Which soldering ion has the longest longevity?
Jul 5, 2008 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

wnmnkh

Headphoneus Supremus
More accurately it is about ion tip (the ion itself is not a problem.)

I used Radioshack and Xytronic 25W ones, and the tips just die too fast.

I already used FIVE tips on a single project already (for yet another beta22.) When I just look at the tips I've used, I just feel ridiculous.

Filing off really does not solve this problem, since the tip eventually die even faster (since the coating is gone.)

I see Weller (I used this when I was young) and Hakko are mentioned in this forum. I just want to know which brand has the longest longevity. Thanks!

Jul 5, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #3 of 40
If you're going through tips that fast, you're doing something wrong.

May i humbly suggest that if you are using a sponge to clean the tip frequently while you are working - which you should be doing - perhaps you should get a new sponge and wet it only with distilled water. Hard water can cause mineral buildup on the tip which can degrade the tinning.

You don't have to get a "for soldering irons" sponge. 3M 'Ocello' and other cellulose sponges from the grocery store work fine - but if they're damp when they come out of the package, run them through the laundry first because they are shipped wetted with some chemical that does not evaporate, so that they remain supple and squishy while on the shelf.

You can also give the tip a new surface fairly easily with a product like this one:

DealExtreme: $6.41 Solder Tip Refresher

I have that one, and it works well.

fwiw, i use a Weller WTCPN and the PT-series tip I'm using is about 3 years old. I use the same 700f tip for nearly everything i solder. I only recently decided to try refreshing the tip with the above product - which worked.

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 40
I agree. The tips shouldn't be wearing out that fast.
Also, I've heard these brass wool-type cleaners are better at prolonging tip life, as they don't cause the tip to constantly heat and cool (resulting in the metal expanding/contracting)

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. The tips shouldn't be wearing out that fast.
Also, I've heard these brass wool-type cleaners are better at prolonging tip life, as they don't cause the tip to constantly heat and cool (resulting in the metal expanding/contracting)

*shrug* soldering causes the tip to constantly heat and cool.

The laws of thermodynamics cause the tip to constantly heat and cool, at least, iin temperature-controlled tips it does.

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*shrug* soldering causes the tip to constantly heat and cool.

The laws of thermodynamics cause the tip to constantly heat and cool, at least, iin temperature-controlled tips it does.

Agreed that it was a bit of an extreme statement.
wink.gif
However, there's no question that using a brass-wool pad results in less cooling to the tip. So, those temperature swings are much smaller than with a sponge. There's got to be an advantage in limiting the corrosive effects of water, too. I use both, but the sponge is limited to only those infrequent occasions when the brass-wool doesn't quite get the tip clean enough.

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #7 of 40
I shattered a lot of iron tips until I stopped banging the iron against stuff to discard extra solder. Apparently the heating and cooling makes cheap tips brittle.

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #8 of 40
wnmnkh, get rid of your Ratshack iron and switch to a Hakko or Weller (with OEM tips of the appropriate size for the job) and you'll be much happier. Even a cheap Weller WLC100 station is worlds better than a Ratshack.

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #9 of 40
For my case, the tip became useless after approx. 12 hours of usage. I frequently clean the tip with sponge as well.

OK, I felt something was wrong as well; I suspect the sponge is the problem (I mean I can understand the Radioshack being sucking as hell, but even Xytronic one dies too fast....)

I will change the way to clean the tip, and I will see if this improves the longivity of my Xytronic ion tips.

Jul 5, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wnmnkh, get rid of your Ratshack iron and switch to a Hakko or Weller (with OEM tips of the appropriate size for the job) and you'll be much happier. Even a cheap Weller WLC100 station is worlds better than a Ratshack.

That's for sure. The ratshack iron is so poorly constructed that it self-destructs within a week.

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:20 AM Post #13 of 40
Some tips for prolonging your tip life:

Don't use a temperature higher than what you need. (If you have a choice of course.) Higher temps accelerate the formation of oxides on your tip which left unchecked will shorten tip life. I get away with using 320 deg C when soldering to a PCB, and I've rarely needed to go above 350.

Keep your tip clean. Use flux. The purpose of flux is to remove oxides from the surfaces to be soldered, which allows the solder to "wet" the surfaces. Similarly I use this tecnique to keep my tip nice and shiny. That said, I have a tin of a paste flux into which I can occasionally dip my iron tip into, add solder to the tip, then wipe off on my sponge. And when I'm done soldering, I add some extra solder to my tip before turning off the iron. This gets wiped off first thing when I use it the next time.

Don't over-wet your sponge. You want it to be moist, not half submerged in water. I don't know the reasons for this one, but I think it's to do with extreme thermal cycling of the tip. For that reason, at least one manufacturer I've seen has pushed the "metal shavings" sponge design as a good partner to lead-free processes because of the higher tip temps needed with lead-free solder.

Oh, and needless to say, try to use pure water for the sponge. I guess hard water has a lot more stuff in it that could crud up your tip. That said, I've been using hard water because I don't have a filter system installed.

Jul 5, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #15 of 40
To amplify FS2's advice, turn off, or at least down the temp, if the iron is not going to be used for several minutes. JBC solder stations do that automatically and the tips last forever. Also, leave a blob of solder on the tip when it is not in use: That protects the tip from oxidation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back