Which Porcupine Tree \ Steven Wilson Album?
Nov 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #16 of 44
Nov 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #18 of 44
Agreed he was probably forced to by his record company. He made up for it with the DVD-A release which is simply stunning compared to the compressed version.

Only problem with the DVD-A is that my friends will not be able to easily rip it to their DAPs.
The DVD-A will have to be for me I think :)

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #19 of 44
Only problem with the DVD-A is that my friends will not be able to easily rip it to their DAPs.
The DVD-A will have to be for me I think :)

Perfect. You buy them the album then say your so sorry they cannot rip it so you will take it off their hands. Win win they kind of get a gift but you end up with the DVD.

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #21 of 44
PT now have the uncompressed version of Deadwing available as a FLAC download.

I might just setup some individual accounts - buy that version, and send them the download links... a hell of lot cheaper than the DVD-A

wink_face.gif

Dec 4, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #22 of 44
Where did you buy the uncompressed Deadwing FLAC?

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #24 of 44
Cool!  Thank you!

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #25 of 44
I...I can't decide.  The first one that I heard and fell in love with was In Absentia. I might need to vote that just because of Trains.  They're all absolutely fantastic though o_o I own all the deluxe album versions that he released except for his first solo one. =( I missed that somehow.  

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #26 of 44
  I...I can't decide.  The first one that I heard and fell in love with was In Absentia. I might need to vote that just because of Trains.  They're all absolutely fantastic though o_o I own all the deluxe album versions that he released except for his first solo one. =( I missed that somehow.  

Yes I was struggling as to which one....been playing them back to back trying to decide. I think it will be Deadwing though, as it seems more "newbie" friendly....and is a good price for the uncompressed download.... in case SW\PT is not for them.

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #27 of 44
I can see Deadwing being more newb friendly if they're into metal. I think I'd take Fear of a Blank Planet over Deadwing though.  It's a stronger release IMO.  I just got my pair of LCD2s tonight and Trains just started playing.  My god.. 

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #28 of 44
  I can see Deadwing being more newb friendly if they're into metal. I think I'd take Fear of a Blank Planet over Deadwing though.  It's a stronger release IMO.  I just got my pair of LCD2s tonight and Trains just started playing.  My god.. 

mmm... now I'm starting to doubt my choice.....think I need to listen to both back to back again....

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #29 of 44
My vote goes for In Absentia

I got started with Deadwing back in 2008, when I got the DVD-A shipped by mistake. I kept it, popped it into the DVD-A player in my car and the 5.1 mix blew me away.   There was no going back - today I listen to the whole PT catalog + Steven Wilson's catalog almost on a daily basis.

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #30 of 44
  My vote goes for In Absentia

I got started with Deadwing back in 2008, when I got the DVD-A shipped by mistake. I kept it, popped it into the DVD-A player in my car and the 5.1 mix blew me away.   There was no going back - today I listen to the whole PT catalog + Steven Wilson's catalog almost on a daily basis.

Although In Absentia is one of my favourites, I'm not sure its for a newbie to PT\SW or even Prog. I need the album they'll most likely enjoy and open the door to exploring more PT\SW. So, I'm going to back to back Deadwing and Fear of and decide soon...

ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back