Which one should I go with?
Apr 23, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #16 of 20
At least open headphones still produce a much softer sound than loudspeakers
biggrin.gif

HeadRoom is your friend - not neccessarily because they have low prices (high int'l shipping prices) - but because they offer good insight into the phones they carry.

Sennheiser - 555, 595, 580, 600, 650 are open. Granted, they'll block some sound (I was wearing 595 in the train yesterday) but not enough.

Closed phones - really, the person outside will hear nothing. I have a pair of MDR-CD900ST (closed Sony studio monitors) and the sound of the bookstore cafe was significantly reduced.

However, when I really don't want to hear ANYTHING, I go for in ear monitors. canal phones don't leak noise, and the IEMs are designed to seal off your ear canal so you can't hear most things around you.

Apr 23, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #17 of 20
The reason hi-fi cans are typically open is so the air can move. When the driver gets going, it is moving a lot of air for the small space it is contained in. It also opens up the soundstage a lot more and gives it an "airy" feeling that is very desirable.

In a closed can, the air doesn't move as well and they typically are more "in your face" than an open can, although not always. The HD280 is pretty good for isolation, from what I've heard.

Slade

Apr 23, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawcan
I'm confused on why they make open headphones. I thought the whole reason behind these big cans is to block out noise?
confused.gif

Oh I'm from Vancouver.

How is Sennheiser HD280 in terms of blocking out outside sound and the sound performance?

Hd555 is open as well?
confused.gif

With open headphones the drivers start fresh with every cycle and dont fight the wave coming back from the last cycle(off the bounce from the closed back). Givin this they just sound better.

Apr 23, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #20 of 20
Okay... here is the case why i think you should go for either the Shure E4c or Ultiamte Ears Sfp 5
1. They isolate you so that you don't here none of the outside world
2. they sound really good, as good as open headphones
3. no one can hear what you are listening to, thus it's easier to listen in the librarry
4. They are low impedance and can be driven by an mp3 player, thus you have no need for external amps and junk like that.
5. they don't look so weird in public as those other big headphones
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back