (a slight blend with cuban rum), and a host of 12yr old single malts, and I keep coming back to Glen 12. It just balances all the right qualities of smoothness, sweetness and a little bit of bite.

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #17 of 1,413
There is only one whiskey worth mentioning and its not this bose skullcandy junk.

Over the years i've tried to like Scotch whisky but nothing suited i've even tried french whiskey!

Irish Bushmills Whiskey - the original and still the best - i have a bottle that was made just for me with my name on it
smily_headphones1.gif
- won't open it though.

my favourite is black bush although i'm partial to the odd single malt.

they have been distilling whiskey since 1608 thats over 400years!

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #18 of 1,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would definitely concur. I would put my favorite bourbons against a single-malt any day. Give "Maker's Mark," "Jefferson Reserve," and/or "Woodford Reserve" a try. Heck, companies that make Single-Malt buy and use used Maker's Mark barrels to make their product.

I guess it's a preference thing, because I have a bottle of Maker's Mark, and when I have it after even my cheapest single malts, I find it almost undrinkable. It's just so simple and sweet in comparison.

Black Bush is nice, but when I compare that to a cheap Scotch, I find it a little sweet as well. I'd drink it over Maker's Mark any day, but it still lacks the complexity of a nice Scotch. I prefer more complex spirits, and I like my whiskey dry and peaty. I've really been enjoying cask strength (or non chill filtered) Scotches lately. Lots of flavour.

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #22 of 1,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a bottle of the 12 year old Yamazaki. I know what you mean about hard to get and expensive, especially in Canada, but it is delicious.

When I found the Yamazaki, I can't help myself to get two bottle of 12 and a bottle of 18. Needless to say, one bottle of 12 is gone and the 18, still waiting for a special occasion or excuse to open it. Not sure I can find another 18 or not.

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #23 of 1,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lagavulin is very dry, petey and a lot of smoke.
Not my preference, but may be to others.
And whisky should be diluted with a little water, not too cold.
It does bring out the flavor and taste.
NO ICE!
Ice can ruin any good whisky!
Now I prefer Macallan cask strength, very tasty and a lot of sweet flavor.
And very strong!
Absolutely need to be filled up with a drop of water!

Online Liquor Store - Best Quality Liquor Scotch Whisky Brandy at Low Prices

I prefer a half of ice cube in my scotch except anything 18 years or older. Did you tried Macallan French oak? it is very smooth.

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #25 of 1,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I found the Yamazaki, I can't help myself to get two bottle of 12 and a bottle of 18. Needless to say, one bottle of 12 is gone and the 18, still waiting for a special occasion or excuse to open it. Not sure I can find another 18 or not.

I bought the Yamazaki when I was in the states last Christmas; I brought 5 other bottles home that I can't get in Canada so I could only bring back 1 Yamazaki.

I have an 18 year old Macallan Fine Oak that I haven't opened yet, as well as a 17 year-old special edition Scotch that was made at Macallan's Distilleries by another company. It's one of only 348 bottles. That one isn't open yet either; saving it for a special occasion.

Labrat, have you ever tried the Glenlivet Nadurra 16 year old? If you like strong cask strength, it's quite nice. I'm not a big fan of some Glenlivet products, but the Nadurra is good. Laphroaig Quarter Cask 10 is another pretty good cask strength.

What about Highland Park? Any fans here? The 15 year-old is one of my favourites.

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #26 of 1,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was usually drinking their 12 year old Elegance, from their core range, Sherry Oak.
It have a nice taste and flavor.
Also have an 18 year old Sherry Oak and a 25 year old Fine Oak on my shelf, they appear a little too dry and smokey for my preference.
but after I discovered the 10 year old cask strength, I have stayed with that.
The other bottles are getting dusty!
Macallan have so many variations and flavors, not easy find the one for you!
And the French Oak, I could not find it on their pages?
It might have been removed from their list.
They did remake their selection a few years ago, I think.

You maybe right on the name, probably fine oak. I got it on duty free shop on my way back from UK few years ago. I will double check it tonight.

Jul 2, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #28 of 1,413
I had the Glen Rothes 1985 recently, and enjoyed it quite a bit. In slightly less expensive expressions I liked the Talisker 10, the Ardbeg, and Laphroiag Quarter Cask.

I have been drinking a Rye and Bourbon lately, as well. Van Winkle Family Reserve is usually a good value.

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #29 of 1,413
Bought out my bottle of lagavulun 16yo. Poured myself a dram and have been adding a little extra water each time.

So much complexity. It's like a different drink with each dilution. I've added around a 5th water now and it's almost perfect - pretty much like I remember from the first time.

Scared to add more water so I think I'll wait until I've nearly finished the glass before trying any more.

Edit: taken the edge off the alcohol now and it's mouthfulls of lovely lovely peat. Yum.

Jul 2, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #30 of 1,413
To continue the OP's thought...yes.

I'm a bourbon fan. Daily? Wild Turkey 101. Special Occasions? Winkler's, Bookers, that kind of thing.

Yet here I am reading about bourbons I've never heard of.

I'm sure I'll try them.

Just like since joining Head-Fi, I've learned about HP's and amps I never heard of.

Beyerdynamic? TYVM.

Denon? Had the components, but as for the 'phones? TYVM.

Meier Audio Corda 3Move? TYVM.

Audio-gd Compass? TVYM x10.

AudioEngine? TYVM.

Geez, I thought my wallet would only get lighter with audio. Now here it goes with bourbon too. Please don't launch a post on fishing rods. I only use G Loomis. A new name would leave me bankrupt.

lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back