which open headphone gives great bass as closed cans, or shall I buy closed headphones
Feb 5, 2014 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Sound Eq

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok I have the ATH m50 which are closed cans, and I don't know if buying another closed headphones will give me a wow factor that I never experienced before.

So to try something new, I am confused when I read about open cans that they lack bass compared to m50, which they say that m50 is bassy, while i find it not bassy at all, so do you think I will get disappointed by open cans.

I love bass but I am not a bashed, but bass is important to me, so which cans give great bass, smooth bass, and good treble

What I hate most in sound is the irritating mids when they sound ear piercing and the when the treble is too sharp.

I look for a headphones that just immerses me into music with warm and surround effect

what I hate about the m50 is the mids are too piercing, and while people say it has too much I find it not bassy at all sometimes wish i could have more bass to get the mids balanced 

I don't know if there is a description for 3d sound with warm signature and nice warm vocals but not to be thin

Also I don't know after I burned in my m50 i feel they lost their bass I don't know why

i wanted to buy the alpha dogs, but since there are people who say it lacks in bass I did not.

Maybe i will consider buying closed headphones if open cans can't give me what I want but honestly which headphone will make say wow that is a real change in sound compared to m50

i listen to synthpop, rock, melodic rock, pop. I find that most synth pop bands sound quality songs ( flac, mp3, etc ) somehow are not well recorded as well known artists, as those synthpop bands are not very well known so maybe they have access to lower quality recording studios. Bands I like, covenant, camouflage, clan of xymox ( who's songs I like but his quality recording suck big time even I own his cds which suck too in quality ), depeche mode I know why even the remastered cds I feel their sound quality is bad. 

Maybe to give you an idea I love a band called Deine Lakaien if you listen to a song called generator now he has deep vocals so I look for a headphone if I close my eyes I can feel all 3d elements in the sound

Money is not a problem its I am just confused what to buy open, closes headphones 

I know some will say if you want bass buy the beats as they are for bass heads but I tried them and they suck in mids.

I don't know maybe what I look for still does not exist?

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 30
  Ok I have the ATH m50 which are closed cans, and I don't know if buying another closed headphones will give me a wow factor that I never experienced before.

So to try something new, I am confused when I read about open cans that they lack bass compared to m50, which they say that m50 is bassy, while i find it not bassy at all, so do you think I will get disappointed by open cans.

I love bass but I am not a bashed, but bass is important to me, so which cans give great bass, smooth bass, and good treble

What I hate most in sound is the irritating mids when they sound ear piercing and the when the treble is too sharp.

I look for a headphones that just immerses me into music with warm and surround effect

what I hate about the m50 is the mids are too piercing, and while people say it has too much I find it not bassy at all sometimes wish i could have more bass to get the mids balanced 

I don't know if there is a description for 3d sound with warm signature and nice warm vocals but not to be thin

Also I don't know after I burned in my m50 i feel they lost their bass I don't know why

i wanted to buy the alpha dogs, but since there are people who say it lacks in bass I did not.

Maybe i will consider buying closed headphones if open cans can't give me what I want but honestly which headphone will make say wow that is a real change in sound compared to m50

i listen to synthpop, rock, melodic rock, pop

Maybe to give you an idea I love a band called Deine Lakaien if you listen to a song called generator now he has deep vocals so I look for a headphone if I close my eyes I can feel all 3d elements in the sound

Money is not a problem its I am just confused what to buy open, closes headphones 

I know some will say if you want bass buy the beats as they are for bass heads but I tried them and they suck in mids.

I don't know maybe what I look for still does not exist?

V-Moda M100. I personally thought the M50's were very bassy, but also very overpowering for me. With the M100, the bass was definitely there but everything else was as well.

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 30
I see no budget..

Well, open bassy ones? Dt990, X1, HE-400 to mention some. I think what you look for exists. But it will most likely be a trade off between bass and mids. I think the HE-400 strikes a nice balance in this regard.

Regarding generator.. To my ears the song just ain't that 3d-ish. And the vocals don't seem to be intended to be that deep sounding, nor is the bass. Just how it is mastered I suppose. Just some random thoughts.

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 30
so comparing he 400 with dt990 or HE 500 what you think

and comparing with HD800 

i know that the song generator might not be  good description but thats the songs types I listen to

What I struggle with most is the bad quality of a genre called synth pop ( dark ) especially like bands like Clan of Xymox their latter albums, so I don't know is the headphones I use the m50 or the recording. I use the fiio x3 which is amped with ifi ican nano for playback and I have their albums in flac format.

also depeche mode albums especially black celebration is really bad quality, even their remastered cds r?

I don't know maybe I should change my music tastes as all this genre sounds awful, most of the bands are synth pop german bands and you can't find their cds in stores, maybe because they are unpopular their recording quality sucks

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 30
Well.. I like metal and have the same problem. I used to love Machine Head but the quality is simply too poor. 

Your amping is adequate for the headphones I mentioned earlier.. Not so with he500 and hd800. he500 might be viable but not sure you'd want hd800. 

Maybe take a look at th-600?

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 30
so u think buying he400 or dt990 will give me a wow effect compared to ath m50 or shall i invest in better portable gear than headphones like DAPS 

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 30
  so u think buying he400 or dt990 will give me a wow effect compared to ath m50 or shall i invest in better portable gear than headphones like DAPS 

I think they will.. and HE-400 is on sale for only 300$. But it has a fairly pronounced treble and is by no means flawless. The HE-500 is simply put the more neutral and hifi-ish headphone of the two.

I have no experience with the x1. Generally speaking, the he400 is considered a level above both the x1 and dt990. 

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #9 of 30
  I think they will.. and HE-400 is on sale for only 300$. But it has a fairly pronounced treble and is by no means flawless. The HE-500 is simply put the more neutral and hifi-ish headphone of the two.

I have no experience with the x1. Generally speaking, the he400 is considered a level above both the x1 and dt990. 

so comparing the treble of he400 with ath m50 is it more sharp i hope its not gives a warmer sound than m50 as i hate the mids in m50 and the highs

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 30
Great bass? Try the Ultrasone Pro 900. Someone on amazon's selling a new pair for only $300 right now.

The PRO 900 has a distinct sound sig though, light in the midrange, heavy in the bass.

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #11 of 30

so comparing the treble of he400 with ath m50 is it more sharp i hope its not gives a warmer sound than m50 as i hate the mids in m50 and the highs

Can't say for sure, haven't tried the m50. I doubt he400 is more sharp in the treble and it should for sure have better mids.

Maybe it would be safer not to go with he400 or dt990, they are both v-shaped to some extend.

He500 might be good for you.

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #12 of 30
  Can't say for sure, haven't tried the m50. I doubt he400 is more sharp in the treble and it should for sure have better mids.

Maybe it would be safer not to go with he400 or dt990, they are both v-shaped to some extend.

He500 might be good for you.

what you mean by  v-shaped to some extend.

which has better bass he400 or he500

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #13 of 30

what you mean by  v-shaped to some extend.

which has better bass he400 or he500

v-shaped: more bass and treble

He400 has a slightly cleaner and more punchy bass than he500

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #14 of 30
If the mids and highs on the M50 was too much for you, then I doubt you'll like the mids and highs on the HE400 and HE500, especially the HE400 with that spike in the 10KHz.

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #15 of 30
Out of any open-backs I've heard, only the planars manage to have bass that sounds like a good closed back-- ie bass that extends down really low with authority.  Even bassy open-backs like DT990 tend to roll off in the sub-bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back