Which mustang you like better? (Fosse VS Boyd)
Aug 21, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #17 of 47
I like the Foose car much better. I'm biased as I know and respect Chip a lot. His car has more custom bits and Boyd's car is pure bolt-ons. Take a look at the Foose car and notice the custome grille,hood and other body parts. Also notice that the Foose car is a manual trans. I think it was meant more as a driver and the Boyd car is meant more for show.

Aug 21, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #18 of 47
I voted without even looking at the pics. After watching numerous episodes of both shows I would never want to own a Boyd... especially after watching the way he treats his employees. I know it's reality tv, but if you look closely they have a hell of a lot of turnover there... and that pretty much does it for me.

Aug 21, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #19 of 47
I like the grille on Fosse, but the grille-headlights on Boyd are cool. The vents behind the windows are cooler on boyd. But an ATX! ewwww! Who would buy a 400hp car then ruin it with an ATX? Fosse has a MTX, thus I vote for him. I can understand an ATX in most situations, but if you're going for a really nice race car, it's just not the same without a MTX.

Aug 21, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
I voted without even looking at the pics. After watching numerous episodes of both shows I would never want to own a Boyd... especially after watching the way he treats his employees. I know it's reality tv, but if you look closely they have a hell of a lot of turnover there... and that pretty much does it for me.

Ditto, Foose all the way.

Aug 21, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
I'd take Shelby Mustang Cobra over those two anytime and anywhere. Why? It's an official Shelby Stang where the brand and its name will hold up in value over time. For sure its look is also more integrated due to the inhouse design by Ford. Of course no denying that it's all covered by Ford's warranty too.

I get the feeling that the Shelby(is it really a Shelby even?) Mustang is not gonna be as fast as everyone is anticipating. Even if does have 450-475 horsepower,it weighs nearly 3800 pounds. That's a full 400lbs heavier than the last Cobra that had 390 Horsepower. It's gonna take more than big power to overcome that weight. I think we'll get a car that's about as fast as the old car,which is not slow by any means but it will ultimately fall short of the expectations of the real driving enthusiasts. My wife's 2005 GT ragtop is a great car and is built very well. It performs great but I think any serious performance upgrades should include a big time reduction in weight. I'm sure there are heavier cars that perform very well but they aren't strapped down with a live axle and aren't as nose-heavy as the Stang is. I'd take a Shelby with an independant rear,about 500-600lbs lighter, with a nice,normally aspirated(non-supercharged) 5.4 liter engine with around 400 Horsepower. If it came from the factory with stuff like adjustable coil-overs,racing harnesses and a fuel cell,that would really demonstrate what a real Shelby Mustang should be.

Aug 21, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #22 of 47
speaking of the 05 mustang in general...

I think its about Darn time ford stepped up this car in terms of quality!
I would expect nice interior's on the upscale part of ford from lincoln of course, but when I sat in the 05 mustang I couldnt believe they actually did what I seen. I asked the dealer if it was a custom interior, after I got a no I still didnt believe him until I seen and felt the same interior on other 05's.

the interior Is a major step up and its pretty darn good even when compared one of my fav interior of all time (My TT). I love the REAL chrome like My TT has inside, even bmw or the c6 has cheap looking plastic but not the stang. the leather in the stang is a cheaper grain (hard surface) but still better then some gm's I seen at double the price. the stitching on the seats is top end to, feel under the seat and its actually tucked in not like some seats where it just ends like a seat cover.

the color changing lighting is panache, lol. the overall layout of the 05 mustang is retro but modern, very nice!

the 05 stang and the 300 hemi are my 2 fav american cars, not for their specs but their design and build inside! its great to see the american car companies starting to put great interior's inside their mid priced stuff!!!

Aug 22, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
I get the feeling that the Shelby(is it really a Shelby even?) Mustang is not gonna be as fast as everyone is anticipating. Even if does have 450-475 horsepower,it weighs nearly 3800 pounds. That's a full 400lbs heavier than the last Cobra that had 390 Horsepower. It's gonna take more than big power to overcome that weight.

