Which to go for: Westone ES2, UE-10, UE-5, Ety, Sensaphonics
Sep 5, 2005 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

eeyssjr

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I've gone through many posts to make a decision, still unsure.

Mainly for portable use, with i-aduio X5, but also to switch them to a home hifi now and then. So an all round earphone.

Am i right in thinking that ety's have pretty much been surpassed now by the others? I'm certainly up for a custom fit earphone.

If so, then should i go for Westone ES2 (i head ES3 not suitable due to humped response) - or UE-10, or UE-5 (which are supposed to be better for portable use over the UE-10?)

Are the sensa softs worth going for over any of these.

I'm lookingfor a top product that will last ages without me needing to upgrade. All of these are very expensive!

Some guidance appreciated.

Thanks

Sep 5, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 17
Hi, I am in the same league as you. I am currrently looking for a custom mold as well.

However, after reading reviews over and over, I know it really comes down to the sound signature. At these price range, there is no clear cut as which is better. It really comes down to what kind of sound you like.

Therefore, if you can provide what kind of sound signature you like or what kind of music you like, I pretty sure people here can better match you an IEM that suits you.

However, at this moment, if I am going to get one, I am leaning towards UE10 or UE5 because of the customer service.

Sep 5, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 17
There are a lot of threads about these various products, especially the UE10-Pro and Sensa 2X-S. Not as much seems to be known (among the Head-fi loyalists) about the UE-5 or the Westone products. Digihead has (or at least had at one pont) the UE10-Pro, Sensa 2S-X and Westone ES3, and prefers the Westone (or at least seems to favor them mostly, although he sees strengths in the others as well). A lot of it (for Digihead and others) comes down to getting the proper fitting so that the IEM is extremely comfortable and has a proper seal. In other words, someone who never gets the UE-10 Pros to fit just right may end up giving up and on them and preferring the Sensas; others will have just the opposite reaction and give up on the Sensas if they don't fit right.

So my advice is that since very few people have personally experienced more than one of the 4 or 5 IEM's that you've mentioned, and since fit issues weigh heavily on the observations that they are able to offer, and since your musical tastes and system components will differ from their's, you really have to realize that it's more or less a shot in the dark! Sad, but true. I've said on other UE versus Sensa threads that if I had to do it all over again, I'd just flip a coin. IMO, it's really that close. But my opinion comes from being a very satisfied UE10-Pro owner, plus having read the comments from many very satisfied Sensa owners and a couple of very satisfied Westone owners. Almost without exception, the people who have been unhappy with any of these products have complained mostly about fit and customer service issues. And even when it comes to fit and customer service, I've seen good and bad about both Sensa and UE (not as much about Westone because they are relatively unknown among head-fiers).

So... read all of the threads and see if they point you in one direction or another, and then make the best decision you can based on imperfect information. If you get a good fit, you will be happy with any of them.

Sep 5, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #4 of 17
I use the ES2's together with a M3L on a daily basis, before I had the UM2's and though those ES2's are a lot of money they are worth it IMHO. I have never heard the UE5 or UE10's but I have had some minor league IEM's (E2, E3) and these (ES2) are by far the best. I didn't go for ther ES3 because of the bumb in the mid frequencies.

Sep 5, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #5 of 17
Hi,

I've yet to hear of anyone who has a serious criticism of Ultimate Ears with regard to service. They have gone to extreme lengths to satisfy problems, most of these being down to getting the ear moulds correct in the first place.

When Head Fiers originaly started to use UE's there was a problem with the soft option. UE replaced these and dropped this option for domestic users.

My own experiences with UE have been excellent.

Regards

John

Sep 5, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
There are a lot of threads about these various products, especially the UE10-Pro and Sensa 2X-S. Not as much seems to be known (among the Head-fi loyalists) about the UE-5 or the Westone products. Digihead has (or at least had at one pont) the UE10-Pro, Sensa 2S-X and Westone ES3, and prefers the Westone (or at least seems to favor them mostly, although he sees strengths in the others as well). A lot of it (for Digihead and others) comes down to getting the proper fitting so that the IEM is extremely comfortable and has a proper seal. In other words, someone who never gets the UE-10 Pros to fit just right may end up giving up and on them and preferring the Sensas; others will have just the opposite reaction and give up on the Sensas if they don't fit right.

