Which planar headphones has the best bass slam?
Jul 23, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #62 of 71
Of all the ones I’ve owned, it’s the LCD-4z. I’ve had the 2, 3, as well as the EL8 from them, as well I have the Diana v2, and of those it’s definitely the 4z (that said they’re all incredible in the slam department)

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #63 of 71
well i just broke my beloved LCD-2s so im now looking to see if anything else will match up before i just whack out on a new pair, i dont think i can quite justify the price of the 4s as even used theyre like 4x the price of a pair of used LCD-2s especially given that im not that careful a person with my tech so i guess its another pair of 2s

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #64 of 71
well i just broke my beloved LCD-2s so im now looking to see if anything else will match up before i just whack out on a new pair, i dont think i can quite justify the price of the 4s as even used theyre like 4x the price of a pair of used LCD-2s especially given that im not that careful a person with my tech so i guess its another pair of 2s
Was that your driver on reddit?
A pair of 4z should be easy to find for around 2k USD, but... if you're going for price per performance, they arent _that_ much better than the 2 when it comes to slam. They're better but well into diminishing returns for sure.

Jul 28, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #65 of 71
it was indeed sadly, i think with my penchant for not taking the best of care with my tech and the fact that they will be very much my work headphones stretching to that sort of money wouldnt be wise and while i know looks shouldnt matter audio gear wise i did think the 4z seemed a huge aesthetic step down from the standard 4 which looked gorgeous (possibly my favorite in the line up, followed by the bamboo 2s i have and the old wood LCD-x closed) i know it was to save on weight but still

Sep 19, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #68 of 71
For me it's the Abyss which I idiotically sold. Nothing that I've heard comes even close to the bass speed/slam.

Dec 8, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #69 of 71
I only have one planar headphone, he-4xx, and a $20 headphone from Walmart has more bass. Nothing I've heard, sans a headphone with haptics, has come close to my old school Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro 250 ohm with Brainwavz XL pads.

I think a planar would have to be closed back and super huge to produce slam level bass.

Dec 12, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #71 of 71
Pads make a big difference in bass, I had my Audeze LCD-2 refurbed earlier this year, new fazor drivers, new 2023 leather pads..........the new pads were so thin that the fazor was pressing up again my ear and was very uncomfortable. I just yesterday put the thicker non-leather pads on the LCD-2 and holy crap. They actually seal properly and slam way harder. The bass is quite ridiculous using EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back