Which Shure for iPhone
Sep 27, 2013 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DerStig

New Head-Fier
I need a bit of an advice. I just got my 5s and I need something better than my Bose mie2is. I have been doing some research and I narrowed it down to shure as 215 or 425. I am not a professional and my question is will I hear 3 times better using 425 over 215? 425 is a lot of money but I will pay it if I believe it's worth it.

I mainly listen pop and rock and bass is important for me.

Thanks

Sep 28, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #6 of 12
I've owned the Shure SE315, 425 and currently own the 535.  If you're looking for bass - the SE215 is the bassy one in the Shure line-up.  The 425 is quite flat / balanced - with a bit of roll-off in both sub-bass and upper treble.

You'd get the 425s if you like a very neutral frequency response with a slight emphasis on forward mid-range.  They are definitely not bassy though.

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #9 of 12
So between 215, 315, 425, and even the 535, the 215 is the bassy one? I thought 535 was the bassy.

There is big difference between quantity of bass and quality of bass. The 535 is not a bassy IEM but the texture and quality of the bass is vey good.

Again - for what you want - save yourself some money and go with the 215.

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #10 of 12
  The concept of you get what you paid doesn't apply in this case. I'm Telling you, get the se215, the vsonic gr07 bass edition could be also a good choice.
http://www.amazon.com/Edition-Dynamic-Isolation-Earphones-Earbuds/dp/B00ATWLG8Y

In any case: Feel free to spend your money the way you want!

How so? Look, I am not saying one way or the other, but you just keep coming back saying "get 215" and imply that I'll be wasting money with getting 425. Can you elaborate? Is it because I will use this mostly with iphone? Isn't the 320 kbps from Spotify good enough to utilize the 425? Or is it because of the genre I am mainly interested in.

Again, you may be right, it's just that when you say what you say the way you say it, it comes out wrong:)

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #11 of 12
I know I sound like an a**hole I admit, but you're not the only one asking the same question over and over again. Ultimately people end up buying what they think it's the best no matter the suggestion we offer. Search for iPhone 5 in head-fi and you will see how many threads are entirely dedicated to iPhone sound quality and headphones.

I read once an article and decided to keep it in my profile.

Quoted:

-"First off, I am going to reiterate a point which I have made in several other articles since many of our readers are not familiar with the audiophile world when it comes to sound quality. With high end audio equipment, the value per dollar greatly decreases as you go up the cost ladder. For example, a piece of audio equipment that costs twice as much may only sound slightly better. But this is what the audiophile world is all about. People spend big bucks on audio equipment to get ultimately great sound rather than spend less and maybe settle for only great sound. And remember, good sound quality is a very personal thing. If it sounds good to you, you have accomplished your goal, (but to be on the safe side, you might just consider avoiding listening to someone else’s audiophile setup)."

- "...I've learned that once you get up to a certain level in the audiophile headphone world, one headphone is not necessarily better than another"....

Copyright © 2009 Bill K and Listening Station

The se425 has an analytical balance. It means it won't sound better or nicer with any specific genre. What you're looking for (without knowing it) are fun headphones. With a bit stronger bass and at the same time decent mids and treble giving you a pleasant experience. The general consensus in this forum for a good value/sound quality are the 215. I had them and I can say they sounded nice.

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #12 of 12
I am actually back to square one after reading the reviews of the iphone cable that shure sells. One thing I have noticed is that all the reviews and the features of the shure earbuds become irrelevant once you add the iphone cable to the mix. You see, I will never use the stock cable with 215s (or 425 if I get that one). A lot of people complain about the quality of the iphone cable but more importantly, the part that worries me, is that the iphone cable apparently does not have that part that lets the cable stay above your ears. That's terrible. And I also feel like I am paying $50 just to be able to use a $100 IEM. It's sort of a rip off (but I'd be fine with the rip-off if the cable actually had good reviews).

I have done some research and saw that klipsch x10 is also decent, but then I read that that IEM has its own quality issues and a lot of people ended up with broken ones after a few months of use.

I hate it when I have to make a decision and pick the best of the worst. Is there a good "iphone" IEM that matches and/or exceeds the quality of shure 215s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back