Which tube amp under $200 for Q701 and SR325is
Sep 29, 2012 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TomodachiF

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

I'm thinking about buying an tube amp for under $200. Which tube amp  is better for driving the Q701 and SR325is? I listen to all kinds of genre from classical to rock to electronica. I want a warm musical tube sound.

If you have any tubes amps under $200 please recommend. Also I will not be tube rolling any time soon. The tube amps I have looked at are:

Littledot 1+
Littledot MKII
Bravo Audio Ocean.

Thanks

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
I'm thinking about buying an tube amp for under $200. Which tube amp  is better for driving the Q701 and SR325is? I listen to all kinds of genre from classical to rock to electronica. I want a warm musical tube sound.
If you have any tubes amps under $200 please recommend. Also I will not be tube rolling any time soon. The tube amps I have looked at are:
Littledot 1+
Littledot MKII
Bravo Audio Ocean.

My "guess" is the Little Dot 1+ hybrid.

Ask on this thread for "Amping the Q701"
http://www.head-fi.org/t/598004/amping-for-akg-q701

Sep 29, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 8
If you're looking for a tube amp, I wouldn't get the LDI+ as it's a hybrid.  It sounds nice, but it's not a tube amp.

Personally I loved the LDI+ when I had it but felt that the pot was kind of ... junky.  The sound was nice on the other hand.  But it's not a true tube amp.

Sep 30, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 8
I have MKII. I haven't used it in 3 months because I've been far too busy with work and school. For the price it's very nice but compared to MKI i cannot compare because i don't have one. Compared to Fiio E11 much better but it's not fair since one's desk and fiio is portable.
If you'll be tube rolling I'd suggest GE 5654w, for the price it's really good. now i mention the tubes i have way too many and need to post on FS or ebay. Don't fall into my mistake of buying way too many tubes. 1 set of each will last you a long time. 
triportsad.gif

Sep 30, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #7 of 8
I will say that the LD1+ with GA-408A tubes and the Grado SR325is is a fantastic pairing. I don't know the difference between the K701 and the Q701, but I know I didn't like the K701 when I had it. Not sure if it was the amp...I didn't have the chance to try them on a different amp, but I wasn't a fan of the headphone. 

Oct 1, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #8 of 8
I realize that if you include the shipping, the Little Dot Mk.III is over $200.00 but I'd like to know what the differences are between the Mk.II and the Mk.III - Thanks! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back