I am in total accord with your opinion that the car should be lighter, but isnt it a bit of a tradition for American muscle cars to overcome weight or any such deficiencies with power? I always had an impression that weight is not much a concern there since you have engines with masses of torque and horsepower, thus the sensibility of new hyper power SUVs taking over the place of modern muscle cars.

Coming back to the latest Mustang chassis, the original package itself has considerable bulk for what is. It is so big, so heavy and like the Audi TT, it sacrifises aero for style. It was pretty much apparent on the GTR concept of the Mustang. Despite the racer diet, it was still quite heavy. Nothing like a 911 GT3R or a Corvette C6R.

My point is that I dont think the Mustang cares of any of that. I think it is the opposite kind of car the Lotus Elise represents. Delicacies such as power to weight ratio, sophisticated software and those absurd paddle shift semi-automatics just wouldnt be right on a Mustang. I dont think having a live axle that comes from the stone age is much of an issue in this car. That is because it has a proper American style V8 with torque to match a Boeing 747. So in this perspective I think the Shelby Mustang is the ultimate of all modern Mustangs. Its just so "Mustang". Thats the charm of it really.
biggrin.gif

As long as it has a manual transmission. I just cant respect people with automatics in their perfectly good sports cars.

Aug 22, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
I dislike the phony air scoops on the sides of Foose's Mustang. Scoops that don't go anywhere just scream "ricer" to me, like wings on a FWD vehicle.

Those scoops are a feature of the old shelby mustangs.

Aug 22, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85
I am in total accord with your opinion that the car should be lighter, but isnt it a bit of a tradition for American muscle cars to overcome weight or any such deficiencies with power? I always had an impression that weight is not much a concern there since you have engines with masses of torque and horsepower, thus the sensibility of new hyper power SUVs taking over the place of modern muscle cars.

Coming back to the latest Mustang chassis, the original package itself has considerable bulk for what is. It is so big, so heavy and like the Audi TT, it sacrifises aero for style. It was pretty much apparent on the GTR concept of the Mustang. Despite the racer diet, it was still quite heavy. Nothing like a 911 GT3R or a Corvette C6R.

My point is that I dont think the Mustang cares of any of that. I think it is the opposite kind of car the Lotus Elise represents. Delicacies such as power to weight ratio, sophisticated software and those absurd paddle shift semi-automatics just wouldnt be right on a Mustang. I dont think having a live axle that comes from the stone age is much of an issue in this car. That is because it has a proper American style V8 with torque to match a Boeing 747. So in this perspective I think the Shelby Mustang is the ultimate of all modern Mustangs. Its just so "Mustang". Thats the charm of it really.
biggrin.gif

As long as it has a manual transmission. I just cant respect people with automatics in their perfectly good sports cars.

If you take a look at the original Shelby Mustangs and Cobras,as well as other fast Stangs like the Boss 302,they were great because they were light,powerful and fast. They handled great and were built to race. Look how many of these cars ended up on racetracks around the world. Mustangs have typically been light and fast and that formula worked well all through the 90's with the GT and especially the LX 5.0 liter cars. I recall that a 1989 Mustang LX 5.0 weighed right around 3000 pounds with a manual trans. These cars were really quick for that time and were super easy to make go faster. I think Ford should renew the commitment to the enthusiasts who helped make the Mustang a great little Pony car. I have no idea who the new Shelby is aimed at but I can see this one being popular with the gold chain crowd and collectors. I doubt you'll see many of them at racetracks.

Aug 22, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #27 of 47
...as the only Mustang that ever really impressed me was the Boss 429. I have never otherwise seen an engine so fill an engine bay...
blink.gif

Laz

Aug 22, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85
The new CSR isnt that with the Cosworth racing engine. Good to see a 7 fan.
biggrin.gif

Yep, and it is a sweeeet ride. Super 7, they don't call it super for nothing
biggrin.gif

580smile.gif
Abe

Aug 22, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #30 of 47
Boyds.. I prefer the cleaner lines... OOh I see Turbo!! Me like boost... Wonder if he squeezed the intercooler under that plastic trim?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back