Which soldering ion has the longest longevity?
Jul 9, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #31 of 40
@ royalcrown

How do you clean your tip? When I used a Radio Shack iron and cleaning with a damp sponge, the tips didn't last any time at all. I think that's what led to the tips premature death. At least for me.

I switched over to a knock off Hakko soldering station and at the same time started using brass wool to clean my tip. I wonder if the Radios Shack tips might last longer using brass wool to clean them.

Edit: I've had good luck w/the Aoyue 936 since I got it.

Jul 9, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for the 936. It will make DIY so much more enjoyable.

That is absolutely true! My first CMoy was a nightmare with a Ratshack iron, but it worked perfectly almost instantly after I bought myself a Hakko 936!

Jul 9, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #33 of 40
x2 on the hakko 936 lol. changed my diy world. you have no idea what your missing until you try one, but just let me say its really worth the investment, and i highly doubt that YMMV

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #34 of 40
I have a cheap temp controlled station. The tip it came with had all sorts of problems, wouldn't tin properly and wore out very quickly - I almost threw the whole station out
frown.gif

I replaced the tip and it was all good. I didn't change anything that I was doing. My tip has lasted a couple of years, and quite a few hours of soldering.

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, I'm really surprised that so many people have had such terrible longevity problems with the Radioshack soldering irons. I have used one for about a year or so regularly, and I haven't replaced the tip yet - it still holds heat relatively well, and I might just get a new tip because they're 1.50, and I wouldn't mind paying that much to have one just for the sake of it. Granted, I have the 15 watt one, so the tip is much smaller than the stupidly large 30-watt ones; it resembles a generic one. I wouldn't say it's an outstanding iron, and I've had experience on 200+ dollar stations at school that kicked its ass, but I wouldn't call it bad by any means.

whooooooooaaaaa, you're really lucky. I thought the 15W version would make things better since it wouldn't heat up as much, but it died on me anyway. Luckily I found my grandpa had a weller wptcp (or however you spell the darn thing) soldering station (used to be physics teacher/repair radios & such) =) If you're looking for longevity in the actual soldering station, the weller wctptp is DEFINITELY your choice--mine was literally from the 70s or so, and it's working perfectly. I've heard similar stories elsewhere online. The temperature control mechanism (it's a weird magnetic/curie temperature regulations scheme--no electronics necessary) seems to be why the thing lasts so long. My other weller which I got from someone else has the digits in the LED display all screwed up, and it's only a couple of years old.

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #36 of 40
I am at a crossroad here. I have been looking at fleabay and deliberating between the
Weller WESD51D
& HAKKO 936. Overall price for either the Weller and Hakko (plus step-down transformer) works out reasonably close. I would jump on the Weller simply because it is digital and supposedly more upmarket, but I noticed tip availability is not as good as that for Hakkos. Maybe I am not looking at the right place (Fleabay) and maybe Hakko tips cost about the same as Weller's (is it?). What do you think? I am set on the initial cost (soldering station) but I am not so sure of the operating cost (i.e. which will be more expensive in the long run?).

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More accurately it is about ion tip (the ion itself is not a problem.)

I used Radioshack and Xytronic 25W ones, and the tips just die too fast.

I already used FIVE tips on a single project already (for yet another beta22.) When I just look at the tips I've used, I just feel ridiculous.

Filing off really does not solve this problem, since the tip eventually die even faster (since the coating is gone.)

I see Weller (I used this when I was young) and Hakko are mentioned in this forum. I just want to know which brand has the longest longevity. Thanks!

You can use sharpening stone (sand paper works too) to reshape the tips. I did that with low-end Weller tips. Until I have budget to replace with high-end soldering iron, I will keep the old soldering iron.

Jul 25, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #38 of 40
Buy yourself a used Metcal station from fleabay, I have one @ work that I have used daily for 10 years, nary a hitch. Plus, it is soooo comfy. Very worthwhile.

Jul 25, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #39 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am at a crossroad here. I have been looking at fleabay and deliberating between the
Weller WESD51D
& HAKKO 936. Overall price for either the Weller and Hakko (plus step-down transformer) works out reasonably close. I would jump on the Weller simply because it is digital and supposedly more upmarket, but I noticed tip availability is not as good as that for Hakkos. Maybe I am not looking at the right place (Fleabay) and maybe Hakko tips cost about the same as Weller's (is it?). What do you think? I am set on the initial cost (soldering station) but I am not so sure of the operating cost (i.e. which will be more expensive in the long run?).

I have a WESD51D, and I love it. I worked in electronics manufacturing for many years, so I've used every brand. I always liked the Wellers best, but most of the others work well too.

Maybe the availability in Australia is different then here in the US. There are plenty of places to order the Weller tips online, but I discovered that the Fry's Electronics down in Phoenix carries almost the entire product line of tips! I haven't found anyone local that carries them, but Flagstaff is a smallish town. Maybe you have a large electronics store nearby or in the closest big city? I had been wanting to order a finer tip for my Weller station, and I happened to go to Fry's to get a PC power supply and some memory. I always knew they sold electronics tools and components, but I had never bought any. I looked, and they had the tips I needed. woohoo!

FYI, I bought mine here
Weller WESD51 and WESD51PU Digital Soldering Station, Power Unit, Soldering Pencil, Stand, and Sponge - Test Equipment Depot
$130 is the best price I could find.

Jul 27, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #40 of 40
I've been using the cheapest radioshack soldering iron with its original tip for a while and shows no sign of near death, just don't leave it plugged in for over 20 min straight and clean it with a sponger every so often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back