Which plays the greatest roll in sound quality, you rank
Oct 12, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #76 of 120

Quote:
MacedonianHero wrote:

Oh I'm here....trust me.
wink_face.gif

Okay, then prove Canada exists.

rolleyes.gif

listening to a poorly ripped ABBA album.

ABBA? LOL...there's your proof...you don't exist.

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #77 of 120
ABBA? LOL...there's your proof...you don't exist.

And I'm having a good time not being here.

ksc75smile.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #80 of 120

This is the best post I have read in a very long time. In many ways it's absolutely true. But if it were 100% true then there would be no need for a headfi. If brain burn in were all that was needed for every listener to be completely satisfied we would all just use Coby Walkmans or iPods with stock earbuds. But I totally agree that the person with the most elegant and expensive system is not necesarilly getting more out of their music than someone who has an adequate system. Like you say in other words...most of the experience is about what you bring to it

(Shhh - keep this quiet. Audiophilia has a lot more to do with fashion than science. Don't say much, though, since some people get upset if you refer to their jewelry as jewelry.)

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #81 of 120
Isn't that what it's all about...having a good time!

I'd have to say, absolutely, to your above.

Oct 15, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #82 of 120
Hi Folks;

With respect David;

I think a persons hearing is moot. Suppose I was at the orig recording..listened attentively..helped record it( all hypothetical of course) find the recording is exactly like the recording session..and you do not...what now?

Baz

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #84 of 120
I know from experience that there are many people who can hear much more from a cheap boombox than I could from a Meridian 808.3--> B52-->HD800s balanced. That being said, if you replace the Meridian with an EMU 0202, the B52 with a C-moy, or the HD800s with some Skullcandies, those same people would still be able to hear the music in a way that is simply beyond me which was my original point to begin with. D'oh!

Oct 31, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #88 of 120
to start im gonna say that i think that your hearing and the recording quality are relevant at all, neither is something that you can change. the goal shouldnt be to tell people to listen to different music to get better music quality, it should be to help them get the most accurate reproduction of what they want to listen to.

with that in mind my ranking

Transducer >>>>>>>>>>amp>source>>>>>>>>>>>>>cables

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #89 of 120
Which plays the greatest role? Which-ever part is weakest or most variable (depending on perspective).

I have a chain 10 links long: Which link is the most important for determining what the chain can hold?

That said: Your hearing, while signifigant, isn't variable. So I'll remove that from my response.
The amplifier needs to be sufficient to drive the load, but that's easily achieved and so only an issue if the system is badly chosen.
The interconnects too need only be sufficient to carry the electrical waveform, and so only a problem if defective.
The source media was once a problem: but CDs don't (FAIAP) degrade, contain information above the threshold of hearing, and the power available for DACs is sufficient that all properly built ones should be indistinguishable.

So we are left with three things:
The quality of the original recording.
The quality of the transducer (speaker(s)).
The listening environment.

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #90 of 120
Folks, there are no components which play a greater role. The least, as well as the most distinguished are all important. If this were not so the questionable component would not be necessary. Components which can effect the sound the most are those which allow for user control of the sound, like volume and tone. It's just a silly question. If the question is taken as what component can make the system sound better, the answer is obvious, any. If the question is which component will have the most effect on making what we hear sound noticeably better or worse, it would be the one identified as sounding better or worse when substituting one for another. When I insert my mini headphone jack into my computer's sound card and listen to music from my JBL L100t3's it sounds better than listening to the same music with the speakers from the computer. When I listen to vinyl from my Sony PS-4750 with ShureV15vMR it sounds better than when listening to the same music with a ShureV15 3 plugged into the tonearm. Some upgrades, like mentioned, are obvious improvements. You should have fun auditioning, and when possible make the substitutions in your own listening environment. For most of us these days that's not possible. But, even without audition whatever you purchase is likely to yield a very pleasant experience. Just look at where we've come in the last 50 years. From AM transistor radios that we enjoyed then, but think sound awful today, now, to iPods with ear buds which can sound spectacular compared to the transistor AM radio. Thing is, most anything out there now using today's affordable technology will sound great unless we get anal about it. And, breakthroughs in perception technology will make our listening illusions even better tomorrow. Check your perspective on it  all. Think about it. Today's state-of-the-art $60,000 mono amps will be tomorrows yard sale junk. Imagine, these audiophile monstrosities will be replaced with affordable technology, just as they have always been. The point is ya buy what you can afford and accept it. In the category of what you can afford it's all gonna sound the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back