Which sleeve gives the best sound quality for Shure IEMs ?
May 8, 2007 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Bolardito

500+ Head-Fier
I recently just bought the Shure's E500 PTH. It is my first experience with high end IEMs so I was wondering which sleeves give the best sound quality. I have tried all of them but I'm still undecided between the PVC and the Triple Flange. I find the yellow foamie not as good on isolating but I don't know if Im not handling them well.

Appreciate your thoghts/ reviews of the different options

May 8, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 35
For me the foamies are the best. They're comfy and have a wider opening aswell so the sound doesn't get "strangled" as it can become with the grey rubber ones (or if you got bad luck, clogged with earwax
tongue.gif
).

My ears dont' go well in combination with the triple-flange ones, and the clear flex sleeves, the triple flange ones just get too deep inside and end up bending in some awkward way so the sound gets messed up. The clear flex ones simply hurt too much and are probably the most uncomfortable things ever created.

It all depends really, if I'm at work or some other situation where I'd have to be able to remove them qickly or put them in easily I take the grey rubber sleeves, they're easier to clean too. Long listening sessions are best with the foamies, more open sound, better quality, more comfortable.

May 8, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 35
I personally think that the triple flange sleeves are the best closely followed by the black foamies

May 8, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestSpecimen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally think that the triple flange sleeves are the best closely followed by the black foamies

Same here, I love the tri-flanges (I use the etys). That said, I can't stand the black foamies.

May 8, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #7 of 35
I've tried them all and my fav is by far Ety Triple Flange.. they are much trickier to get used to and insert properly though.. second best would be shure black foam.

May 8, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ymmv just play around with em and see which you like best

Seconded, everyone's ears are different. I use a clear medium for my left and a gray medium on my right.

Edit: I just tried using a large PVC (gray) piece on my left ear and it has a better seal and sounds more open. I'm glad I retried them again.

The foams are definitely good if you're going to listen for a long period of time but for short periods, it gets annoying to squeeze and fit them all over again.

May 8, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 35
2nd this one, I have tried them all and for fit and seal, the Black Foamies are the bomb.. pretty durable too, I am still on my first pair and they are in excellent shape, I wear mine about 3 hours a day and I got them a few months ago when they were first released

May 8, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #11 of 35
I don't think that the E500 comes with the black foamies. The new version of the E500 (simply repackaged as SE530) does come with them, as I understand.

Personally I am blown away by the black foamies, finding them far and away the best for comfort, and the sound is fine as far as I can tell. I just did a 6 hour redeye from SFO to Boston Logan with my UM2's and medium black foamies. Great sound and great isolation. (Mostly I snoozed just using the black foamies for their sound isolation).

Ok, so where do you get them? I like to buy stuff from www.earphonesolutions.com, because they carry everything it seems and know everything and are friendly too. You can also get it at the shure site, I suppose it's www.shure.com. Have not searched elsewhere.

IMPORTANT: Tip preference seems to be VERY personal and subjective While many of us love the black foamies, not all do as you can see on this thread. YMMV.

Art

May 8, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #13 of 35
With the e500, I find the Tri-Flange modded to a Bi-Flange provides the best SQ from the e500. It opens up the highs better than the foams, and I also like them for portabality reasons because they are faster to get in than the foamies due to the fact that you have to roll them up.

May 8, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 35
I liked the sounds of the triple modded to bi's but they came unsealed to easily.. I do agree that the foams drop the highs some and or the increase in bass pushes them back..

are the ety's triples better than what came with my E500?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back