Which op-amps can I roll with my Emmeline HR-2?
May 3, 2004 at 6:11 PM Post #61 of 62
A quick note about the HR-2 and its power supply:

One thing I learned with Antique Sound Lab's TwinHead Mark II is that it sounds better with the power supply as far away from the amp section as the umbilical cords will allow. Achieving better separation and air was the most obvious benefit (versus placing the amp right next to the power supply). The giant tube-rectified power supply of the Twin Head Mark II, while being one of the keys to the Twin Head's magic, emits a heck of a magnetic field (easily maxing out both of my magnetic field meters) within inches of it -- I'm guessing that the amp section escaping the field has something to do with the better sound.

The HR-2's power supply doesn't emit quite as intense a magnetic field as the Twin Head Mark II's power supply, but still enough to max out one of my magnetic field meters within a half-inch of the top and sides.

Long story short, here's a tip: use every inch of that umbilical cord that Ray Samuels Audio provides you with to place that power supply as far away from the amp as you can. While the magnetic field readings are just about at ambient levels a little over a foot away from the HR-2's power supply, it couldn't hurt to keep it as far away as you can. I did the same with one of the DAC's (MSB Gold Link III) and it's large power supply (MSB Power Base), finding a long enough umbilical cord to allow placement of the power supply on a stand on the floor. The HR-2's power supply is also on a stand on the floor, far enough away from the DAC's power supply to be out of its field.

Last tip: if it's within your budget, get a decent magnetic field meter. I have one that's omnidirectional (three-axis) for general field readings, and one that's very directional and more accurate. I use them to determine how to route all of the cables in my rigs (digital coaxial, analog interconnects, umbilical cords, and power cables), as well as where to place components. If you're just stacking your gear indiscriminately, you may not be extracting the best sound from your rig.

This post summed up in a sentence: Ray Samuels Audio gives you several feet of power supply umbilical cord with the HR-2, so use it.

May 3, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #62 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
I got a good 72 hours of burn in time for the LT1028. THIS OP-AMP IS BEAUTIFUL! It's got lots of heart and soul. Bass has body, weight, and slam.
basshead.gif
Midrange is very clear, organic, and warm. Furthermore, there is a tremendous spacious sound surrounding each note: this makes everything sound very natural, realistic, and convincing. Vocals have breathing room to sound just absolutely real, natural, and spectacular. Treble extension is clear, extended, and articulated. Moreover, tympanis, cymbals, and sopranos sound so crystal clear and precise that it is just uncanny. I find that the LT1028 has greater detail retrieval than the AD797 and AD8065. I can simply hear fine nuances and details in all of my music that I never noticed with those op-amps installed. It is like I am on a treasure hunt! I am rediscovering how those little sounds make music all the more enjoyable and realistic, natural, and organic. I am amazed by the fact that it all sounds well balanced and articulated; everything just sounds so real and live. Is this what real tubes sound like? If so, then sign me up for the Emmeline II The Stealth!
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

I now think I get why people simply fall in love with tubes. The sound is so natural, real, and live. There is this lush bloom in the midrange that gives the sound big heart and soul. Bass simply thumps, thwacks, and booms like nothing else. Oh my God!
eek.gif
This is a beautiful sounding op-amp!
biggrin.gif

Welly- Thanks for the tip on the LT1028! Just rolled a pair into the XP-7 and even without burn-in I fully agree with your conclusions. I had been enjoying the AD797 but just had to give these a go. For those who find the XP-7 dark and rolled off the LT1028 should change your opinion. Bass feels like it gained extension-very articulate yet deep and full. Treble is not rolled off but clear and airy. Midrange is still smooth. Soundstage is wider, higher, and deeper. The RS-1s with flat pads just disappear. If it only improves with burn-in the LT1028s are keepers for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back