Which sleeve gives the best sound quality for Shure IEMs ?
May 8, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by GravY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are the ety's triples better than what came with my E500?

Ety triple compared to Shure's..

the Shure has a longer "stem" section which keeps most of the IEM's tube from entering the flange section unless you mod them, so this tends to have the IEM sticking a lot further out of my ear which kind of feels loose and prone to get bends in parts of the triple flange.

With the Ety it is completely missing this extra stem part and my E4 tube fits almost all the way to the end of the smallest flange. I back them out a bit because full insertion causes the flange to expand slightly which puts too much pressure on the smallest part of my ear canal.. the result is a more stiff laterally inflexible triple flange that can be easily inserted deep into the ear, E4 almost completely disappear. Other than that the Ety seem slightly higher quality overall.

May 9, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the Shure has a longer "stem" section which keeps most of the IEM's tube from entering the flange section unless you mod them, so this tends to have the IEM sticking a lot further out of my ear which kind of feels loose and prone to get bends in parts of the triple flange.

With the Ety it is completely missing this extra stem part and my E4 tube fits almost all the way to the end of the smallest flange. I back them out a bit because full insertion causes the flange to expand slightly which puts too much pressure on the smallest part of my ear canal.. the result is a more stiff laterally inflexible triple flange that can be easily inserted deep into the ear, E4 almost completely disappear. Other than that the Ety seem slightly higher quality overall.

do you have any problem say chewing gum or even having a small chat with them in? doing simple things like this and the bi's I had would unseal.. drives me nuts..

May 9, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I cut the stem to the point where it is lined up with the first flange. I also cut off the smallest flange. I havnt had a problem with unsealing or anything like that. This mod also is nice because it allows the e500 to really dissapear in your ear, with the long stem it sticks out of your ear like a twig.

May 9, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #20 of 35
Both with E4 and E530, while the flex sleeves and triple/bi flanges might offer more high frequencies, it also comes with some unwanted siblance. It just doesn't sound quite right. To my ears anyway.

Yellow and black foamies is the way to go.

May 9, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by GravY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you have any problem say chewing gum or even having a small chat with them in? doing simple things like this and the bi's I had would unseal.. drives me nuts..

for sure, eating or chewing gum is out for me with tri-flange. for short convos I just take them out because I cant hear well enough otherwise without pausing the music, this is my favorite part about tri-flange though as I can reinsert them in just a few seconds.

I agree single flange or foamies are the way to go if you will be eating or chewing gum with them in, though I do get a bit of a rustling sound with the blacks.

personally after going through every tip i've tried (all shure fit kit, shure tri, modded to bi, large black, medium black, then finally ety tri-flange) I am in love and no longer yearn for customs as I do not see how they could be any better with the same IEM.. the stem from the E4 sits literally millimeters away from the end of my ear canal, all other tips kind of point towards a wall in my ear and the sound has to take a turn to get the rest of the way.. this is my ears and experience only, everyone's are different
smily_headphones1.gif

I will add that I dont notice much of a difference in sound quality once a perfect seal has been achieved with any tip ive tried. for me it has been more about finding one that is easy to deal with, will keep a perfect seal while moving around, isolation and comfort. Foamies meet most of these criteria, but the fact they need to be rolled before inserting presents sanitary issues for me on the go.. along with the "holding time" waiting for them to expand makes me look even weirder than I normally do.

May 9, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #23 of 35
to mod for bi-flange most people cut off the smallest flange, you might want to also trim a little of the stem off the tri-flange at the bottom too. There shouldnt be any problem getting the IEM to fit inside, the only part that is too small to fit through is the tip of the smallest flange.

if you just want to trim the stem of the tri-flange to have the IEM fit deeper inside you probably want to leave a little stem left under the largest flange. The plastic part fits inside the smallest flange but it causes it to expand and it might become too big and stiff.

May 9, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already cut the largest flange since I have a small canal ear so they fit better now and sound quite good. I can feel the nozzle very close which gives me better SQ

cool, glad it worked out.

btw, Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

sorry about your wallet!
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 10, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #28 of 35
I like the triple-flange modified slightly. I trim the largest flange around in half and make it a 2-1/2 flange
tongue.gif
So easy to pop in and out and they stay sealed for as long as you have them in
biggrin.gif
I also trim the stalk to be flush with the largest flange before i trim the flange.

May 10, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #29 of 35
Uhhh... hmm...

I think it's a competition between the triple flange and foamies, sized accordingly.

That being said, your ear anatomy maybe absolutely perfect with rubber tips and nothing else stands up to it.

You have all the sleeves, tell yourself which sounds best. If I tell your this sounds better and you think it sounds better, it's called placebo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back