Which Music-Player : Jplay or Jriver?
Jun 1, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #31 of 48
  Yes I doubt that. Schiit cannot answer that. When I download for example the default C-media Driver by schiit. Version V.1.3 example I see some ASIO-DLLS in the folder structure.
But I went for the automatic Windows Update pushed C-media Schiit Driver (which is also newer than the V1.3). 
Schiit also recommends to use the automatic Windows Update pushed C-media-driver. Only install manually other versions if this somehow isn't working.
In the last line to have a download link of a Schiit-ASIO driver, with almost no information. This is really badly documentated. 
But I must be not the only one with Schiit DAC's. I am hoping if someone could tell me exactly what to do. 
And if they have experience with that alternative Schiit-ASIO driver. Because wich version of C-media is his backend. Is it a complete different application?
Does it have the option to switch between ASIO/DirectSound or WASAPI? Because if this Schiit-ASIOdriver only allows ASIO-playback. Then I have some serious issues in computergames, youtube etc. 

If your currently installed default Schiit driver does not let you choose ASIO in the output modes of various programs, then it looks like you will need to try installing the separate ASIO driver. Your questions will most easily be answered by experimenting, as I suggested, since you can install/uninstall both driver packages.

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #32 of 48
Yes I doubt that. Schiit cannot answer that. When I download for example the default C-media Driver by schiit. Version V.1.3 example I see some ASIO-DLLS in the folder structure.
But I went for the automatic Windows Update pushed C-media Schiit Driver (which is also newer than the V1.3). 

Schiit also recommends to use the automatic Windows Update pushed C-media-driver. Only install manually other versions if this somehow isn't working.

Not certain if this newer C-media driver has some ASIO-dlls as well.

In the last line to have a download link of a Schiit-ASIO driver, with almost no information. This is really badly documentated. 
But I must be not the only one with Schiit DAC's. I am hoping if someone could tell me exactly what to do. 
And if they have experience with that alternative Schiit-ASIO driver. Because wich version of C-media is his backend. Is it a complete different application?
Does it have the option to switch between ASIO/DirectSound or WASAPI? Because if this Schiit-ASIOdriver only allows ASIO-playback. Then I have some serious issues in computergames, youtube etc. 

Why not just use WASAPI? IMO, ASIO's popularity largely comes from the fact that it existed well before WASAPI. It was the only choice for high quality audio playback. I personally don't see the point in worrying about using it now that WASAPI is available.

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #33 of 48
Why not just use WASAPI? IMO, ASIO's popularity largely comes from the fact that it existed well before WASAPI. It was the only choice for high quality audio playback. I personally don't see the point in worrying about using it now that WASAPI is available.

I don't like the way WASAPI acts. It makes programs (like browser/youtube) unresponsive. If I enable in Tidal the exclusive-mode (which is WASAPI) and try to start a youtube-video in the browser for example while having tidal open en playing something, it becomes unresponsive. The video should play, just without sound
And in a while even Tidal starts bugging out : Sound is gone or I hear scrambled audio.  If a browser-crashes already, then I do not wanna know what happens in a certain computergame (even with sounddisabled in that game). It might be a issue of Tidal though.

Just for the record. Having WASAPI enabled in TIDAL without the use of youtube etc or playing games goes completely fine.

But it seems like it that ASIO-catch (lock the audio-source and seperation of programs) is better. Meaning that in other applications you just have no sound while using it without weird crashes or compatibility issues.

Like someone else quoted: 

Originally Posted by theveterans 

Nope. When you're playing sounds using ASIO, all other sounds are muted but they don't stop working unlike WASAPI exclusive

Jriver has btw DOP DSD. How does that work? Is it like ASIO or WASAPI?

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #34 of 48
I don't like the way WASAPI acts. It makes programs (like browser/youtube) unresponsive. If I enable in Tidal the exclusive-mode (which is WASAPI) and try to start a youtube-video in the browser for example while having tidal open en playing something, it becomes unresponsive.

That's weird. Haven't had that happen. Perhaps its a browser issue.

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #35 of 48
That's weird. Haven't had that happen. Perhaps its a browser issue.

Yes, might be Chrome or Tidal or the combination of the two. But this is just one example. There ar more people that prefer ASIO duo the compatiblity/stability issues with WASAPI.

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #36 of 48
Well, I think some people don't like exclusive mode. But I'm not convinced that there are a bunch of compatibility issues since I use it and don't have problems.

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #37 of 48
Well, I think some people don't like exclusive mode. But I'm not convinced that there are a bunch of compatibility issues since I use it and don't have problems.

It is weird though. I  enabled in Tidal the exclusive mode again. Did a application restart afterwards. Then tried chrome and firefox (youtube) and they both play the video (including sound). What. Shouldn't it mute it? :D . It is supposed to mute the directsound right? Instead I could hear now the tidal music (in exclusive mode) and the sound from a youtube-video at the same time. What is this kind of sorcery :D

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #38 of 48
If you have not done so already, you may also need to tell Windows in the device properties to allow exclusive mode. Just a guess.

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #39 of 48
If you have not done so already, you may also need to tell Windows in the device properties to allow exclusive mode. Just a guess.

I already did that in advanced speaker-settings. So that's not it. 

Jun 8, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #40 of 48
Hmm...

HQPlayer is the only one that I can find that doesn't mess up DSD on the Pioneer U-05 (other players either do DoP or play DSD but it is nothing but static) - enjoying the trial, but - the cost is a bit rich - hoping it includes lifetime updates etc.!

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #41 of 48
Hmm...

HQPlayer is the only one that I can find that doesn't mess up DSD on the Pioneer U-05 (other players either do DoP or play DSD but it is nothing but static) - enjoying the trial, but - the cost is a bit rich - hoping it includes lifetime updates etc.!

Eck. I was mistaken about lifetime updates:

Purchased license covers same major version (3.x) of the same product on the same operating system.

Some of my buddies are enjoying messing with the settings to get different sounds. It's sort of like experimenting with various DACs without having to buy them.

I'm also glad it is compatible with the (albeit much more expensive) Roon interface, because HQPlayer's interface is the worst I have ever seen. lol

Jun 9, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #42 of 48
Hmm, with the dragonfly (red) you get a three month trial of Roon... Guess I should try it out, albeit if I like it that is even more money!!

Thanks for the heads up on version numbers!!

Jun 9, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #43 of 48
Hmm, with the dragonfly (red) you get a three month trial of Roon... Guess I should try it out, albeit if I like it that is even more money!!

Thanks for the heads up on version numbers!!

Lucky! $119 per year or $499 for a lifetime license is pretty steep...but it seems to be the most well-regarded interface among high-end audiophiles.

On Signalyst's home page, you can see the update history of HQPlayer.

Jun 9, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #44 of 48
Lucky! $119 per year or $499 for a lifetime license is pretty steep...but it seems to be the most well-regarded interface among high-end audiophiles.

On Signalyst's home page, you can see the update history of HQPlayer.

Does anyone have experience with rune? How does it compare with jriver for hifi music playback?

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #45 of 48
Does anyone have experience with rune? How does it compare with jriver for hifi music playback?

Lots of the members with four-to-six-figure systems use Roon for its interface. They tend to congregate in the high-end section of the forum.

Here is a thread about Roon: http://www.head-fi.org/t/766454/roon-is-live

I'd wager that it sounds the same as JRiver if you are using bitperfect output. But some couple Roon with HQPlayer, which does DSP to (arguably) achieve higher fidelity audio.

If you'd like to experience it for yourself, Roon has a 14 day free trial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back