which upgrade first?
Sep 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Keopele19

New Head-Fier
I'm deciding between a couple options to upgrade my entry level computer setup:

I have grado sr80s currently powered by window's "high definition audio driver" or whatever it's called - basically the onboard soundcard from my ~7 year old asus motherboard.  I also have ****ty 2.1 logitech speakers but mostly listen to rock / prog rock and some electronic through the grados, I might upgrade the speakers at some point, but more focused on being selfish with cans so might upgrade those sooner haha.  I play SC2 and occasionally other games but mainly starcraft. and my focus is the music (between 192 and 320 bitrate mp3 mostly).

Will I benefit from an amp/dac upgrade?  I had it narrowed down to a couple options, please help me decide or recommend a smarter alternative:

asus essence stx - i've heard great things about this sound card. will they work well with low impedance cans like grados?

hifiman ef2a - also, a dac/amp combo i've heard good reviews about, and at a tempting pricepoint.  obviously won't have any of the gaming features of the internal soundcard, but will it sound better than the asus stx?

little dot i+ / fiio or similar dac - i've read reviews describing how well the  LD i+ plays with grados, but what about a dac? most expensive option so am i right in assuming it will sound the best?

Thanks.

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 4
You probably wont hear significant differences between the options.  That being said, I personally would go with the Asus because of the added flexibility.  The Grados will be easy to drive for either option.

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 4
Question is doubled posted.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/682056/which-upgrade-first

Users who are viewing this thread

Back