Which piece of equipment in your portable setup costed the most?
Feb 9, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #32 of 65
The RS-1.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #35 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder who voted interconnects...

beerchug.gif
x2 thats one hectic setup for sure if thats the most expensive component! either that or hes got some seriously cheap rubbish going on.
popcorn.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #38 of 65
My most expensive portable set up:

31oyw5K53aL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I have a slight channel imbalance problem though, because I can only carry it on one shoulder:

bxp143964.jpg

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #39 of 65
^^ lol

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #41 of 65
The basic recommendation for just about forever is to spend 80% of your budget on speakers and the rest on everything else, and while that formula may not always work out with IEMs the basic truth behind the advice hasn't changed. Buy the very best speakers/headphones/IEMs you can afford and spend what's left over on the source.

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #43 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The basic recommendation for just about forever is to spend 80% of your budget on speakers and the rest on everything else, and while that formula may not always work out with IEMs the basic truth behind the advice hasn't changed. Buy the very best speakers/headphones/IEMs you can afford and spend what's left over on the source.

I don't agree with this at all. What's the sense of having a gorgeous house with all of the amenities, if it is built on a foundation of mud and wood shavings?

UE-11's out of a cheap source, is still going to sound worse than a mid end pair of headphones out of a mid end source.

Hence the expression, garbage in/garbage out.

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #44 of 65
RSA P-51 Mustang
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Feb 10, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #45 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't agree with this at all. What's the sense of having a gorgeous house with all of the amenities, if it is built on a foundation of mud and wood shavings?

UE-11's out of a cheap source, is still going to sound worse than a mid end pair of headphones out of a mid end source.

Actually I think it's even truer today than in the past since sources now are really very little different from one another compared to times gone by. Decades ago (age of LP's and cassettes) source quality could vary dramatically but in today's digital world, well, just about everything is +/- 0.5 dB 20-20,000 hz, .005% THD, and a SNR above 80+ dB, with zero wow/flutter... specs only dreamed of a short while ago. It's kind of funny how desperate people these days are to try to hear differences, trying to pick apart one DAC from another, etc.

Anyway, obviously if the source is somehow badly deficient in one way or the other that would skew results but otherwise by far the biggest differences these days are heard in the choice of headphone/IEM. The advice to spend your money there first has never been more correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back