Which new Customs, UE IERM or JH13 Pro?
Nov 8, 2010 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

joesuburb

100+ Head-Fier
I'm biting the bullet and buying my 1st set of customs.  I know it's preference and we are dealing with great products all around.  So, please avoid making this a flame war.  But, if you had to choose one, would it be the UE in-ear reference monitor, or the JH13pro?

I currently have a bunch of warmer type IEMs and would like my customs to be neutral, yet still enjoyable. I don't think I have ever found an IEM that I LOVE.  But, to give you an idea, I LOVE my B&W Natualis 802D rig, but never fell in love with my DynAudio S5.4s.  Both are driven by the very similar amps. Marantz sr8001/sr8002 which have the same torodial transformer.  I would describe the Dynaudio as flat and clinical compared to the B&Ws.  So, maybe I'm not looking for something completely neutral.  I really HATE buying expensive IEMs because you can't demo them or even A/B compare them in a listening room.  

I'm leaning towards the UE IERM.

In any event, hereis what I'm looking for and how I rate them.

Sound Quality - High
I'm all over, but I'm an old guy
(Andy McCee, Antoine Dufour, Diana Krall, AC/DC, Motown, Bruce Springsteen, James Taylor)
I'm not impressed by a bunch of marketing crap, if anything the JH13pro scares me with that many drivers.  From what I can tell the JH13Pro are perfect, but then again, the new UEs seem perfect.  So I just have no idea.  I hate hate hate buying speakers without demoing them.

Sound Isolation - High
I'm leaning towards the UE with the new hybrid material.  I work in a loud data center a lot and also am on International flights 6-10 times a year

Value - Medium
I'm not rich.  I'd prefer to get a decent value for the money.  But, at the same time, I want something I will love.  I'm willing to pay, but not just to have the one with the most impressive sticker.  So, if there is something cheaper and just as good, I'd love to hear your feedback.  I'm leaning towards the UE because they are cheaper, plus they are local so I can get the impression at their office.

Durability - Medium
I will be using these every single day of my life.  I'd like something that will last.  

Other Stuff - Low but a consideration
The UE look pretty, have a great looking cable and have a nice looking case.  Plus they are local and it would be great to support a SoCal based company plus actually go see where they are made.

I also will be driving this mostly with an iPhone.  I wouldn't be against getting a better source, but when I travel for work, I just don't want to lug anything more along.  I think the JH is more efficient, but I don't care to play things super loud.

Anyhow, let me know your thoughts.  I will probably pull the trigger if they go on sale for the holidays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back