Which Music-Player : Jplay or Jriver?
May 31, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #16 of 48

I've never heard a difference between bitperfect output modes either way.

Note that HQPlayer has a really bad interface, though this won't matter if you're using Tidal or another interface like Roon.

Indeed I just have to use HQplayer to handle the sound (ASIO). Just cannot find a Windows tutorial of HQplayer Schiit setup yet. Schiit has only a linux-guide on their website :frowning2:

May 31, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #18 of 48

I've owned Schiit DACs. It should show up in HQPlayer's settings on the Device panel.

On their Linux-guide they speak about DoP. http://schiit.com/guides/dsd-setup. Wondering if  ASIO could be selected.

May 31, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #20 of 48
My vote is for Jriver. It really meshes well with any DAC on the market and also updates quite frequently to stay on top of new technologies and improvements.

May 31, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #23 of 48
  Yea thats the downside unfortunately. But I think that income helps them keep up R&D.

Personally I'd only consider it if they could achieve better sound quality than HQPlayer.
cool.gif

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #24 of 48

JRiver is cheaper and has a decent interface, while JPLAY is more like a plugin that interfaces with other players, unless you use the JPLAYmini player, which is basically a window that looks like a text file that you copy/paste music into. HQPlayer also supports Tidal, and like I mentioned, HQPlayer has much better sound quality.

All three programs have free trials available, so you can try them out for yourself without having to make an immediate decision. The JPLAY trial has no time limit and is fully functional except that it inserts a few seconds of silence every few minutes.

Or JPLAYStreamer which is our own OpenHome implementation and converts your PC into an audiophile network streamer that can be controlled with most wireless devices. And if you have android smartphone/tablet you can also use Tidal with it. 

Regards, 
Marcin (JPLAY)

Jun 1, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #25 of 48
Or JPLAYStreamer which is our own OpenHome implementation and converts your PC into an audiophile network streamer that can be controlled with most wireless devices. And if you have android smartphone/tablet you can also use Tidal with it. 

Regards, 
Marcin (JPLAY)

That would be a option if you could tell me how to activate ASIO in JPLAY for my Schiit DAC BiFrost Multibit.
just some discussion on a other forum going on, see beneath. 

Nope. When you're playing sounds using ASIO, all other sounds are muted but they don't stop working unlike WASAPI exclusive.

Exactly that's why I am not a big fan of WASAPI. All other sounds mute is fine. But with WASAPI is results in applications crashing etc. When I activate WASAPI exclusive mode in TIDAL and open a video on youtube (chrome), it kinda crashes the whole browser, eventually even crashes Tidal. Well the music played through that will be either scrambled(unhearable) or it is even silent (no sound at all). Meaning that I have to close and open the applications again.

It seems that I got ASIO working in Foobar together with a plugin + ASIObridge. Yet I want a solution with a integration Tidal. So far Jriver, Jplay and HQplayer has TIDAL-support and all support ASIO. HQplayer seems to deliver the best soundquality (is also the most expensive one), it requires Roon (for Tidal) which is ****loads of money (110 euro a year or like 400 euro lifetime). So that would be like 550 euro's on software. Not that price really holds me from buying it, but I have to be certain that the software works. But it is unclear how activate ASIO for my Schiit Bifrost DAC in Jriver/JPay and HQplayer. Hopefully Schiit does answer on my guide request as well. Schiit has a Jriver guide and they talk about activating DSD DoP (this is a other kind of ASIO? ) How does that one perform in combination with Direct-Sound?

On the Driver-website of Schiit in the notes (2) they have a alternative driver named : Schiit_AUDIO v1.0.1. But I can't find any information about that driver.
No date when it has been released, or which basic c-media driver it is using (or is it from ASIO itself). Not even a screenshot of the interface-layout. Also I am uncertain if the interface allow me to switch between the modes (ASIO/Direct Sound or WASAPI) or if the Schiit_AUDIO driver only has a ASIO-mode. Also I have to uninstall the current driver of C-MEDIA to instal lthat one. So it ain't just a additional package. I did email Schiit for a guide, hopefully they respond as well. 

