Which one will it be: Sennheiser 650 or Beyerd 880 or AKG 702?
Apr 4, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #61 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another part of the Veil that is 75% the OEM cable. Right amp and cable and they will sound as fast as you want. IMO

Yes, I've heard recabling is a must. I should have prefaced in my previous post that my A/B testing experience was with stock models.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquanote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea thats why I ordered the Dt 880 now. As much as the sound is important to me, the comfort has to be outstanding since I´m gonna use them for hours long sessions. The 880´s supposed to be super soft and it looks that way too. Can´t way for monday when they will arrive
smile.gif

I think both the 650 and 880 are fine choices since I´n this thread alone many people praise both of them equally. Comfort made me go for the Beyers (for now
wink.gif
)

Congrats, Aquanote. Let us know of your impressions and how they pair with the ASUS Xonar Essence STX. I take it you picked up a stock 250 ohm DT880 Premium model as opposed to the 600 ohm model. The former requires significant burn-in to smooth out the highs so have patience.

I found the Denon's comfort up there with the pleather pads. The clamping force is much less than the beyers and may be just right or too loose depending on the size of your noggin.

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #62 of 70
hehe my big ol head and dumbo ears will thank me hopefully.

Yea I ordered the 250 Ohm Edition 2005 Model. Definitely I will give them extended burn in of 100 hours + just to be sure. I will, of course, report back and tell how I like the STX with the Beyers. Can´t make any comparisons though since this is my first high class source+can combo.

Apr 4, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #63 of 70
I would recommend the Sennheiser HD-600 or HD-650s. I have the DT-880s (new version) and I absolutely LOVE them for rock music, but they just do not have the right bass for any type of electronica music. I use my DT-770 Pros for electronica for the time being until I can afford some HD-650s next month. The Sennheiser HD cans will blow your mind with bass and clarity.

Apr 4, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #65 of 70
no problem just because I bought them doesn´t mean I like them (yet) we´ll see..

but you are the first one saying that the 880´s are more for rock music and the senns for electronica. Up til now it was the other way around. Hmmm....

popcorn.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #66 of 70
I didn't mean to insinuate the 880s are better for rock than the Sennheisers. Once I get my HD650s I'll most likely just use them for everything as I'm looking for something that is great at everything. The 880s are not great at everything as they have almost no bass (on the new version at least.) I haven't really heard that many headphones other than beyers and sennheisers and I am a total basshead who finds the HD600 and HD650s to be perfectly fine for electronica and they are really bassy. Much bassier than my DT-770s. My DT-880s have nearly no bass so they are not suitable for electronica IMO.

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #68 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquanote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehe my big ol head and dumbo ears will thank me hopefully.

Yea I ordered the 250 Ohm Edition 2005 Model. Definitely I will give them extended burn in of 100 hours + just to be sure. I will, of course, report back and tell how I like the STX with the Beyers. Can´t make any comparisons though since this is my first high class source+can combo.

Maybe you need more clamping pressure to 'flatten' your dumbo ears.
floatsmile.png
I have the X-Fi Prelude and the STX sounds like a good value if it has the juice to drive the beyers. No worries about the comparison. Electronica is pretty broad so you might want to touch on the particular bands, songs you favor. Everyone's ears are shaped differently and there are a myriad of variables in play with listening preferences, quality of rips, source, and amp combinations. Once you get familiar with the house signatures, you can go nuts on the wallet with recabling your cans, power cables, interconnects, power line conditioners, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arfett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't mean to insinuate the 880s are better for rock than the Sennheisers. Once I get my HD650s I'll most likely just use them for everything as I'm looking for something that is great at everything. The 880s are not great at everything as they have almost no bass (on the new version at least.) I haven't really heard that many headphones other than beyers and sennheisers and I am a total basshead who finds the HD600 and HD650s to be perfectly fine for electronica and they are really bassy. Much bassier than my DT-770s. My DT-880s have nearly no bass so they are not suitable for electronica IMO.

It sounds like you're a basshead. Growing up on R&B, hip hop, freestyle, dance music, I was also a basshead and would EQ a U-shaped frequency response. However, with the help of Head-Fi community I quickly learned that neutral was the way to go.

My first beyer experience was with the DT770/250. Coming from Sony, I felt the bass was overwhelming and muddied. I then tested the DT990/250 and the bass is much more tamed. I was about to pull the trigger on them and decided to spend a little bit more for the DT880/250 based on the beyer community's experience. Have you tried the DT990s? The 600 ohm model may be your cup of tea as it has more bass than the DT880s without the boominess of the DT770s.

I noticed you are considering the Compass. Before selling the DT880s, you might want to give them a try with the Compass. While the DT880s are not bass heavy like the DT770s, the bass quality and extension is where it shines. Pairing them with the Compass amp, the DT880's bass really blossoms and there is plenty of umph for electronica. I'm currently using the Earth-Neutral setting and apparently, the Moon accentuates the bass even more for the bassheads in the house!

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #69 of 70
I'm only going to use the compass as my amp for a short period. I'm getting some HD-650s soon and probably a Gilmore Lite amp. The compass will then be only a cheap DAC/backup amp in case anything happens to the Gilmore. I haven't had a chance to try the 990s, but I really like the high end Sennheisers so I probably won't give them a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back