Which phone would you keep?
May 22, 2004 at 8:05 AM Post #31 of 50
The K1000's are the easy choice. Can't live without them... (My precious .... droool .... Oops, sorry)

The second pair to keep however is more difficult...

If I was travelling a lot the HD25-1, would be a nice companions...

But since I'm not I think I'll keep the UFI-650's... The walls in this place are paper thin and they let a lot of noise through, so I would need some kind of closed phones, and they make decent travelling companions as well even if they do get hot. And besides I like them a lot and I use them just as much as I use the HD650s

/Q

May 22, 2004 at 9:44 AM Post #32 of 50
i only have two phones. the HD650 and Ety ER-4P. this would be a very hard thing for me to do. my head would probably explode from the tramatic experience in deciding to separate me from my Ety's. so i would keep the HD650's as they have the edge, but only the slightest hair thin amount of edge over the Ety's IMO. throughout all my previously owned headphones (6 others), the Ety's have been the only ones to stay for good. and that's saying a lot because i never have been as satisfied as soon after purchasing a headphone as i was and still am with the HD650's & Ety's. i know that if i had to give up my Ety's, i would be severely depressed for a long time as they are the absolute best way to listen to music on the go, no matter what source is being used. they can take a stressful day and turn it into a meditation-like experience on the way home riding BART.
biggrin.gif
it truely feels as if the music is somehow hard-wired to your brain! but the reasons as to why i give the edge to the 650's is because the cable is upgraded (which proved to make them sparkle even more so than they already were), and the fact that the 650's can obviously do bass a little better than the Ety's. never before have my ears tickled so much when hearing bass that reaches down to frequencies that every other headphone or speaker i've owned was incapable of reproducing!

don't ever ask this question again. i cringe at the thought of being forced to separate from one of my babies.
etysmile.gif

May 22, 2004 at 11:25 AM Post #35 of 50
in fact, the more i think about it, if i were faced to make a decision like this, i would do only one thing...
i would grab both headphones and run off into the sunset all while yelling, "NEVEEEEEEEER!"

May 22, 2004 at 1:21 PM Post #37 of 50
If I had to choose - I would definitely keep the E5 and HD590. The reasons would be simple. Both have a sound signature that I enjoy and they are flat out the most comfortable phones I have ever used.
smily_headphones1.gif

Left on the shelf would be a couple of pairs of PortaPros, a pair of A8s, an old pair of Koss headphones (sorry - don't know the number but I've had them forever), a pair of 4Ps, and multitudes of no-name crap that I have tried over the years or got with various players.
icon10.gif

May 22, 2004 at 1:39 PM Post #38 of 50
This one is going to be pretty simple for me, but if I didn't move to Japan and sell off my other phones the result would be the same. My choice is the MDR-V6.

Why? Well, the V6 (with Beyer pad mod) is just the most versatile phone that I've tried yet. If I had to limit myself down to just one phone, the V6 is the one that will fit the bill for most situations and niches that I use my other phones in. It folds and is portable enough to take places, and it's looks are respectable enough to wear in public without many awkward glances. It also isolates pretty well (so the EX70 can take a hike and I won't cry). With the Beyer mod, it's comfy enough to sleep with, or at least get drowsy with and flip off my head (so ksc-35 isn't completely necessary anymore). It's the phone I used for close detail-oriented listening, so for certain monitoring applications it was always the go-to phone of choice. For casual listening experiences, it's still acceptable enough to use against the HD600 and ATH-W1000 when I had them. And they run fine unamped.

This is why they are currently my go-to cans, and they will probably remain that way until I find the scratch and piece of mind to settle down in one place for awhile.

May 22, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #39 of 50
Hmmm... between my V600s and my HD570s, I would pick...the HD570s. Whew, that was a hard choice...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #40 of 50
Stax 303 - because I love the sound, the staging, and because they are the most versatile across the range of my musical tastes.

ATH-A900 - because they're so much fun, and they make me grin with the music gets raucous.

Losers?

Grado SR-125 - because the A900s do it as well and in greater comfort.

HD650 - because . . . had I never heard the Stax, these would be headphone heaven. Compared to my keepers, I find the sound "piped in" . . . But they do have that plush quality, and the bass weight. But the man said two!

BW

May 22, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #41 of 50
Stax 303 - sound.
Sennheiser HD280 - sometimes isolation is a nice thing to have.

And for the rest? My mother is nowadays quite happy with my HD600s. My Sony MDR-32s are collecting dust.

Regards,

L.

May 22, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #42 of 50
I'd keep my HD-650 and RS-1.

May 23, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #43 of 50
Hmmm..

Out of RS-1, HD600 (they are still going around in some USPS mail van..
rolleyes.gif
), and the Ety-4S.. I would say the RS-1, as only the RS-1 had the sort of sound I was looking for.. The Etys would probably come next, mostly for their suitability for portable and 'in-flight' uses. I find their sound lacking for home use (don't flame me.. I am just an innocent basshead
basshead.gif
), so RS-1 is going to be my home headphone choice.

The RS-1 is going to be a definite keeper...

May 23, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #44 of 50
I would definately keep the orpheus... oh wait, does it need to be a heaphone we actually HAVE?
icon10.gif

I guess I would keep my AKG K271S since it works well in all applications... I would miss my AKG K240S though
frown.gif

May 23, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #45 of 50
RS-1 for my home set up because it has good synergy with my current setup & it fullfills my requirements.

Ety ER4S for (trans)portable because so far no matter what I use it with I still enjoy it.

That could change should I try out (live with) other equipment I've never heard before but based on what I've already heard. I'm extremely happy with these. Should the need ever arise I know which ones will go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back