Anyone experience with that alternative Schiit ASIO driver ( http://schiit.com/drivers, see last line of the page)

Why is this stuff so complicated? :D

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #26 of 48
it requires Roon (for Tidal) which is ****loads of money (110 euro a year or like 400 euro lifetime). So that would be like 550 euro's on software. Not that price really holds me from buying it, but I have to be certain that the software works. But it is unclear how activate ASIO for my Schiit Bifrost DAC in Jriver/JPay and HQplayer. Hopefully Schiit does answer on my guide request as well. Schiit has a Jriver guide and they talk about activating DSD DoP (this is a other kind of ASIO? ) How does that one perform in combination with Direct-Sound?
On the Driver-website of Schiit in the notes (2) they have a alternative driver named : Schiit_AUDIO v1.0.1. But I can't find any information about that driver.
No date when it has been released, or which basic c-media driver it is using (or is it from ASIO itself). Not even a screenshot of the interface-layout. Also I am uncertain if the interface allow me to switch between the modes (ASIO/Direct Sound or WASAPI) or if the Schiit_AUDIO driver only has a ASIO-mode. Also I have to uninstall the current driver of C-MEDIA to instal lthat one. So it ain't just a additional package. I did email Schiit for a guide, hopefully they respond as well. 

Anyone experience with that alternative Schiit ASIO driver ( http://schiit.com/drivers, see last line of the page)

I'm pretty sure HQPlayer does not require Roon to work with Tidal. Looks like some are using it with Kodi.

For what it's worth, Roon also has a free trial...but yeah, it's crazy expensive.

In my experience, you just install the driver for your DAC, and once that's done, music players should recognize the driver in the settings. So I say experiment.

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #27 of 48
  That would be a option if you could tell me how to activate ASIO in JPLAY for my Schiit DAC BiFrost Multibit.
just some discussion on a other forum going on, see beneath. 

Exactly that's why I am not a big fan of WASAPI. All other sounds mute is fine. But with WASAPI is results in applications crashing etc. When I activate WASAPI exclusive mode in TIDAL and open a video on youtube (chrome), it kinda crashes the whole browser, eventually even crashes Tidal. Well the music played through that will be either scrambled(unhearable) or it is even silent (no sound at all). Meaning that I have to close and open the applications again.

It seems that I got ASIO working in Foobar together with a plugin + ASIObridge. Yet I want a solution with a integration Tidal. So far Jriver, Jplay and HQplayer has TIDAL-support and all support ASIO. HQplayer seems to deliver the best soundquality (is also the most expensive one), it requires Roon (for Tidal) which is ****loads of money (110 euro a year or like 400 euro lifetime). So that would be like 550 euro's on software. Not that price really holds me from buying it, but I have to be certain that the software works. But it is unclear how activate ASIO for my Schiit Bifrost DAC in Jriver/JPay and HQplayer. Hopefully Schiit does answer on my guide request as well. Schiit has a Jriver guide and they talk about activating DSD DoP (this is a other kind of ASIO? ) How does that one perform in combination with Direct-Sound?

Why is this stuff so complicated? :D

Just select ASIO as 'Playing via' in JPLAYSettings panel :)

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #28 of 48

Just select ASIO as 'Playing via' in JPLAYSettings panel :)

Really? So JPLAY has a built-in plugin? No further action needed by installing alternative Schiit- Asio drivers etc?
Tidal music (Local APP) could be played through the ASIO Jplay?

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #30 of 48

If DAC drivers come with ASIO support then that's it :)

Yes I doubt that. Schiit cannot answer that. When I download for example the default C-media Driver by schiit. Version V.1.3 example I see some ASIO-DLLS in the folder structure.
But I went for the automatic Windows Update pushed C-media Schiit Driver (which is also newer than the V1.3). 
Schiit also recommends to use the automatic Windows Update pushed C-media-driver. Only install manually other versions if this somehow isn't working.
Not certain if this newer C-media driver has some ASIO-dlls as well.

In the last line to have a download link of a Schiit-ASIO driver, with almost no information. This is really badly documentated. 
But I must be not the only one with Schiit DAC's. I am hoping if someone could tell me exactly what to do. 
And if they have experience with that alternative Schiit-ASIO driver. Because wich version of C-media is his backend. Is it a complete different application?
Does it have the option to switch between ASIO/DirectSound or WASAPI? Because if this Schiit-ASIOdriver only allows ASIO-playback. Then I have some serious issues in computergames, youtube etc. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back