Which USB to SPDIF box to buy??
Apr 15, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #19 of 27
If you don't want to be tethered to the computer there's also the airport extreme (airtunes) option if you are using iTunes. The airport extreme can take the mini TOSLINK connector.

Apr 17, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #20 of 27
Has anyone tried Trends UD-10 USB with USB Stello? Stello has very decent USB implementation, wondering if there is anything to gain by switching to Trends as a converter and just using coax in. In my early tests with M-Audio Transit native Stello USB sounded slightly better.

EDIT: Looks like both, Trends and Stello, use PCM2704 for USB conversion.

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the mac mini not have an optical out?

i know the new ones do, maybe the older models do not?

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #23 of 27
I posted this in another thread, but will share it here:

For those concerned about wanting to connect a computer to the Octavert DAC but not having optical or coax out on the computer, I can confirm that the Behringer UCA202 U-control can indeed do a decent job converting USB to optical S/PDIF out.

You can skip using the headphone out from the U-control because while it is decent sounding, even my 5.5G iPod headphone out carries more weight and 3D depth. However, the sound quality of the U-control USB>optical out converter going into my HR Micro Stack seems to be close to the Micro Stack connected via it's own USB DAC. The sound quality of the Macbook's built-in optical out into the Micro Stack is more 3D and spacious, but I think details are still all there with the UCA202 via USB.

I am sick right now, and just don't have the energy to do a very in depth review. But, I spent about an hour to an hour and a half testing it with a variety of PC and Macintosh computers, in order to answer another Head-Fi member's questions about using the Livewires with the UCA202 so as to minimize hiss from his laptop with sensitive IEMs.

I would suspect that most people who use it to get an optical signal out of their computer would find it adequate, as recommended by others in the Octavert 01 thread previously.

-----------

There is no mention of optical digital audio out in the Mac Mini 2005 user's guide - http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Mac...sers_Guide.pdf

Apr 17, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #24 of 27
Trends, Trends, Trends, Trends

I use mine to coax and it makes my entire life better.

My ancient Sony digital pre-amp sounds so much better now. Not a placebo. I have Stax and they will tell you the truth.

Apr 20, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried Trends UD-10 USB with USB Stello? EDIT: Looks like both, Trends and Stello, use PCM2704 for USB conversion.

Would have made little sense regardless.

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All these boxes basically do the same thing just take the usb data and convert it to spdif. Does anyone have a background that could explain why a better unit makes a difference?

Aside cost, key technical differences include:
- the DAC: PCM2704 HagUsb, Trends vs CM108 Link II - I don't know much of the CM108 but the Burr-Brown has a kind of reclocking technique called SpAct
- power: the Trends can run off batteries, Link II off a wallwart, HagUsb powered solely by USB
- free analogue output - HagUsb and Trends tap direct from the DAC
- Link II is digital only, but does tap the I2S so that it can be fed on to another DAC - I2S output not available from the PCM2704
- Trends make noise about their choice of capacitors, but there are Os-Cons in the Link II as well. Don't know what will ship with the HagUsb but I'm sure the components will be fine.

All these things could have a bearing on the output quality - but half that depends on what it's working with and your own ears! Have fun evaluating
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back