Which open phones?
Mar 12, 2007 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

redrich2000

Headphoneus Supremus
So here's the thing. I recently bought a Fubar II DAC to improve my computer setup and couldn't resist adding a Cute beyond amp, because who wouldn't!

My phones are Beyer DT-250s (250 ohm version) which need amping and sound great. However I'm feeling the urge to get some new open phones to take advantage of the new setup. I used to have some DT-880s and an M3 amp, but they were out in the lounge room and my partner understandably objected to using open phones. But in the study...

I found the DT-880s a little unengaging. I was thinking about getting some ATH-AD900s because they're available in my end of the world, have been very well reviewed and are considered more engaging/emotional than the DT-880s. What else should I consider in the same price range? I listen to a wide range of music, indie and post rock primarily.

Thanks

Mar 12, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 13
Indie and post-rock open dynamic, medium-high price range, and you find DT880 unengaging? Three stock answers: MS-2 (instead of an actual Grado as you need shipping to Australia), DT990 (definitely more engaging than the 880), or Goldring DR150 if you want to go a bit cheaper. HOWEVER, what will perform on a level with any of these options but cost far less is a Koss A250. I'm dead sure a WTB post at US $100 plus actual shipping will snare a pair in no time. Thank me later.

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #3 of 13
Had thought about MS-2s, but that would be an extra $100 I was hoping to keep it to AUD$300ish. Likewise with the DT-990s.

I had never heard of those Koss but am intrigued...

Mar 13, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #6 of 13
The Grado SR-225. I know prices are out of line there, but keep an eye on the For Sale Forum, Audiogon and eBay. They should be everything you're looking for.

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #7 of 13
If the MS2i is too expensive at the moment and the Grados are also generally unfortunately higher in price there as well, and if the FS forum doesn't workout, then perhaps the MS-1 would be one to consider. They're great without an amp, but even better with one. And the price is well within your budget.

They would be a good safe introduction to the Grado/Alessandro sound and be easy to sell if they don't work out, or, most likely, be easy to sell if the upgraditus bug bites!

Mar 13, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 13
Ultrasone 2500 if you can find one. Worth a try imo. I haven't found any music genre that I don't like on it.

Mar 13, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grado SR-225. I know prices are out of line there, but keep an eye on the For Sale Forum, Audiogon and eBay. They should be everything you're looking for.

I second Uncle Erik advice for the SR-225.

I find them very involving, right there in your face
rs1smile.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 13
Hmmm... I want something airy with big soundstage so its very different option to my DT-250s. My feeling is I want something in between DT-880s and SR-225s or MS-2s. That's why I was leaning towards the AD-900s.

I wish there was somewhere in Oz I could try them out.

Thanks for the opinions.

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #12 of 13
the 990 Pros is said to have recessed midrange... even more so than the 990 '05. so id suggest sticking with the '05.

i own the '05 and i pair it with the Cute Battery II. sounds awesome for almost any genre i throw at it. even metal (which is what i listen to the most). never tried it with the Beyond though. heck...ive never even seen the beyond up close and personal..only online pix so far heh heh heh.

ive tried the HD595s with this amp and its too bright with almost no bass. the HD650 wasnt enjoyable with this amp either. dont get me wrong... both the senns are good cans...theyre just not for me.

the DR150 suggested by facelvega is also a good can. id take them over any senn anytime. managed to very briefly audition them at a store once (NOT with my Cute amp) and i was very impressed.

anyway...since i own the 990 '05..my first vote goes to them
biggrin.gif

next would be the DR150.

i would love to suggest the Grado/Alessandro as well...but im not too sure what ur issues are with cans that sit ON the ear. personally.....me no like having things squishing me ear.

Mar 14, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mADmAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 990 Pros is said to have recessed midrange... even more so than the 990 '05. so id suggest sticking with the '05.

Could be, but I like mine and so could someone else. They sound fine with my X-Can V3 anyway. The mids are fine for my taste. It's all about your own preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back