Which phone would you keep?
May 23, 2004 at 9:01 AM Post #46 of 50
HD 650 for home use. It's just the perfect headphone for all music genres to me -- great detail in an unobtrusive manner, low coloration and nevertheless high musicality.

ER-4X: the portable equivalent to the HD 650. It perfectly offers what I tried to get in the past with a portable electrostatic setup (without success) in a miniaturized size -- now even better with a passive 7-kHz EQ.

If I had to, I could live without my two electrostats, the HD 600, the DT 880, the SR-225/-80, the PX 100 (barely use them anyway now), but would have troubles renouncing the PX-200 and the PortaPro as portable alternatives.

peacesign.gif

May 23, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #47 of 50
A pair of stock Walkman headphones/Street Styles and a pair of v-crap...
very_evil_smiley.gif

j/k j/k j/k... Seriously, it's a tough choice between the AKG K240S, the Sennheiser HD 600/Cardas cable, and the Grado SR-225. Also, for portable use, I have a tough time deciding between the Koss KSC-35, KSC-55 and Porta Pro and the Sennheiser PX 100. My Ety ER-4S has not been getting much use of late, because I cannot have extreme isolation when I commute (my bus rides, if any, are too short to warrant the Etys -- in fact, so short that I ride a bike most of the time).

But given my mediocre home sources (except for my turntable), I would go with the K240S for home use and the PX 100 for portable use. I would have kept the Porta Pro if I have never extensively listened to the PX 100 -- but the grainy highs on the Porta Pro have relegated the Koss to backup duty.

I have found all of my earclip and "behind-the-neck" headphones a bit uncomfortable for any extended listening.

However, if I had at least $5,000 per component, and spent accordingly, then it would have been the HD 600/Cardas instead of the K240S.

May 24, 2004 at 12:31 PM Post #48 of 50
I'd keep the SR225s. I prefer the detail over the HD580s and I prefer the comfort over the E3cs. Of course, I'd give the 580s to my wife and I'd give the E3c's to my kids, and I'd borrow both frequently. :wink:

May 24, 2004 at 1:00 PM Post #49 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by swalker
I respectfully disagree with Bangraman's opinion on the Etys and would pick the Etys anyday over any headphones I've heard so far if I have to choose just one pair of headphones to live with.

I totally agree with you; I would choose my Etymotic ER-4S.
Nothing beats its detail, resolution, and clarity -- neutral, as well.

Scott

May 24, 2004 at 1:34 PM Post #50 of 50
I'd keep my Sony MDR-ED21LP since they are twin turbo and have bass boost - It says so on the packet. I'd get rid of my HFI-650's and ER4's. I'd then spend the money on rock concerts. So there!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back