Which op-amps can I roll with my Emmeline HR-2?
Oct 19, 2003 at 12:21 AM Post #16 of 62
Hear is what someone thought of the AD-8065 in the PPA and the Dual AD-8066 In the META42
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ghlight=ad8065

SteeleBlayde Did some listening to the same HR-2 I Auditioned. I left the AD8065 installed when Wilson reclaimed his HR-2. since the Amp had OPA-627, LT1028 and the AD-797 I gave them the AD-8065 op amp since IMHO this is what sounded best in that Amp and I thought others might want to give it a listen also. Apparently this was a good thing based upon SteeleBlayde Positive response to it. http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ghlight=ad8065

Oct 19, 2003 at 8:05 PM Post #17 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Ray Samuels
Instructions on rolling op-amps & how to remove the emmeline HR-2 top cover, & which pin is #1 & how to make sure the op-amp is lined up with it's socket.

Ray, is there any chance that you could post this information to the Emmiline IC rolling thread? I have a feeling this will come in very handy to a lot of folks. Might also be nice to cover the XP-7, since I'm betting it's a big seller!

Oct 19, 2003 at 8:50 PM Post #18 of 62
Instructions on how to Install new op-amps into Emmeline HR-2...

1st: Remove two TOP allen screws ONLY from the front panel.
2nd: Remove two TOP philips screws ONLY from the back panel.
3rd The top shell should come off by pulling it upward.
There are two rectangular black devices closer to the rear of the amp. In the stock HR-2 these two devices are silk screene with AD797. These are called op-amps. They are mounted on top of a socket by being inserted with a finger pressure. Look at the top center (middle) of this little op-amp, which is facing the front of the amp, you will see a little ( DENT) or CUT. Left of that cut & the very first pin (leg) of the IC is pin #1 That you have to always remember. Pull only one chip out using IC tool, available at Radio Shack. Look closely at the socket which the IC was inserted in it,
you will find that the socket has also the same type of cut on the top section, again indicating the left top pin of that cut is pin # 1.
Now if you are inserting another op-amp make sure that you line up the cut of the op-amp with that of it's socket.push gently & make sure that all these 8 pins are getting inside there respected holes. Now you do the second IC & do the same. Always do one first & use the second as a refrance for insirting the new op-amps.
You do all this with power being turned OFF.
New IC will take 100 hours of none stop music to break-in in order to sound right. You don't have to do that again on burned-in IC's. Now you install the top shell & fasten the screws & wish & pray that You did every thing right.
eek.gif
confused.gif
redface.gif

Ray Samuels

Jan 2, 2004 at 2:59 PM Post #20 of 62
Hi CRESCENDOPOWER....
The AD8620 is a dual op amp it will not work in the HR-2, But the AD8610 which is a single buffer,that works very well. It has bigger sound stage when installed in the Emmeline HR-2.
It is a great op-amp.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

Jan 2, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #22 of 62
Hi,
is it just me, or am i the only one that really enjoys the amp the way it came, and doesn't feel like switching op amps?

Sometimes i don't pay attention to details, i don't even remember which it came with, but i like it just the same (excuse my ignorance).

Let me know how it works out, but perhaps you would have preferred it originally? : ]

Jan 2, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #25 of 62
CRESCENDOPOWER, you should give the AD797s a spin, get the AD610s on the side to compare. AD797 sounds like your description above to me: "It seems more like a rockers type of op amp with more openness. Kind of reminds me a tube amp’s fatter bass, but with a naturally larger head stage than other solid-states I have heard. The top end is dynamic, but it doesn't blister my ears either."

Jan 2, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #27 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
Yeah, I think I'll PM Ray to put the AD797s in the amp, and I'll get the AD8610 on the side to try. It couldn't hurt.

I think Ray has turned that over to Todd. I think Todd is selling them for $25 for the pair.

Jan 2, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #28 of 62
Boy, there sure are a lot of Op amps to choose from.

What I want to know is which Op amp will give me a richer, slightly more forgiving sound?

Also, where do you buy these? I've looked at MCM, Mouser, Digi-key and can only seem to find one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back