Which one should I go with?
Apr 23, 2006 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Tawcan

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I recently purchased Senheiser HD477 headphones b/c my old ones broke. The sound on the HD477 is decent but it's open so on the bus I can hear ppl around me, it's rather annoying. Also because it's open if I crank it up in the library ppl can hear me. So I'm looking for another one (I can return the HD477).

I usually use the headphones to listen to music via my mp3 players. From time to time I hook them up on my computer. Mainly listen to mp3 music.

I looked up on Futureshop and have narrowed down to these choices:

Sennheiser HD 555
Bose TriPort
Sennheiser HD 515

They're quite expensive (~$200 CAN). Which one would be the best for my use? I read some review saying that HD515 doesn't sound that good. A friend of mine has the Bose TriPort. It seems to block out the sound pretty well but I read that there's a plastic part that broke quite often. Haven't read too much on HD 555.

So would it be a good idea to return my HD 477 and purchase one of these? Would I hear much difference at all?

Thanx.

Edit: After reading a few threads no longer considering Bose.
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #2 of 20
I smell a Bose discussion coming...

Piece of advice... search on the forum for Bose first.

Apr 23, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #4 of 20
definitely rock the senn 555. You are about to get pretty flamed my friend, so be ready. triport is fightin around these parts...
biggrin.gif
And definitely shop around, you can definitely find better prices on the net. Futureshop is pretty overpriced.
Slade

Apr 23, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #6 of 20
Tawcan-

I just looked at Futureshop and those prices are a little steep. Pricegrabber (among others) can get you a much better deal. eBay is a good source, too.

If you're willing to spend $199 on the HD-555, search for the HD-600 on eBay. I just saw some new ones going for $219. Also, you can turn up the HD-580 around $150 these days, and that's a good one to go with, too.

Also in this price range are the Grado SR-60, Grado SR-125 and the Alessandro MS-1.

Grados will perform better than Sennheisers out of an MP3 player (unamped, I assume), though I get decent reproduction with a HD-650 plugged into an iPod. Sounds better amped, but the iPod is good enough.

Be sure to browse the forums a little more before making a purchase. If a headphone beigns to look good to you, run a search for that model and see what people have to say.

Apr 23, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #8 of 20
How much treble do you like in your music?

If you don't mind treble emphasis, I think the MS-1s would be a good place to start. That's what I started with, and many people swear by them as starter cans -- darker sound than most Grados, so as not to push the limits of brightness, $99 shipped ANYWHERE (except maybe Antarctica), and a tight, impactful snap to its notes.

Apr 23, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #10 of 20
I'll second the MS-1 recomendation, and add that if you don't want to use an amp, the MS-1 is a very good choice!

Apr 23, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #11 of 20
Well he wants some isolation, most of these recommendations (if not all?) are open phones. Thus you'll still make a racket in the library and still have to blast them at earsplitting levels on the bus to hear.

So...how about something like a Beyerdynamic DT770 or Audio Technica A900, which can be had easily for less than $200 new.

There are a few other nice suggestions in the bose alternative thread, so take a look there too.

Apr 23, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #12 of 20
You really need to tell us exactly how much you want to spend in USd.

If you want a totally closed can, but don't want to spend a ton, I would go with the ATH-A500. I have heard pretty good things about it, has a TON of bass, if that's what you like.

If you want near total isolation though, go with an IEM (in ear monitor) Like an ety, maybe the er6i, which is specifically made for use with the ipod. You will hear pretty much NOTHING except for the growl of the engine. Also, these would be the quietest by far in the library, as closed cans tend to leak a bit.

Browse the headphone section as much as you can for more help.
Slade

Apr 23, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 20
Thanx for the replies for far. The problem with a lot of this suggestions is that I can't get them in Canada. I can always get them from E-bay I suppose.

The HD477 let in outside noise and it's just pretty annoying when I'm on the bus listening to music and I can still hear ppl's conversation (meaning I have to crank it way up...)

I listen to mostly rock music. In Winamp I use the "rock" preset in the equalizer.

Apr 23, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 20
Hey Tawcan - I'm not sure where you are in Canada, but there are a few stores in the Toronto area I could recommend.

The majority of recommendations so far have been open headphones. If you're looking for isolation from outside noise, they won't do you any good, and if leaking noise is an issue, stay far away. Especially the Grados (wonderful sound, but they leak sound like a flood.

My biggest recommendation would be to take a look at the Beyer Dynamics, as mentioned above, and possibly to following, which are getting RAVE reviews:

AKG: K81DJ
Sennheiser: HD 25
Ultrasone: HFI-550 (Haven't heard much about these, but a friend of mine used them recently for a week and loved them)

Anyway, happy hunting, and try to stay away from noise-cancelling headphones. Personal recommendation.

Apr 23, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #15 of 20
I'm confused on why they make open headphones. I thought the whole reason behind these big cans is to block out noise?
confused.gif

Oh I'm from Vancouver.

How is Sennheiser HD280 in terms of blocking out outside sound and the sound performance?

Hd555 is open as well?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back