Which preamp/dac and speaker should i go for?
Oct 30, 2012 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cyyoung749

New Head-Fier
Im really a newbie to pcfi and i actually did alot of research but its really hard to find the right pcfi for the buck with little knowledge. My budget is about $2000 dollars and some one suggest me this devices.
kef x10 speakers with onkyo a-9070 Is this a good combination?
Before suggestion I came with DYNAUDIO MC15 with CAMBRIDGE DACMAGIC PLUS but the user said cambridge dacmagic plus will not perfom dynaudio mc 15 speakers to the maximum performance. He actually recommended other preamp/dac devices but it will go beyond my budget So guys which devies should i go for?

Oct 30, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 10
A lot depends on how you plan to play your ripped music files.  The Onkyo has great specs and is a very solid choice but it lacks a usb input.  If you plan on playing your music by attaching a computer directly to the amp, having a usb input is probably the way to go (some computers have digital outs but all have usb ports).  This one from NAD will do the trick and runs around $200 less than the Onkyo: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAC356DAC.  The point is that there are lot of options but you need to think about connections.

Also you may want to spend less of your budget on the amp and dac and more on the speakers.  That is what I would do.

There are tons of speakers to choose from; I'm partial to PSB speakers.  You need to go out and listen to many as possible.  No one can tell you what will sound good to your ears.  

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
Im really a newbie to pcfi and i actually did alot of research but its really hard to find the right pcfi for the buck with little knowledge. My budget is about $2000 dollars and some one suggest me this devices.
kef x10 speakers with onkyo a-9070 Is this a good combination?
Before suggestion I came with DYNAUDIO MC15 with CAMBRIDGE DACMAGIC PLUS but the user said cambridge dacmagic plus will not perfom dynaudio mc 15 speakers to the maximum performance. He actually recommended other preamp/dac devices but it will go beyond my budget So guys which devices should i go for?

You might find some really good advice on Head-fi for your Home audio needs.
Maybe also try posting your questions on the web sites AVSforum and AVforum.

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 10
What kind of music do you listen to? Bookshelf speakers generally won't have the really deep bass for EDM, hip hop, and rap. For instance those X10s have a 63hz -3db point. You might need to factor a sub into your budget.

I also agree with the other suggestion. Put most of your money into speakers, not so much into electronics.

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 10
I listen to all types of music hip pop,classic,pop, dance music,jazz almost all generes. How about B&w cm1 speakers with nadc356 dac? I think this combinations looks pretty good for my budget.
Thank you for your reply!

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #10 of 10
There's lot of good ways to go.  I tend to lean towards a separate dac and amp like you suggested as that way you can upgrade the dac without having to upgrade the amp as well.  If you are going separates, you might want to take a look at the outlaw 2150 stereo receiver.  It has a usb input which, frankly, is not all that great but the receiver itself is outstanding.  Insofar as the speakers are concerned, if you have listened to them and you like them, you should get them.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back