Which portable player for winter use (inside a coat pocket or carrying bag)?
Dec 28, 2002 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
Oh, I'm confused.

Which of these portable players would be best for use inside a coat pocket or a carrying bag during wintertime listening? I currently own the following (I don't want to use any of my older players, since they're near the end of their usable lives):
  1. Panasonic SL-CT790 (PCDP)
  2. Sony D-EJ721 (PCDP)
  3. Sony D-EJ1000 (PCDP)
  4. Sony MZ-R500 (MD)
Or should I buy an MP3/CD player? Or a higher-end, more 'ruggedized' MD recorder/player?

And also, should I use an amp at all? Or keep using my Total Airhead?

Eagle_Driver
confused.gif

EDIT: Keep in mind that I'll listen to music as I'm walking or running. So please, no HD-based MP3 players (they're too delicate for such abuse).

Dec 28, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 6
Since the Sony MZ-R500 is discontinued and reportedly selling for really cheap when found new, I recommend that you use the "bujeezus" out of it, along with your favorite portable can. It is small enough that you will never have to ask yourself if the extra size/weight is worth it to carry. Probably better sound than your full-size players (unamped) too. The beauty of MD!

Dec 28, 2002 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 6
Good idea, but I don't have a favorite portable headphone at the moment. For one, the headphones that I'll be using MUST cover the ENTIRE ear (even if it means that the cans are WAY bigger than the unit itself); secondly, all of the portable cans that I own fall far short of my criteria (they either leave my ears almost completely unprotected against the cold or sound like crap).

Dec 30, 2002 at 6:38 AM Post #5 of 6
I'm confused, Eagle--what do you think are the criteria for a winter portable player? I don't see anything wrong with any of the players you listed.
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 17, 2003 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 6
Today I ended up going to the Sony Gallery store on Chicago's Magnificent Mile, and bought myself a black/red Sony MZ-N707 NetMD recorder/player. The MZ-N707 also comes in blue/silver (which, BTW, is sold at almost every superstore that I shop at frequently). Besides the Sony Gallery, the only place where I've seen the black/red MZ-N707 sold at is CompUSA.

I had considered the MZ-N505 - but I've decided that I would get more use out of the higher-end model. And most superstores sell the N505 in gold, but it's also available in silver (CompUSA sells the N505 in silver, and Best Buy and Circuit City sell the N505 only in gold - Tweeter, though they carry the N707 only in blue/silver, actually stock the N505 in both gold and silver.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back