So my advice is that since very few people have personally experienced more than one of the 4 or 5 IEM's that you've mentioned, and since fit issues weigh heavily on the observations that they are able to offer, and since your musical tastes and system components will differ from their's, you really have to realize that it's more or less a shot in the dark! Sad, but true. I've said on other UE versus Sensa threads that if I had to do it all over again, I'd just flip a coin. IMO, it's really that close. But my opinion comes from being a very satisfied UE10-Pro owner, plus having read the comments from many very satisfied Sensa owners and a couple of very satisfied Westone owners. Almost without exception, the people who have been unhappy with any of these products have complained mostly about fit and customer service issues. And even when it comes to fit and customer service, I've seen good and bad about both Sensa and UE (not as much about Westone because they are relatively unknown among head-fiers).

So... read all of the threads and see if they point you in one direction or another, and then make the best decision you can based on imperfect information. If you get a good fit, you will be happy with any of them.

Hear, hear...couldn't have said it better myself. My IEM experience overall has been a complete nightmare. I of course am thankfully the exception to the rule. To me, the best piece of advice I could give to anyone is to go with the company where you can get the best fit experience. By that I mean if I were in Chicago, I'd go with Sensa, LA Ultimate Ears, etc. Aside from that, I know there have been some members here who used the Sensa Labs in the UK and were very satisfied. Knowing this, Sensa would be my recommendation. Aside from that, I love my Westones and listen to them everyday. The UEs and the Sensas never fit properly for me, unlike the Westones which got it right on the first try. Same audiologist, same mold process, etc. I think I have had a total of six sets of molds made over the course of time. No matter what the Sensas or the UEs might sound like, I would always pick up the Westones, simply because they fit me the best.

Rest assured, the differences in sound are really small. Any of these IEMs at a certain point all sound incredible. An example is one member here who has both the Sensas and the UEs and switched back and forth many times over which one they preferred more. Ultimately I think it could be called a toss up.

One other point to note, it does seem that some people here have had technical issues with the Sensas shorting out. Seems to happen after the six month mark (warranty expires) as well.

As far as UEs service goes, they had their moments of being greaqt and had their moments of not being so great. Overall they were better to deal with than Sensaphonics. I think at a certain point with UE, I got caught with them at a time when they were switching lead lab techs and that caused them to drop the ball a bit.

Sep 5, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 17
All, thank you very much indeed for you help and advice.

I think the reason its hard to get a good idea what to for from the various postings is that all of them are very good.

for me, it mainly a toss up between the Westone ES2 and UE5 (i can't justify the extra expense of the UE10 over the westone going by what has been said here).

Possibly the sensaphonics, i will need to look in to them. The warranty/shorting problem mentioned is certainly a concern.

I'm thinking a stab in the dark for Westone ES2.

When you say there is not alot in it between the phones, would you say that is the case between Westone ES2 and UE10? ie.e these are generally equal calbre IEM?

Sep 5, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #8 of 17
Hi eeyssjr,

Since you are from London I'd suggest checking out ACS Hearing Protection in Harpenden. I got my 2X-S there and recommend these guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2005 at 9:43 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by eeyssjr
How much did they charge you for the 2X-S?

Are you happy with them?

They charged 499 pounds and yes, I am big time happy
evil_smiley.gif

If you mention my name to them (Greg from Poland will be enough) and that you got the info from me then maybe you'll have them at a slightly lower price
biggrin.gif
(at least the price for taking molds should be excluded). If I were you I wouldn't hesitate- you won't find such professional technicians and audiologists anywhere in the world. It was them who trained the Sensaphonics people in the U.S.

You also have to bear in mind that what digihead said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead
One other point to note, it does seem that some people here have had technical issues with the Sensas shorting out. Seems to happen after the six month mark (warranty expires) as well.

But there is a 30-day remake policy and 1 year guarantee for Sensaphonics in ACS. I guess that time will show.

Sep 6, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by root
Hi eeyssjr,

Since you are from London I'd suggest checking out ACS Hearing Protection in Harpenden. I got my 2X-S there and recommend these guys
smily_headphones1.gif

I second that recommendation. I got my T2XS from Hearing Healthcare Protection and they were first class. Bob Bieny is the head man, and he is in close communication with Michael Santucci at Sensaphonics.

As has been said, ACS, who make the Sensas in the UK, trained some of the Sensa people in the US in the production technique.

Mention my name too and you might get a double discount
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Simon

Sep 6, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #14 of 17
Hi, guys, so I am in Canada BC. Which company do you guys recommand me to go for?
I am having hard time deciding a custom IEM too.

I know there are quite a lot of Sonus around me, so I am thinking UE. Please give me some suggestion.

Sep 7, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
Hi, guys, so I am in Canada BC. Which company do you guys recommand me to go for?
I am having hard time deciding a custom IEM too.

I know there are quite a lot of Sonus around me, so I am thinking UE. Please give me some suggestion.

Two thumbs up for UE customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back