Which OS: XP with ASIO4ALL, Mac OSX, or Vista?
Jun 6, 2009 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
Via the USB output, which of the above would provide the cleanest, most unadulterated signal to an external DAC?

I know many of those who've built high-end computer as source rigs swear by Macbooks, but I want to know why. Are they really superior to any Windows alternative?

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 21
I think in terms of USB output, bit perfect is the farthest you can go in terms of sound quality. I'm not sure on this, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

In terms of interface though, I just did NOT like asio4all. The issue I have with it is that first, it's incompatible with DRM protected wma. Second, it craps up whenever you run two different sources of sound at once.

Jun 6, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by yourstruly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think in terms of USB output, bit perfect is the farthest you can go in terms of sound quality. I'm not sure on this, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It begs the question as to whether ASIO4ALL or Vista actually achieve bit-perfect consistently though.

I've heard alot of anecdotal claims that MAC sounds better than any Windows-based solution, so I want to find out if there's any truth behind this.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 21
I don't know if there are technical differences affecting sound, but a MacBook will be trouble and crash free with zero malware. Also, MacBooks hold value extremely well. You can sell it two years on and get plenty of money back.

You can also get highly stable performance running Ubuntu.

Jun 6, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 21
First choice = Vista WASAPI via coax/optical
2nd choice = Vista WASAPI via USB
3rd choice = everything else

Jun 6, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 21
speaking of using a DAC from usb. will changing your USB sampling rate to match the sampling rate of the data you are sending affect anything?

Jun 6, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #9 of 21
I don't own an Apple PC but I vastly prefer Xp over Vista/Win7 -the sound is too bright and bass is flat while on Xp the sound is magnificent.

Jun 6, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
speaking of using a DAC from usb. will changing your USB sampling rate to match the sampling rate of the data you are sending affect anything?

Upsampling affects it. Some prefer it, some don't.

Jun 6, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #11 of 21
I would base it off what you use as a player. iTunes in Mac OS seems to be better than Windows, but FooBar allows you to play FLAC, APE and other compressed lossless formats via Vista,XP, Linux (Wine) either with WASAPI or ASIO4All or however you choose to set up your rig. Also your choice of DAP may influence this. I prefer Vista and Linux. Due to software choices. I do love how iTunes organizes music though.

Jun 6, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #12 of 21
Vista audio is a massive improvement over XP. It can dynamically change the samplerate if you check the boxes as such and it has WASAPI. You can think of WASAPI as an officially supported ASIO, and there's an fb2k plugin supporting it.

Edit-

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, MacBooks hold value extremely well. You can sell it two years on and get plenty of money back.

Same goes for Thinkpads. Just check ebay. You'd be hard pressed to find a fully working T42, a 2004 model, for less than $250. As far as malware goes, I haven't had a computer virus since I was 7. Use the machine properly and you shouldn't even need an antivirus, although I run one just to catch possible malware on USB drives that might get plugged into my machines.

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, MacBooks hold value extremely well. You can sell it two years on and get plenty of money back.

Why is that? In my experience any sort of computer that's 2+ years old will have become basically obsolete, with little to no resale value. What makes macbooks different?

Quote:

Originally Posted by orcin
First choice = Vista WASAPI via coax/optical
2nd choice = Vista WASAPI via USB

I hadn't actually known about WASAPI until now. That looks good, a built-in natively supported ASIO4ALL equivalent. Has anyone tested to confirm that WASAPI set to 'exclusive mode' will effectively bypass any resampling/mixing/DSP effects that may be applied on the audio stream and provide bit-perfect output?

Quote:

Originally Posted by brotherlen
I would base it off what you use as a player. iTunes in Mac OS seems to be better than Windows, but FooBar allows you to play FLAC, APE and other compressed lossless formats via Vista,XP, Linux (Wine) either with WASAPI or ASIO4All or however you choose to set up your rig. Also your choice of DAP may influence this.

iTunes cannot play FLAC, can it? My music library is ripped exclusively to FLAC, and I'd prefer to keep it that way as my DAP, the Cowon S9 is a FLAC player also.

Are there any other music applications for Macs than iTunes, that do have support for the non-Apple codecs?

More to the point, there seems to be alot of knowledge about how the Windows audio architecture works and how to get a bit-perfect output on a Windows platform, but I haven't heard anyone talk about how Mac OSX or Linux handles audio. Do they just natively provide bit-perfect output on any application they run? I wouldn't think so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back