Which Porcupine Tree \ Steven Wilson Album?
Nov 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

kryten123

500+ Head-Fier
I'm planning on getting a single Porcupine Tree or Steven Wilson album for some friends for Xmas.
Which album would you choose to introduce someone to Steven Wilson's work?
Which would you choose as the most accessible for a PT\SW "newbie"?

If you want me to add another album to the list, let me know and I'll add it to the poll

Cheers guys

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #2 of 44
Deadwing is most accessible/catchy IMO. However, a true friend would gift all their CD's

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 44
  ....However, a true friend would gift all their CD's

lmao

I think I am starting agree about Deadwing. I've been going through all those albums today trying to decide.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 44
  I'm planning on getting a single Porcupine Tree or Steven Wilson album for some friends for Xmas.
Which album would you choose to introduce someone to Steven Wilson's work?
Which would you choose as the most accessible for a PT\SW "newbie"?

If you want me to add another album to the list, let me know and I'll add it to the POLL ABOVE

Cheers guys

Nov 16, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #5 of 44

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 44
  Ahh, I despise Steven Wilson for his work with Opeth. Their work became so fluffy once he got involved. Long gone are the days of Still Life.

Not sure how much influence SW has had on the direction Opeth have taken. I'm fairly sure they changed their sound long before Akerfeltds collaboration on Storm Corrosion.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure how much influence SW has had on the direction Opeth have taken. I'm fairly sure they changed their sound long before Akerfeltds collaboration on Storm Corrosion.

Well Steven Wilson produced Deliverance and Damnation. Not really a fan of most of Mr. Wilson's work, but of the Opeth albums I've heard, Damnation is probably my second favorite at the moment. It took time to grow on me, though.

To respond to the question in the thread's title, In Absentia is the only Porcupine Tree album of the ones I've heard that I can say I like and the same can be said about The Raven That Refused to Sing (and Other Stories) when it comes to Steven Wilson's solo output, so those would be my two suggestion, although In Absentia is likely more accessible even if the mastering on the CD version at least is pretty darn loud by my standards.

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #10 of 44

Well Steven Wilson produced Deliverance and Damnation. Not really a fan of most of Mr. Wilson's work, but of the Opeth albums I've heard, Damnation is probably my second favorite at the moment. It took time to grow on me, though.

To respond to the question in the thread's title, In Absentia is the only Porcupine Tree album of the ones I've heard that I can say I like and the same can be said about The Raven That Refused to Sing (and Other Stories) when it comes to Steven Wilson's solo output, so those would be my two suggestion, although In Absentia is likely more accessible even if the mastering on the CD version at least is pretty darn loud by my standards.

I didnt know that - I stand corrected.

Although I like In Absentia, I don't know if its the most accessible for a newbie....mmmmm.....guess I'll have to give it and Deadwing another outing today. 
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 22, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #12 of 44
  WOW I just bought The Raven That Refused to Sing FLAC and it sounds so good. Beautifully mastered.

The album wasn't mastered at all. It's simply a flat transfer of the final mix.

Nov 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #14 of 44
No question go with Deadwing but make sure you get the DVD-A version. The original CD is heavily dynamically compressed while the DVD-A is not. The volume difference is quite large from my RSA Protector it is a 3+ position swing on the pot from the original CD to the DVD-A version.

With guest musicians like Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth and Adrian Belew from King Crimson, Deadwing is the magnum opus of Porcupine Tree.

Nov 22, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #15 of 44

Good to know. Still sounds good to my ears.

Well it was recorded by the esteemed Alan Parsons, who is famous for his work on The Dark Side of the Moon, and mixed by Steven Wilson himself who considers that to be the trade he is most proficient at out of the things he does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back